Re: [medievalsawdust] Re: Brief intro

  • Dianne & Greg Stucki
    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 16, 2003
      From: "Lord Alessandro dEste" <avalonbear@...>
      To: <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sunday, November 16, 2003 12:15 PM
      Subject: [medievalsawdust] Re: Brief intro

      > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Omer" <omer77@c...> wrote:
      > > None of the living history hobbies have to many woodworkers.
      > Black smiths grow on trees so I for one would not mind someone else
      > selling wood items in the camp next to me.
      > > Omer

      I would love instructions on how to build an inkle loom, if someone has a
      pattern they can share.

      Laurensa
    • Scott Lane
      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 16, 2003
        >I have notice a need in this area for Wash/Shaving stands. every
        >morning at SCA and Mountain man events you will see someone trying to
        >hold a razor and miror Or washing there face and hands .Most try this
        >on a table with not much luck. If you could make a fold down or take
        >apart unit the would allow people to not have to hold severl Items at
        >once. Im shure you would find a market for it in both The SCA and
        >Mountainman areas. I have seen them sold on the east coast and here in
        >the Midwest. Best of Luck.

        Conal and Christophe make them in the Middle Kingdom (Cincinnati, OH)

        Aodhfin
      • Don Bowen
        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 16, 2003
          At 11/16/2003, you wrote:
          >I have notice a need in this area for Wash/Shaving stands. every
          >morning at SCA and Mountain man events you will see someone trying to
          >hold a razor and miror Or washing there face and hands .Most try this
          >on a table with not much luck. If you could make a fold down or take
          >apart unit the would allow people to not have to hold severl Items at
          >once.

          Any pictures of what you are suggesting?

          Awl Knotted Up  - Custom woodworking

          Don Bowen                          donb@...
          Valley Center, CA

          http://www.braingarage.com
        • Lord Alessandro dEste
          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 16, 2003
            Conal and Christophe make them in the Middle Kingdom (Cincinnati, OH)
            > Aodhfin

            Ive have been meaning to get one from Lord Conal but never seem to
            have the money left after the event to do so."My lady has spent it on
            prittys"
            Alessandro
          • logan
            Message 5 of 24 , Nov 16, 2003
              Message
              oh yes please.  that happens to be one of my projects for pennsic next year.  i have some visions but examples are much better.

              regards
              logan

              Message 6 of 24 , Nov 16, 2003
                >Ive have been meaning to get one from Lord Conal but never seem to
                >have the money left after the event to do so."My lady has spent it on
                >prittys"

                So you tell her that not only it is pritty it'self, but it will
                help her be pritty as well (at which point you also quickly say "not that
                you need help being pritty!")

                Aodhfin
              • Lord Alessandro dEste
                Message 7 of 24 , Nov 16, 2003
                  --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Scott Lane <scotty@o...> wrote:

                  > So you tell her that not only it is pritty it'self, but it
                  will
                  > help her be pritty as well (at which point you also quickly say "not
                  that
                  > you need help being pritty!")
                  >
                  > Aodhfin

                  Easyer said than done, when she has the check book and Im out watching
                  the fighters and such..lol
                  Alessandro
                • Lord Alessandro dEste
                  Message 8 of 24 , Nov 16, 2003
                    --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "logan" <dukelogan@b...> wrote:
                    > oh yes please. that happens to be one of my projects for pennsic
                    next year.
                    > i have some visions but examples are much better.
                    >
                    > regards
                    > logan

                    I have seen several models.
                    the ones I think Conel makes has sissor type folding leggs wich hold
                    the table top. The table top has a stopper underneath and a guide rail
                    wich the leggs slide open on. it also has a hole that a dish-pan sits
                    into. then the top has a miror set into it. The top is hinged to the
                    table top. and has a variable friction stay so it will not fall back.
                    The one I posted a pic of is a non take down style. wich I have seen
                    used at blackpowder events and in homes.
                    Alessandro
                  • rmhowe
                    Message 9 of 24 , Nov 16, 2003
                      Don Bowen wrote:
                      > At 11/16/2003, you wrote:
                      >
                      >> None of the living history hobbies have to many woodworkers.

                      But some of the ones they have are really good.

                      >> Black smiths grow on trees so I for one would not mind someone else
                      >> selling wood items in the camp next to me. Might even exchange
                      >> ideas. Toys and more toy sell very well and easy to carry.

                      When I was still in college I used to make toys to sell at
                      Xmas time. Helped me pay for my gifts to my family and for
                      the trip home. Didn't have a lot of money in those early days.
                      I also did carpentry, sawn world coin jewelry, and sign carving
                      in those days. I did bouncing too for a while and I worked
                      maximum security for several years. It was an interesting time.
                      :)

                      Speaking of which there was an outstanding video on the
                      Woodwright's Shop yesterday on carving with Rick Cavalo.
                      1-800-PlayPBS or http://www.shoppbs.com/ search Woodwright's
                      Shop. New and definitely worth ordering. NTSC format which
                      is only good for North America though.

                      > I had also noticed the number of smithys set up and the number of metal
                      > items sold. That is why I thougth about wood items.

                      Everyone in the reenactor societies needs a decent set of
                      chests - food, clothing, seating, armor. Hide that ice-chest.
                      Check out English Medieval Chests from Caber Press.
                      It's on the .pdf page.
                      Jack C. Thompson
                      Thompson Conservation Lab.
                      7549 N. Fenwick
                      Portland, OR 97217

                      503/735-3942 (voice/fax)
                      tcl@...
                      http://home.teleport.com/~tcl/ 1/03
                      http://www.teleport.com/~tcl/
                      http://home.teleport.com/~tcl/caber.htm 1/03

                      http://home.teleport.com/~tcl/CaberPress_web.pdf

                      It was reprinted from two articles from 1907 and 1912
                      I bought on the antiquarian market. It was too good
                      not to have reprinted at a reasonable cost for others.
                      Lots of inauthentic attempts abound. This will give
                      you an idea of a variety of chest constructions.

                      For about $14 you get a lot of constructional details
                      and the chests actually cover about five centuries.
                      The photos in the back are from an article on later
                      chests. Rubbings of the carvings and measurements
                      are included on some of them.

                      BTW. While I helped originate the reprinting I don't
                      make a dime unless I order and sell them myself by
                      the dozen, and they sold very well for me.

                      There is also one on locks and keys. It contains
                      Ancient Locks and Keys 1883 [very rare] by General
                      Pitt-Rivers, two articles Jack dug up, and a bibliography
                      of ancient to modern locks and keys books [I need to
                      update as my research has gone further] by me.
                      It has wooden and metal locks in it.

                      Master Magnus, OL, Great Barony of Windmasters Hill [SCA],
                      Regia.org, Manx, Great Dark Horde brother.

                      > Awl Knotted Up - Custom woodworking
                      >
                      > Don Bowen donb@...
                      > Valley Center, CA
                      >
                      > http://www.braingarage.com <http://www.braingarage.com/>

                      Your mystery item is a pair of sheet metal shears that
                      preceded the Beverly Shears. The style goes back to
                      medieval times and the angle on one handle was stuck
                      into a stump, vise or workbench. The number 10 probably denotes
                      the gauge metal it would cut to. I've had two pairs.
                      Mine would cut near that size, but as I have a Beverly
                      Shear further experimentation was nil. We used to make armor
                      here.

                      When some people sharpen them they file too much too close
                      to the rivet/pivot for the shears and at that point
                      it can block cutting any further into the metal, which it
                      otherwise would pass by.

                      Your webpages email query bin isn't working, which is why
                      I decided to reply here.

                      I'm one of those odd goobers who studied Industrial Arts
                      in college and collected thousands of books and tools
                      ever since. I was multi-traded until I disabled with
                      a muscular/nervous and immune system disease. Go figure.

                      Magnus
                    • Omer
                      Message 10 of 24 , Nov 17, 2003
                                I have and will post loom when I have scanner set up.  Will be a couple of weeks off.

                            Omer

                        Message 11 of 24 , Nov 17, 2003

                          Message 12 of 24 , Nov 19, 2003
                            http://anvil.unl.edu/toli/loom.html, has simple plans for a loom with
                            2 solid sides. The dowels have support on each side, and therefore
                            the construction technique doesn't have to be as precise to keep the
                            dowels from bending under the stress of a warp. It's not exactly
                            pretty, but it's functional and that's ok - and it could get you
                            started weaving while you wait for a handsome loom in hardwood! After
                            all, it's all about the weaving - well, for us weavers, anyway! :-)

                            The solid sides could be painted, for that matter, or if it were made
                            from a real board instead of particle board as the site suggests, it
                            could be carved, and be as decorated as your heart desires.

                            There are many inkle weaving pages out there online for warping and
                            weaving help. Inkle looms also can work well as a loom for tablet
                            weaving.

                            Elfreda
                            An An Tir weaver very lucky to be married to a woodworker:
                            "Gee, it'd be nice to have a ....."

                            > I would love instructions on how to build an inkle loom, if someone
                            has a
                            > pattern they can share.
                            >
                            > Laurensa
                          • yurtsatshaw
                            Message 13 of 24 , Nov 19, 2003
                              If you remove the comma from the end, the link works better :-)

                              Sunjan,
                              also from An Tir :-)

                              << Boy it's fun having Internet access again.....>>

                              > has simple plans for a loom with 2 solid sides.

                              8-< snippus minor >-8