Re: [MedievalSawdust] hinged or sleeved side rails for rope bed

  • Trevor Payne
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 3, 2009
      So i post this question to all woodworkers with knowledge greater than my own. Is it structurally safe to lessen the length of the side rails by either..

      a)using hinges to create folding lengths

      b)using metal sleeves to join two shorter lengths

      ---------------------

      ME:

      Metal sleeves should work. Hinges I would not trust, wrenching the twisting would eventually rip the hinge or tear out the screws holding the hinge on.

      A metal sleeve, that is designed to fit snug and it made from fairly heavy duty metal (say 16ga or 14ga steel) should work. I would akin it to a beefed up ridge pole sleeve application:

      http://www.blockaderunner.com/Catalog/catpg33.htm
      (sleeve for ridgepole)

      Something like that, only made of thicker metal.

      If you added a solid wood cross piece to where the metal sleeves where, you would decrease the pulling stress from the ropes.

      Aiden
    • Wm G
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 3, 2009
        Avitoria vidua wrote:
        > I would like to build (or barter for) a rope bed. But i have precious little space for transportation. My nissan sentra has room for a few more poles, but only if i can keep them under 5ft.
        >
        > So i post this question to all woodworkers with knowledge greater than my own. Is it structurally safe to lessen the length of the side rails by either..
        > a)using hinges to create folding lengths
        > b)using metal sleeves to join two shorter lengths
        >
        > If either plan is feasible, which is better? (Keep in mind that this bed will need to support two full size scadians.) Also, where should i look for this type of hardware?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Avitoria

        Sleeved. Taper the poles to a similar point so the sleeve has no single
        point of torque (two 2x4/s end to end leaves a "fold point" that will
        eventually fail)
        Your local farrier or blacksmith, or Home Depot for 4" black iron pipe
        and fit the poles, not the sleeve?
        brother william
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 3, 2009
          It should work but I would consider adding an additional
          leg near that joint to help support the side rail and take stress
          off the hinge. ( which is the choice for the joint I would make )
           _______  _______
          [_______][_______]
           ||               ||                ||

          if that is at all clear.

          And for a rope bed I'd consider a single rigid slat to keep the
          tension of the ropes from pulling the side rails toward the center
          of the bed. Properly tensioned ropes are going to put a considerable
          amount of pull on that joint.

          --------------
          |                    |
          |                    |
          |                    |
          |========| joint
          |                    |
          |                    |
          |                    |
          --------------

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 3, 2009
            oh, and  bolts instead of screws in the hinges

            It should work but I would consider adding an additional
            leg near that joint to help support the side rail and take stress
            off the hinge. ( which is the choice for the joint I would make )
             _______  _______
            [_______][__ _____]
             ||               ||                ||

            if that is at all clear.

            And for a rope bed I'd consider a single rigid slat to keep the
            tension of the ropes from pulling the side rails toward the center
            of the bed. Properly tensioned ropes are going to put a considerable
            amount of pull on that joint.

            ------------ --
            |                    |
            |                    |
            |                    |
            |========| joint
            |                    |
            |                    |
            |                    |
            ------------ --

            I would like to build (or barter for) a rope bed. But i have precious little space for transportation. My nissan sentra has room for a few more poles, but only if i can keep them under 5ft.

            So i post this question to all woodworkers with knowledge greater than my own. Is it structurally safe to lessen the length of the side rails by either..
            a)using hinges to create folding lengths
            b)using metal sleeves to join two shorter lengths

            If either plan is feasible, which is better? (Keep in mind that this bed will need to support two full size scadians.) Also, where should i look for this type of hardware?

            Thanks,
            Avitoria

          • Bobby Bourgoin (Robert du Bourg)
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 3, 2009

              I would use a sleeve and add a leg close to or from the sleeve…

              Seigneur Robert du Bourg

              Sénéchal du Havre des Glaces

              Homme d’Arme de Lord Marek O’Brien

              Combattant, Archer, Menuisier, Danseur

              bobby.bourgoin@...

              Bobby Bourgoin

              I just hang on, and suffer well

              Sometimes it’s hard,,, so hard to tell.

              I fear neither, death nor pain.

              I fear a cage, to stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 5, 2009
                Thank you all for your suggestions. The help is always appreciated!

                Avitoria