Re: Viking ? Chair

  • vinlandar
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 26 10:34 AM
      --- In medievalsawdust@y..., jrwinkler@m... wrote:

      > Research is a bitch...
      >
      > ... but, as it has been noted before... ;-) Even if the chair
      ain't viking in origin, or even of period origin... it truly is one
      of the more comfortable and easily transportable chairs around...
      and, in the SCA context... unless you're trying to do a absolutely
      authentic campsite... its a wonderful asset and beats the hell out
      of sitting on the ground.... particularly after its been
      raining...

      > Chas.

      Hear, hear! They are all that. :-) As for me in my attempting to be
      accurate camp (see note below) I have found that the Lund type 3-
      legged stools are amazingly comfortable up to a point, but it sure
      would be nice to have something with a back on it. I am looking into
      the Irish tuam type chair which is included as a pdf file in one of
      the better known SCA furniture websites. I found the book at the
      public library which is used for a refference, but it is short on the
      history of the chair, saying only that it has been made in Tuam,
      Ireland for a very very long time. I will try to dig further if I
      can to get some more information about how far back they made
      something like it.

      (here's the note below) For what it's worth, my kit is not 100%
      accurate either, but most of the furbys are of the less obvious
      types, and I am gradually working on them. If I am doing a demo in
      which it is not likely I will be taking off my turn shoes, I will
      wear foam insoles with structured arches. The tunic I use right now
      was a gift made graciously for me quickly so I wouldn't be nekkid.
      It's beautiful, and looks like linen, but I am pretty sure it is a
      cotton/polyester blend. I am working on a hand-sewn linen under-
      tunic, after which I will work on a hand-sewn wool tunic, but Rome
      wasn't built in a day, and neither will be my little kit. the reason
      the historical accuracy is important to me in my kit is not at all so
      I can say I have the coolest kit on the block, but simply because I
      care very much about the teaching process, and I want to try to teach
      and illustrate as accurately as possible. That's my hobby, and what
      another person does is theirs, and I celebrate our enjoyment and the
      luxury of having hobbies in the first place. :-)

      -Charlie
    • Joseph Hayes
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 26 1:28 PM
        > Even if the chair ain't viking in origin, or even of period origin...
        > it truly is one of the more comfortable and easily transportable
        > chairs around...

        Although I'm an authenticity policemen in training, I'd rather see a
        "viking chair" than a modern camp chair.

        Ulrich

        http://sbc.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 26 4:58 PM
          unless you're
          > trying to do a absolutely authentic campsite... its
          > a wonderful asset and beats the hell out of sitting
          > on the ground.... particularly after its been
          > raining...
          >
          > Chas.

          But mud is period.....

          =====

          http://sbc.yahoo.com
        • Avery
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 27 6:36 AM
            There are a couple things about the stargazer chairs that I think ought to be brought up.

            For our needs they're great.  An eight foot 2x12, and hour or two of cutting, maybe a spot or routing, some finish or another and you're done.  They pack up small and set up quick.  But, I'm not so sure our honourable ancestors would have felt the same way about them.

            By and large, the middle ages was a time when materials were dear, but labor was cheap.  Even limited to period tools, I could probably crank out several stargazer chairs a day if my start point is getting in the truck to go to the hardware store for kiln dried 2x12s.  Change that start point to "hey, look, a tree" and my productivity plummets.  Now, admittedly, they had to cut down a tree for whatever they did, and, as Charles said, they had planks, but looking at the Mastermeyer find, it looks to me like then tended to split those planks out of a log guartersawn-wise.  This makes sense for a number of uses - ship siding spring immediately to mind.  It's not going to tend to yield the thick planks you pretty much need to make the stargazers work.

            The stargazers have that big-assed tennon sticking out the back.  This is not such a big deal when you are sitting around a fire in the woods somewhere and have all outdoors to spread your stuff around.  Think about putting a couple of those in your long house or on the deck of your knorr.  Quite the obstacle course.

            While stargazers pack up tight, they are HEAVY!!!  Not such a big deal if you are traveling via motor coach.  If by muscle, on the other hand.... I once carried two of them (out of yellow pine) from N21 to the barn for court at Pennsic.  NEVER AGAIN!  I thought I was going to loose and arm or two when we first hit the merchants.  If we are assuming that the Norse (or anybody else) might have used them in the field, we have to ask how they would have gotten them to their location.  By comparison I have made one of Charles' fauld chairs out of white oak.  It weighs about a third what the stargazers weighed.

            So, while they could have made them - I think there would be a number of forces that would tend to steer you away from them if you were a woodworker in the day.

            Avery
          • Chris Stone
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 27 2:34 PM
              Amen

              How many archeology books have I read where all of the conclusions were mere speculation.  More than I care to think about.

              Christophe

              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 28 2:42 AM
                One of the things I consider when thinking about a 'period informed'
                piece is to consider the types of things that were made, and some of
                the common construction techniques. i.e., the chest I just made
                slants in on the sides like the Mastyrmyr chest, but it is not of the
                same dimentions as that chest. Other chests of that period and
                general location have a similar slant on the sides, and were not
                identical. I figure there was not a (as i have said before) medieval
                WallMart, so it's not likely one will find all that many chests of
                exactly the same dimentions as an original artifact, but a technique
                found useful would have been shared and copied. I DID find that that
                slight slant makes a chest amazingly stable and resistant from
                tipping up on end. Maybe something we have forgotten?

                -Charlie

                (edit) while back... for my purposes I divide projects into three

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 30 6:27 AM
                  >How many archeology books have I read where all of the conclusions were
                  mere speculation. More than I care to think about.

                  But when you get right down to it, unless you have a 500 year old man on
                  staff, all your conclusions must be speculation. The difference is, "this
                  item has concentric tool marks on it, it was either turned, or was made with
                  some sort of fly cutter" and, "from the shape of this stone we can deduce
                  that the ancient Atlanean fire alter was 657 feet tall...."

                  Avery
                • James Winkler
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 30 7:31 AM

                    ;-)   .... and the marshmallows they toasted over the fire on it were roughly the size of small elephants (species unknown)...  (-;  ... AND... they were toasted by aliens from alpha-whatever!!!

                    Avery makes a good point.   There are some things where physical evidence on the piece can lead to "educated guesses" that may be provable (or at least tested in such a way that the possibility cannot be eliminated) by experimental archeology...  the caution here is ensuring that what you see is really what you see and that your conclusion can be provable.

                    Like totin' stargazer chairs...  repeated experience validates Avery's observation that, although they are damned comfortable and elegantly simple to make and use...  totin' them over any distance can test one's determination...  unless you've been partying... in which case you might just elect to say... "Heck... totin' is harder than buildin....   I think I'll just leave this one here and go build another one..."  ;-)