Re: [MedievalSawdust] MAY PROJECT OF THE MONTH - SMALL CHEST or BOX

  • Dave Ordway
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 2, 2009
      Is it too late to enter a project for the month of May?

      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 2, 2009
        If you made it share it....

        I never actually got around to making a box myself...

        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 5, 2009
          Thanks Baron Conal,

          I make small boxes as an attempt toward relaxation.  My entry is a sliding lid box that was inspired from HBO's Rome series in which a daughter stole coin from her father from a box that had a sliding lid.  I paused the disc to examine the dimensions of the box and became intrigued as to whether or not it represented a piece from antiquity.  I consulted my personal library and found the first reference from Roger B. Ulrich's "Roman Woodworking" as a loculus from the Comacchio wreck dated 1st century BC.  I later found a second reference in "Before the Mast" by the Mary Rose Trust of a similar box with sliding lid and other small boxes featuring dovetail joinery.  I have placed three pics in this groups photo section of the box I have made that represents my interpretation of these sources in the folder labeled Lagerstein.  The box is constructed from Red Oak and was formed with hand tools (saws/chisels).  There is no finish other than bees wax along the edge of the sliding lid.

          Comments and questions are encouraged.
          Lagerstein

          I never actually got around to making a box myself...

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 6, 2009
            Finally getting around to posting my box. I hadn't intended to do anything as May was already packed, but I had a request to make a prize box for a gentle who was getting his White Scarf at Sapphire Joust over Memorial Day. This particular gentle is known for his bright pants, so I chose osage orange to match. This is a basic slide top box, but I put the Atlantian seahorse (Spike) as inlay in the lid. The catch also has a shark's tooth inlay to represent that award.

            I know the woods are period per se, but this was a special item that is supposed to have some humor associated with it.

            I posted a pic in my album (it's the last one). I don't remember did we have a chosen location to post these?

            Kirk
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 6, 2009
              photo?

[...]

              .

            • Dave Ordway
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 7, 2009
                There are three in the photo section of this group under Lagerstein.

[...]

              • bayard_turner
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 8, 2009
                  Very nicely done - I really like the inlay of "Spike".

                  Have you had the usual problem of purple heart becoming brown in sunlight? Any ideas other than UV resistant finish to solve that?

                  Bayard

                  --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "kirkdrago" <kith@...> wrote:

                  > Finally getting around to posting my box. I hadn't intended to do anything as May was already packed, but I had a request to make a prize box for a gentle who was getting his White Scarf at Sapphire Joust over Memorial Day. This particular gentle is known for his bright pants, so I chose osage orange to match. This is a basic slide top box, but I put the Atlantian seahorse (Spike) as inlay in the lid. The catch also has a shark's tooth inlay to represent that award.
                  >
                  > I know the woods are period per se, but this was a special item that is supposed to have some humor associated with it.
                  >
                  > I posted a pic in my album (it's the last one). I don't remember did we have a chosen location to post these?
                  >
                  > Kirk

                • kirkdrago
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 8, 2009
                    Nice sliding lid box. How did you do the box joints?
                    I do a similar design.

                    Kirk D

                    --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Ordway" <dabugler@...> wrote:

                    > There are three in the photo section of this group under Lagerstein.

                  • Dave Ordway
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 8, 2009
                      Thanks for the complement.  The sides are dovetailed.  The bottom rests in a groove on all four sides.  The lid rides along grooves on the sides and rests in a groove at the back end.  All joints and dados were cut by hand with saw and chisel.  There are no mechanical fasteners.  Mundane glue (Titebond II) was used to reinforce the joints.

                      Thanks again for your inquiry,
                      Lagerstein

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 9, 2009
                        I haven't been working with purpleheart long enough for that to be a problem. I've been talking to other woodworkers in my area and other than the UV resistent finish, they haven't been able to recommend anything else.

                        Thanks for the complement. I've got a few more projects in the works as soon as I finish a coffee table for my inlaws. Talk about a time suck, the one that was requested involves a cabinet and drawers as well as the table.

                        Kirk

                        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "bayard_turner" <williams@...> wrote:

                        > Very nicely done - I really like the inlay of "Spike".
                        >
                        > Have you had the usual problem of purple heart becoming brown in sunlight? Any ideas other than UV resistant finish to solve that?
                        >
                        > Bayard

                      • Eric Hess
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 10, 2009
                          I'm surprised that the woodworkers in the area didn't have any suggestions. Purpleheart is a pretty odd wood, in my experience, as I've found that sun exposure actually brings back the purple, not the other way around. I am not 100% sure of that, but in the store where I work, the Purpleheart we have is easily distinguished between where the boards were exposed (very purple) to where they were hidden under other boards (a gray/purple/brown mix). I would suggest that you take a piece outside and leave it in EVEN sun for a couple of hours and see what happens. If I had some handy, I'd do it, but unfortunately, I have it up at my shop, not handy.
                          Eric

                          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "kirkdrago" <kith@...> wrote:

                          > I haven't been working with purpleheart long enough for that to be a problem. I've been talking to other woodworkers in my area and other than the UV resistent finish, they haven't been able to recommend anything else.
                          >
                          > Thanks for the complement. I've got a few more projects in the works as soon as I finish a coffee table for my inlaws. Talk about a time suck, the one that was requested involves a cabinet and drawers as well as the table.
                          >
                          > Kirk
                          >
                          > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "bayard_turner" <williams@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Very nicely done - I really like the inlay of "Spike".
                          > >
                          > > Have you had the usual problem of purple heart becoming brown in sunlight? Any ideas other than UV resistant finish to solve that?
                          > >
                          > > Bayard

                        • Wm G
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 11, 2009
                            Eric Hess wrote:
                            > I'm surprised that the woodworkers in the area didn't have any suggestions. Purpleheart is a pretty odd wood, in my experience, as I've found that sun exposure actually brings back the purple, not the other way around. I am not 100% sure of that, but in the store where I work, the Purpleheart we have is easily distinguished between where the boards were exposed (very purple) to where they were hidden under other boards (a gray/purple/brown mix). I would suggest that you take a piece outside and leave it in EVEN sun for a couple of hours and see what happens. If I had some handy, I'd do it, but unfortunately, I have it up at my shop, not handy.
                            > Eric

                            Sorry to say it is darker because it is on its way to looking like
                            walnut without the reds at all.
                            Woodworkers Journal
                            (http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/Main/Public/Home.aspx) had an article
                            on UV protection a while back. Check at the library for past issues and
                            see if there is something in the archives (the online version rolls to
                            the new month).

                            bw