My latest project

  • mary_ostler
    Message 1 of 12 , May 11, 2009
      Thought I would share my latest project.

      A while back I decided to make a new rope bed. At the same time I was gathering a whole slew of pictures of period turned chairs. I decided to make a rope bed kind of like those chairs. No documentation, just alot of fun and time...lots of time!

      http://www.maryostler.com/2009/05/turned-bed-frame-v18-paint-is-dry/

      Cheers

      Mary Ostler
      aka dirtimari
      apprentice to Mistress Agnes Cresewyke
      builder of stuff an things
      www.maryostler.com
    • conradh@efn.org
      Message 2 of 12 , May 11, 2009
        On Mon, May 11, 2009 12:27 pm, mary_ostler wrote:

        > Thought I would share my latest project.
        >

        > A while back I decided to make a new rope bed. At the same time I was
        > gathering a whole slew of pictures of period turned chairs. I decided to
        > make a rope bed kind of like those chairs. No documentation, just alot of
        > fun and time...lots of time!

        Cool bed! And even cooler site! You remind me that I need to add a whole
        bunch of stuff to my own.

        To other readers: If you haven't had the pleasure already, check out
        Mary's site! The Tudor house trailer is a blast. And how many
        blacksmiths, let alone non-blacksmiths, scratchbuild the locks for a
        chest?

        Ulfhedinn
        Message 3 of 12 , May 11, 2009

          Doesn’t everybody have a period locksmith on their speed-dial?

          Everybody who wants a custom period lock, shoot me an e-mail, and I’ll hook you up.  But they aren’t cheap.

          Will

          Message 4 of 12 , May 11, 2009
            On Mon, May 11, 2009 4:26 pm, Bill McNutt wrote:
            > Doesn't everybody have a period locksmith on their speed-dial?
            >

            > Everybody who wants a custom period lock, shoot me an e-mail, and I'll
            > hook you up. But they aren't cheap.

            I'm building one right now, a Norse chest lock with double ended lockbar
            (one central keyhole opens hasps to either side) and if I made it for
            someone else it wouldn't be cheap either. Lots of fiddling to get
            everything to fit and work smoothly, to make sure the key doesn't wander
            off inside somewhere and get jammed, etc. etc.

            I expect they _could_ be made for a reasonable price--after I'd made about
            forty or fifty of them, over a short period of time. Making one every ten
            years, the learning curve is way too flat.

            Ulfhedinn
          • AlbionWood
            Message 5 of 12 , May 11, 2009
              That's the only 13th century style bed I've seen - has anybody else made one of these?  Big job with all that turning.

              Mad props to Mary for tackling and completing such a project, and for having it come out so beautiful!

              Cheers,
              Tim
              (Colin deBray)

              p.s. Nice turnip, too.

              mary_ostler wrote:
              Thought I would share my latest project.

              A while back I decided to make a new rope bed. At the same time I was gathering a whole slew of pictures of period turned chairs. I decided to make a rope bed kind of like those chairs. No documentation, just alot of fun and time...lots of time!

              http://www.maryostler.com/2009/05/turned-bed-frame-v18-paint-is-dry/

              Cheers

              Mary Ostler
              aka dirtimari
              apprentice to Mistress Agnes Cresewyke
              builder of stuff an things
              www.maryostler.com

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  mailto:medievalsawdust-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  mailto:medievalsawdust-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Colleen Vince
              Message 6 of 12 , May 11, 2009
                Hey Tim,

                Just visited your site and looked at your bed research section. I was
                happy to see a turned ladder like side rail in the first image. I
                seriously had no idea that the ladder rail was a period idea.I have
                images of turned posts but the rest of the bed is always obscured. I
                made the bed that way to help strengthen the small dowel tenons and
                minimize sideways flex, plus to carry on the turned theme. Could I
                borrow that image to store with my blog posts?

                My heraldry just passed this month. Hurrah for the turnip!

                Cheers
                dirtimari

                --
                Mary Ostler aka Dirty Mary, Corinne, Colleen, Gadget, Shauna of the Dead
                Apprentice to Mistress Agnes Cresewyke
                Message 7 of 12 , May 12, 2009
                  Now that's funny - accidentally (unknowingly) recreating a period technique!   As far as I have been able to determine, this was a 13th century style; but it could also have been earlier.  I haven't been able to find evidence for the structure of pre-13th c. European beds.

                  Cariadoc of the Bow found a Byzantine illustration, I think 13th c., showing not only the frame but also the rope, done in an interesting diagonal way that makes it easier to tighten.  I can't find the article on the Web, though I could swear he had it up somewhere.

                  Use the images, just make sure to include the original source attributions - they aren't really mine.

                  Cheers,
                  Tim

                  Colleen Vince wrote:
[...]

                • John LaTorre
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 13, 2009
                    Colin wrote:

                    > Cariadoc of the Bow found a Byzantine illustration, I think 13th
                    > c., showing not only the frame but also the rope, done in an
                    > interesting diagonal way that makes it easier to tighten. I
                    > can't find the article on the Web, though I could swear he had it
                    > up somewhere.

                    Here it is:

                    http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/miscellany_pdf/Other_Articles_II_Furniture.pdf

                    I've built a couple of these beds, without the turning, and wrote up the
                    experience for a class handout for the Estrella Collegium. One of these
                    days, in my copious free time, I'll put it on my website with better
                    illustrations, but for now, I'll put the handout in the files section of
                    our group. The URL should be:

                    http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/gO4KSi7OUz0oMP4gZwRlUdG5xfZvBZX08rBNAkFs22lDqmwbU3Kl-ND17qhHurHYIKoAD7L9b3cPIVBHQZ-3nWVVBZ2aDqTc-Q/Rope%20bed%20class%20PDF.pdf

                    ---Johann von Drachenfels
                    West Kingdom
                  • afpopa@cox.net
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 13, 2009
                      Another good source for period hinges and other hardware is Renovator's Supply. They have a lovely collection of wrought iron goodies.

                      http://www.rensup.com/Categories/Cat-228.htm

                      -- Marcellus
                    • Colleen Vince

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 2, 2009
                          Finally got round to reading Johann's writeup - very nice.  I recommend it to anyone who wants to build a camp bed.  Go to the Files section of the web page and look for "Rope Bed Class PDF" (it's near the bottom of the list).

                          Interesting bit about the uncertain provenance of the ivory carving.  Wish they could get that settled, because I know of no other information on the structure of early-medieval beds.  It would be amazing if this really were Carolingian!  (But is the turned pattern really consistent with that?)  I'd love to read more about the dating.

                          Cheers,
                          Colin

                          John LaTorre wrote:
                          Colin wrote:

[...]

                        • Laura Iseman
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 3, 2009
                            One think I would add to that rope bed write up, to anyone who knows how to do sprang, that is the roping technique that leaps to mind. The single beds in our camp (4 this year) are all roped with sprang, and it works a treat. It is quite quick to rope up too, quicker than I would expect the one in that PDF to be. Sprang produces a "fabric" like a hammock, or a rope chain-link fence 8->. Very comfortable to sleep on.

                            Basic sprang instructions can be found here http://www.regia.org/sprang.htm among other places. (random web link, I don't know those people) You do need to have the sticks handy. We have so many trestle tables with dowel legs in our camp that this is not an issue. YMMV.

                            I am failing to find any photos of these beds. We have been using them longer than Flickr and the novelty has worn off 8->

                            Miriam

                            John LaTorre wrote:

                            Colin wrote:

                            Cariadoc of the Bow found a Byzantine illustration, I think 13th
                            c., showing not only the frame but also the rope, done in an
                            interesting diagonal way that makes it easier to tighten.  I
                            can't find the article on the Web, though I could swear he had it
                            up somewhere.

                            Here it is:

                            http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/miscellany_pdf/Other_Articles_II_Furniture.pdf

                            I've built a couple of these beds, without the turning, and wrote up the
                            experience for a class handout for the Estrella Collegium. One of these
                            days, in my copious free time, I'll put it on my website with better
                            illu

                            --
                            Agite primo recte! Nihil igitur durat tamquam enodatia brevis at satis.
                            (Do it right the first time, because nothing is so permanent as a temporary solution that works)