Re: [medievalsawdust] Re: Brief intro

  • Don Bowen
    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 15, 2003
      At 11/15/2003, you wrote:
      Building and selling items for SCA and Mountain man is a good Ideal.
      Ive been do so for several years now. I have loads of fun doing so.
      And make a good income from it. Fire kits, grates,pokers and trivits
      sell at both kinds of events.

      Thanks for the info.  I will do a bit of research into those items.

      Awl Knotted Up  - Custom woodworking

      Don Bowen                          donb@...
      Valley Center, CA

      http://www.braingarage.com
    • Lord Alessandro dEste
      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 16, 2003
        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Don Bowen <donb@c...> wrote:
        > At 11/15/2003, you wrote:
        > >Building and selling items for SCA and Mountain man is a good Ideal.
        > >Ive been do so for several years now. I have loads of fun doing so.
        > >And make a good income from it. Fire kits, grates,pokers and trivits
        > >sell at both kinds of events.
        >
        > Thanks for the info. I will do a bit of research into those items.
        >
        > Awl Knotted Up - Custom woodworking
        >
        > Don Bowen donb@c...
        > Valley Center, CA
        >
        > http://www.braingarage.com

        Sorry about that Don I had just finished reading My Blacksmithing
        Group when I read your post. My mind slipped from Woodworking back to
        metal.
        I have notice a need in this area for Wash/Shaving stands. every
        morning at SCA and Mountain man events you will see someone trying to
        hold a razor and miror Or washing there face and hands .Most try this
        on a table with not much luck. If you could make a fold down or take
        apart unit the would allow people to not have to hold severl Items at
        once. Im shure you would find a market for it in both The SCA and
        Mountainman areas. I have seen them sold on the east coast and here in
        the Midwest. Best of Luck.
        IYS
        Lord Alessandro dEste
        Sternfeld-Midrelm
      • Omer
        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 16, 2003
                  None of the living history hobbies have to many woodworkers.  Black smiths grow on trees so I for one would not mind someone else selling wood items in the camp next to me.  Might even exchange ideas.  Toys and more toy sell very well and easy to carry.   Tops, stick men, skittle you name it.  They can be sold any place outsiders are around.   Inkle looms sell almost as fast as I can make them.  Made a pull handle top one time for the kids not for sale some lady had never seen one and offered me $60.oo for the thing, poor kids.

                  Omer
          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 16, 2003
            At 11/16/2003, you wrote:
            Sorry about that Don I had just finished reading My Blacksmithing
            Group when I read your post. My mind slipped from Woodworking back to
            metal.

            No problem, I also have a smithy and gas, stick & wire feed welders.  If those items would sell then I would be interested.  What Blacksmith group are you referring to?

            I have notice a need in this area for Wash/Shaving stands. every
            morning at SCA and Mountain man events you will see someone trying to
            hold a razor and miror Or washing there face and hands .Most try this
            on a table with not much luck. If you could make a fold down or take
            apart unit the would allow people to not have to hold severl Items at
            once. Im shure you would find a market for it in both The SCA and
            Mountainman areas. I have seen them sold on the east coast and here in
            the Midwest. Best of Luck.

            Seems to be a good place to come up with an original design, thanks.

            Message 5 of 24 , Nov 16, 2003
              At 11/16/2003, you wrote:
                      None of the living history hobbies have to many woodworkers.  Black smiths grow on trees so I for one would not mind someone else selling wood items in the camp next to me.  Might even exchange ideas.  Toys and more toy sell very well and easy to carry.

              I had also noticed the number of smithys set up and the number of metal items sold.  That is why I thougth about wood items.

              Message 6 of 24 , Nov 16, 2003

                blacksmiths@yahoogroups.com

                > Seems to be a good place to come up with an original design, thanks.
                >
                > Awl Knotted Up - Custom woodworking
                >
                > Don Bowen donb@c...
                > Valley Center, CA
                >
                > http://www.braingarage.com
              • Lord Alessandro dEste
                Message 7 of 24 , Nov 16, 2003
                  --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Omer" <omer77@c...> wrote:
                  > None of the living history hobbies have to many woodworkers.
                  Black smiths grow on trees so I for one would not mind someone else
                  selling wood items in the camp next to me.
                  > Omer

                  Omer
                  I have to disagree with you on the Black smiths grow on trees.
                  Within the SCA I dont see that at all. I see tons of Armorers.
                  But not Black smiths. If they grew on trees we would have a guild here
                  in the Midrelm. Now in the Blackpowder/Rendezvous there are tons of
                  smiths. And very little woodworkers as we in the SCA know them.
                  IYS
                  Sandro d'Este
                • Dianne & Greg Stucki
                  Message 8 of 24 , Nov 16, 2003
                    > > None of the living history hobbies have to many woodworkers.
                    > Black smiths grow on trees so I for one would not mind someone else
                    > selling wood items in the camp next to me.
                    > > Omer

                    I would love instructions on how to build an inkle loom, if someone has a
                    pattern they can share.

                    Laurensa
                  • Scott Lane
                    Message 9 of 24 , Nov 16, 2003
                      >I have notice a need in this area for Wash/Shaving stands. every
                      >morning at SCA and Mountain man events you will see someone trying to
                      >hold a razor and miror Or washing there face and hands .Most try this
                      >on a table with not much luck. If you could make a fold down or take
                      >apart unit the would allow people to not have to hold severl Items at
                      >once. Im shure you would find a market for it in both The SCA and
                      >Mountainman areas. I have seen them sold on the east coast and here in
                      >the Midwest. Best of Luck.

                      Conal and Christophe make them in the Middle Kingdom (Cincinnati, OH)

                      Aodhfin
                    • Don Bowen
                      Message 10 of 24 , Nov 16, 2003
                        At 11/16/2003, you wrote:
                        >I have notice a need in this area for Wash/Shaving stands. every
                        >morning at SCA and Mountain man events you will see someone trying to
                        >hold a razor and miror Or washing there face and hands .Most try this
                        >on a table with not much luck. If you could make a fold down or take
                        >apart unit the would allow people to not have to hold severl Items at
                        >once.

                        Any pictures of what you are suggesting?

                        Message 11 of 24 , Nov 16, 2003
                          Conal and Christophe make them in the Middle Kingdom (Cincinnati, OH)
                          > Aodhfin

                          Ive have been meaning to get one from Lord Conal but never seem to
                          have the money left after the event to do so."My lady has spent it on
                          prittys"
                          Alessandro
                        • logan
                          Message 12 of 24 , Nov 16, 2003
                            Message
                            oh yes please.  that happens to be one of my projects for pennsic next year.  i have some visions but examples are much better.

                            regards
                            logan

                            Message 13 of 24 , Nov 16, 2003
                              >Ive have been meaning to get one from Lord Conal but never seem to
                              >have the money left after the event to do so."My lady has spent it on
                              >prittys"

                              So you tell her that not only it is pritty it'self, but it will
                              help her be pritty as well (at which point you also quickly say "not that
                              you need help being pritty!")

                              Aodhfin
                            • Lord Alessandro dEste
                              Message 14 of 24 , Nov 16, 2003
                                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Scott Lane <scotty@o...> wrote:

                                > So you tell her that not only it is pritty it'self, but it
                                will
                                > help her be pritty as well (at which point you also quickly say "not
                                that
                                > you need help being pritty!")
                                >
                                > Aodhfin

                                Easyer said than done, when she has the check book and Im out watching
                                the fighters and such..lol
                                Alessandro
                              • Lord Alessandro dEste
                                Message 15 of 24 , Nov 16, 2003
                                  --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "logan" <dukelogan@b...> wrote:
                                  > oh yes please. that happens to be one of my projects for pennsic
                                  next year.
                                  > i have some visions but examples are much better.
                                  >
                                  > regards
                                  > logan

                                  I have seen several models.
                                  the ones I think Conel makes has sissor type folding leggs wich hold
                                  the table top. The table top has a stopper underneath and a guide rail
                                  wich the leggs slide open on. it also has a hole that a dish-pan sits
                                  into. then the top has a miror set into it. The top is hinged to the
                                  table top. and has a variable friction stay so it will not fall back.
                                  The one I posted a pic of is a non take down style. wich I have seen
                                  used at blackpowder events and in homes.
                                  Alessandro
                                • rmhowe
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Nov 16, 2003
                                    Don Bowen wrote:
                                    > At 11/16/2003, you wrote:
                                    >
                                    >> None of the living history hobbies have to many woodworkers.

                                    But some of the ones they have are really good.

                                    >> Black smiths grow on trees so I for one would not mind someone else
                                    >> selling wood items in the camp next to me. Might even exchange
                                    >> ideas. Toys and more toy sell very well and easy to carry.

                                    When I was still in college I used to make toys to sell at
                                    Xmas time. Helped me pay for my gifts to my family and for
                                    the trip home. Didn't have a lot of money in those early days.
                                    I also did carpentry, sawn world coin jewelry, and sign carving
                                    in those days. I did bouncing too for a while and I worked
                                    maximum security for several years. It was an interesting time.
                                    :)

                                    Speaking of which there was an outstanding video on the
                                    Woodwright's Shop yesterday on carving with Rick Cavalo.
                                    1-800-PlayPBS or http://www.shoppbs.com/ search Woodwright's
                                    Shop. New and definitely worth ordering. NTSC format which
                                    is only good for North America though.

                                    > I had also noticed the number of smithys set up and the number of metal
                                    > items sold. That is why I thougth about wood items.

                                    Everyone in the reenactor societies needs a decent set of
                                    chests - food, clothing, seating, armor. Hide that ice-chest.
                                    Check out English Medieval Chests from Caber Press.
                                    It's on the .pdf page.
                                    Jack C. Thompson
                                    Thompson Conservation Lab.
                                    7549 N. Fenwick
                                    Portland, OR 97217

                                    503/735-3942 (voice/fax)
                                    tcl@...
                                    http://home.teleport.com/~tcl/ 1/03
                                    http://www.teleport.com/~tcl/
                                    http://home.teleport.com/~tcl/caber.htm 1/03

                                    http://home.teleport.com/~tcl/CaberPress_web.pdf

                                    It was reprinted from two articles from 1907 and 1912
                                    I bought on the antiquarian market. It was too good
                                    not to have reprinted at a reasonable cost for others.
                                    Lots of inauthentic attempts abound. This will give
                                    you an idea of a variety of chest constructions.

                                    For about $14 you get a lot of constructional details
                                    and the chests actually cover about five centuries.
                                    The photos in the back are from an article on later
                                    chests. Rubbings of the carvings and measurements
                                    are included on some of them.

                                    BTW. While I helped originate the reprinting I don't
                                    make a dime unless I order and sell them myself by
                                    the dozen, and they sold very well for me.

                                    There is also one on locks and keys. It contains
                                    Ancient Locks and Keys 1883 [very rare] by General
                                    Pitt-Rivers, two articles Jack dug up, and a bibliography
                                    of ancient to modern locks and keys books [I need to
                                    update as my research has gone further] by me.
                                    It has wooden and metal locks in it.

                                    Master Magnus, OL, Great Barony of Windmasters Hill [SCA],
                                    Regia.org, Manx, Great Dark Horde brother.

                                    > Awl Knotted Up - Custom woodworking
                                    >
                                    > Don Bowen donb@...
                                    > Valley Center, CA
                                    >
                                    > http://www.braingarage.com <http://www.braingarage.com/>

                                    Your mystery item is a pair of sheet metal shears that
                                    preceded the Beverly Shears. The style goes back to
                                    medieval times and the angle on one handle was stuck
                                    into a stump, vise or workbench. The number 10 probably denotes
                                    the gauge metal it would cut to. I've had two pairs.
                                    Mine would cut near that size, but as I have a Beverly
                                    Shear further experimentation was nil. We used to make armor
                                    here.

                                    When some people sharpen them they file too much too close
                                    to the rivet/pivot for the shears and at that point
                                    it can block cutting any further into the metal, which it
                                    otherwise would pass by.

                                    Your webpages email query bin isn't working, which is why
                                    I decided to reply here.

                                    I'm one of those odd goobers who studied Industrial Arts
                                    in college and collected thousands of books and tools
                                    ever since. I was multi-traded until I disabled with
                                    a muscular/nervous and immune system disease. Go figure.

                                    Magnus
                                  • Omer
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Nov 17, 2003
                                              I have and will post loom when I have scanner set up.  Will be a couple of weeks off.

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Nov 17, 2003

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Nov 19, 2003
                                          http://anvil.unl.edu/toli/loom.html, has simple plans for a loom with
                                          2 solid sides. The dowels have support on each side, and therefore
                                          the construction technique doesn't have to be as precise to keep the
                                          dowels from bending under the stress of a warp. It's not exactly
                                          pretty, but it's functional and that's ok - and it could get you
                                          started weaving while you wait for a handsome loom in hardwood! After
                                          all, it's all about the weaving - well, for us weavers, anyway! :-)

                                          The solid sides could be painted, for that matter, or if it were made
                                          from a real board instead of particle board as the site suggests, it
                                          could be carved, and be as decorated as your heart desires.

                                          There are many inkle weaving pages out there online for warping and
                                          weaving help. Inkle looms also can work well as a loom for tablet
                                          weaving.

                                          Elfreda
                                          An An Tir weaver very lucky to be married to a woodworker:
                                          "Gee, it'd be nice to have a ....."

                                          > I would love instructions on how to build an inkle loom, if someone
                                          has a
                                          > pattern they can share.
                                          >
                                          > Laurensa
                                        • yurtsatshaw
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Nov 19, 2003
                                            If you remove the comma from the end, the link works better :-)

                                            Sunjan,
                                            also from An Tir :-)

                                            << Boy it's fun having Internet access again.....>>

                                            > has simple plans for a loom with 2 solid sides.

                                            8-< snippus minor >-8