Domestic Wooden Artifacts in Britain

  • rmhowe
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 15, 2003
      It took me several years to find this thing and
      multiple (4?) attempts to buy it. Now the thing is
      available at the biggest booksellers. Go figure.

      This is not a large format book. I would only buy it if
      I were really interested in the subject of early
      wooden working in which case it is one of the
      better ones. Keep in mind a lot of things survive
      in wet contexts. I don't remember it being definitive
      though, nor is it highly illustrative. Some of the
      stuff in it is a bit amazing though.

      Shirebooks.com has something along with line of
      Wood in Archaeology that isn't too bad.
      Archaeology by Experiment also wasn't too bad.

      Earwood, Caroline:
      Domestic Wooden Artifacts in Britain and
      Ireland to Viking Times
      University of Exeter Press
      Hardcover, 320pp, December 1993, ISBN: 0859893898,
      136 pls & figs, cloth, dust jacket, small quarto.
      An excellent survey & classification of items mainly
      from wetland sites including buckets, bowls etc.

      Barnes & Noble.com bn.com
      [United States] Hardcover, ISBN: 0859893898
      Publisher: University of Exeter Press
      Free shipping in the US (see site for details) $79.95

      Amazon.com
      [United States] Hardcover, ISBN: 0859893898
      Publisher: University of Exeter Press $85.00

      Note: Amazon has free shipping on anything over $25
      now and it's getting particularly good on heavy
      discounts on CDs and movies. Something to keep in
      mind for Christmas. I give our nieces cash value
      cards from the bookstores and let them get what they
      want.

      I remember too well the cheesy plastic gifts
      we so often got from our uncles and aunts. Plastic
      pens with four color cartridges for example. One
      decided I liked hot ginger candy and over the next dozen
      years we accumulated a cupboard shelf full of the stuff
      that no one would eat. I couldn't believe it when it
      came with us when we changed houses. It may still be
      there nearly 40 years later. Maybe it repels roaches.
      As my step-father just died maybe someone will finally
      throw it out. None of us kids live near there anymore.

      This year the wife and I sent many small boxes of
      gifts to the troops in the Gulf. DVDs, carving kits I made
      up, new novels, colorful stationery and greeting cards for
      them to send to their children, wives, parents. Hard candy
      and assorted gums, hygiene items. Those noble volunteers are
      there to protect you. To do it the easy way:
      http://www.usometrodc.org/care.html

      Master Magnus, OL,
      Barony of Windmasters Hill [SCA], Regia.org, Manx, GDH