Re: [MedievalSawdust] OT: Kid's Table Top

  • leaking pen
    Message 1 of 14 , May 4 9:02 AM
      for full on protection? I'd either go full hog poly on it, or if its
      not a decorated surface, either the latex house paint designed to be
      drawn on with crayons and erased, or blackboard paint.

      On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 8:26 AM, McNutt Jr, William R <mcnutt@...> wrote:

      > My sister had a tiny tea table, just her size when she was 2 – 6 years old.
      >

      > She has given it to me for a friend of mine, who is currently 2, with the
      > caveat that: “It’s okay if it’s destroyed, but if it’s not, I want it back
      > rather than seeing it go to a garage sale.”
      >

      > So with that in mind, what, if anything, can we do to the table top to
      > protect it from sharpie, crayon, and the like?
      >

      > Will

    • Dave Mitchner
      Message 2 of 14 , May 4 9:06 AM
        They make a latex house paint designed for crayons?  I have to investigate this.

        Dave

        On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 12:02 PM, leaking pen <itsatrap@...> wrote:
        for full on protection?  I'd either go full hog poly on it, or if its
        not a decorated surface, either the latex house paint designed to be
        drawn on with crayons and erased, or blackboard paint.

        On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 8:26 AM, McNutt Jr, William R <mcnutt@...> wrote:

        > My sister had a tiny tea table, just her size when she was 2 – 6 years old.
        >

        > She has given it to me for a friend of mine, who is currently 2, with the
        > caveat that: “It’s okay if it’s destroyed, but if it’s not, I want it back
        > rather than seeing it go to a garage sale.”
        >

        > So with that in mind, what, if anything, can we do to the table top to
        > protect it from sharpie, crayon, and the like?
        >

        > Will

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
           mailto:medievalsawdust-digest@yahoogroups.com
           mailto:medievalsawdust-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        --
        Dave
      • Colleen Vince
        Message 3 of 14 , May 4 9:11 AM
          I made my nephews Thomas the tank train table so that the underside of the table is a chalk board.

          He uses the chalk board side way more now.

          I am thinking of ripping the thomas side off, and replacing it with lego sheet board. So it will be a lego/chalkboard table.

          I'll end up playing with the lego table more than my nephew  8D

          Mary

          --
          Mary Ostler     aka Dirty Mary, dirtimari, Corinne, Colleen, Gadget,  Shauna of the Dead
          Apprentice to Mistress Agnes Cresewyke

        • leaking pen
          Message 4 of 14 , May 4 9:14 AM
            ive not used this brand, but this is the general idea

            https://millerbrospaint.com/ceramic/

            Message 5 of 14 , May 4 9:28 AM
              It's not decorated. It's just a flat 3' diameter disk, but when she's done
              being a small child, I'd like to be able to restore it to what my sister
              remembers.

              Not an antique, just a good quality department store purchase my parents
              picked up on sale back in '69 or so.

              Will

              ------------------------------------
              Message 6 of 14 , May 4 9:31 AM

                Oooh!  When can legos start showing up?  I know she’s too young right now.  She’s just eat them.  But soon, I hope.

                Will

                Message 7 of 14 , May 4 9:47 AM
                  I am thinking of ripping the thomas side off, and replacing it with lego sheet board. So it will be a lego/chalkboard table.

                  I'll end up playing with the lego table more than my nephew  8D

                  Mary>>

                  I'd play with it too. How cool..
                  Unfortunately, we got rid of our kid size table after the 7 y.o. bounced off his bed, slamming the back of his head into the edge of the table top and requiring 6 staples in his head.

                  Laurensa

                  Message 8 of 14 , May 4 10:45 AM
                    a coat or two of poly and multiple coats of paste wax

                    Message 9 of 14 , May 4 11:11 AM

                      I like the sound of that.  Tell me:  how often should I renew the paste wax?

                      Will

                      Message 10 of 14 , May 4 11:52 AM
                        follow the manufactures directions.

                        Message 11 of 14 , May 4 12:07 PM

                          :P

                          Message 12 of 14 , May 5 8:42 AM
                            > Oooh! When can legos start showing up?
                            > I know she's too young right now. She's
                            > just eat them. But soon, I hope.

                            Duplo blocks are Lego's answer to "too young to be trusted with the regular
                            size". And handily, they have "Castle" sets available:
                            http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Leaf.aspx?cn=205&d=104

                            You can use Duplos with regular Legos - our sons grew up with both. Their
                            mother is still collecting castle sets for her collection (yeah, that would
                            be me. I have about 80 sets now. But then, my sons are 25 and 30 years
                            old...) and is hoping to get this one, a 'medieval market village' for
                            Mother's Day:
                            http://shop.lego.com/ByCategory/Product.aspx?p=10193&cn=233&d=263

                            Who could resist a village with a blacksmith's shop with waterwheel-driven
                            hammer and a tavern?

                            Hrothny
                          • Helen Schultz