Re: [medievalsawdust] Brief intro

  • Tim Bray
    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 15, 2003
      Hi Don,

      >I am thinking of building and selling items for SCA and Mountain man
      >gatherings. That would be a way to allow me to get more involved in those
      >activities even with my reduced income. I joined this group to learn more
      >about what people would be interested in and also to learn techniques.

      From my experience making & selling medieval furniture for a couple of
      years, I'd say people are interested in: Chairs, Beds, and Chests, then
      stools/benches, tables, and small coffers. Knockdown joinery is key: in
      the SCA market, _everything_ has to break down. Boy, do I cut a lot of
      tusk-tenons.

      You're in SoCal, right? I think you have a nice market awaiting you, if
      you can hit the price points with acceptable quality. I've sold a few
      pieces to customers in Caid, even though I have done little marketing there
      (one GWW and one Estrella). There should be room for another woodworker,
      so hopefully we won't end up cutting each other's throats! ;-)

      Cheers,
      Colin

      Albion Works
      Furniture and Accessories
      For the Medievalist!
      http://www.albionworks.net
      http://www.albionworks.com
    • Don Bowen
      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 15, 2003
        At 11/15/2003, you wrote:
        Building and selling items for SCA and Mountain man is a good Ideal.
        Ive been do so for several years now. I have loads of fun doing so.
        And make a good income from it. Fire kits, grates,pokers and trivits
        sell at both kinds of events.

        Thanks for the info.  I will do a bit of research into those items.

        Awl Knotted Up  - Custom woodworking

        Don Bowen                          donb@...
        Valley Center, CA

        http://www.braingarage.com
      • Don Bowen
        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 15, 2003
          At 11/15/2003, you wrote:
          From my experience making & selling medieval furniture for a couple of years, I'd say people are interested in: Chairs, Beds, and Chests, then stools/benches, tables, and small coffers.  Knockdown joinery is key: in the SCA market, _everything_ has to break down.   Boy, do I cut a lot of tusk-tenons.

          Thanks for the info, I was thinking along those lines but not necessarily in that order.  I will rethink my ordering.

          You're in SoCal, right?  I think you have a nice market awaiting you, if you can hit the price points with acceptable quality.  I've sold a few pieces to customers in Caid, even though I have done little marketing there (one GWW and one Estrella).   There should be room for another woodworker, so hopefully we won't end up cutting each other's throats!  ;-)

          That is why I have asked on several lists.  I am hoping that if anyone is established in the area and feels that there is not room for another that they will write me.  It would not do anyone any good to dilute things.   Right now I am trying to find any schedules so I can go and talk with people and see what they would like to see.

          Awl Knotted Up  - Custom woodworking

          Don Bowen                          donb@...
          Valley Center, CA

          http://www.braingarage.com
        • Lord Alessandro dEste
          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 16, 2003
            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Don Bowen <donb@c...> wrote:
            > At 11/15/2003, you wrote:
            > >Building and selling items for SCA and Mountain man is a good Ideal.
            > >Ive been do so for several years now. I have loads of fun doing so.
            > >And make a good income from it. Fire kits, grates,pokers and trivits
            > >sell at both kinds of events.
            >
            > Thanks for the info. I will do a bit of research into those items.
            >
            > Awl Knotted Up - Custom woodworking
            >
            > Don Bowen donb@c...
            > Valley Center, CA
            >
            > http://www.braingarage.com

            Sorry about that Don I had just finished reading My Blacksmithing
            Group when I read your post. My mind slipped from Woodworking back to
            metal.
            I have notice a need in this area for Wash/Shaving stands. every
            morning at SCA and Mountain man events you will see someone trying to
            hold a razor and miror Or washing there face and hands .Most try this
            on a table with not much luck. If you could make a fold down or take
            apart unit the would allow people to not have to hold severl Items at
            once. Im shure you would find a market for it in both The SCA and
            Mountainman areas. I have seen them sold on the east coast and here in
            the Midwest. Best of Luck.
            IYS
            Lord Alessandro dEste
            Sternfeld-Midrelm
          • Omer
            Message 5 of 24 , Nov 16, 2003
                      None of the living history hobbies have to many woodworkers.  Black smiths grow on trees so I for one would not mind someone else selling wood items in the camp next to me.  Might even exchange ideas.  Toys and more toy sell very well and easy to carry.   Tops, stick men, skittle you name it.  They can be sold any place outsiders are around.   Inkle looms sell almost as fast as I can make them.  Made a pull handle top one time for the kids not for sale some lady had never seen one and offered me $60.oo for the thing, poor kids.

                      Omer
              >I am thinking of building and selling items for SCA and Mountain man
              >gatherings.  That would be a way to allow me to get more involved in those
              >activities even with my reduced income.  I joined this group to learn more
              >about what people would be interested in and also to learn techniques.

              From my experience making & selling medieval furniture for a couple of

              Message 6 of 24 , Nov 16, 2003
                At 11/16/2003, you wrote:
                Sorry about that Don I had just finished reading My Blacksmithing
                Group when I read your post. My mind slipped from Woodworking back to
                metal.

                No problem, I also have a smithy and gas, stick & wire feed welders.  If those items would sell then I would be interested.  What Blacksmith group are you referring to?

                I have notice a need in this area for Wash/Shaving stands. every
                morning at SCA and Mountain man events you will see someone trying to
                hold a razor and miror Or washing there face and hands .Most try this
                on a table with not much luck. If you could make a fold down or take
                apart unit the would allow people to not have to hold severl Items at
                once. Im shure you would find a market for it in both The SCA and
                Mountainman areas. I have seen them sold on the east coast and here in
                the Midwest. Best of Luck.

                Seems to be a good place to come up with an original design, thanks.

                Message 7 of 24 , Nov 16, 2003
                  At 11/16/2003, you wrote:
                          None of the living history hobbies have to many woodworkers.  Black smiths grow on trees so I for one would not mind someone else selling wood items in the camp next to me.  Might even exchange ideas.  Toys and more toy sell very well and easy to carry.

                  I had also noticed the number of smithys set up and the number of metal items sold.  That is why I thougth about wood items.

                  Message 8 of 24 , Nov 16, 2003

                    blacksmiths@yahoogroups.com

                    > Seems to be a good place to come up with an original design, thanks.
                    >
                    > Awl Knotted Up - Custom woodworking
                    >
                    > Don Bowen donb@c...
                    > Valley Center, CA
                    >
                    > http://www.braingarage.com
                  • Lord Alessandro dEste
                    Message 9 of 24 , Nov 16, 2003
                      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Omer" <omer77@c...> wrote:
                      > None of the living history hobbies have to many woodworkers.
                      Black smiths grow on trees so I for one would not mind someone else
                      selling wood items in the camp next to me.
                      > Omer

                      Omer
                      I have to disagree with you on the Black smiths grow on trees.
                      Within the SCA I dont see that at all. I see tons of Armorers.
                      But not Black smiths. If they grew on trees we would have a guild here
                      in the Midrelm. Now in the Blackpowder/Rendezvous there are tons of
                      smiths. And very little woodworkers as we in the SCA know them.
                      IYS
                      Sandro d'Este
                    • Dianne & Greg Stucki
                      Message 10 of 24 , Nov 16, 2003
                        > > None of the living history hobbies have to many woodworkers.
                        > Black smiths grow on trees so I for one would not mind someone else
                        > selling wood items in the camp next to me.
                        > > Omer

                        I would love instructions on how to build an inkle loom, if someone has a
                        pattern they can share.

                        Laurensa
                      • Scott Lane
                        Message 11 of 24 , Nov 16, 2003
                          >I have notice a need in this area for Wash/Shaving stands. every
                          >morning at SCA and Mountain man events you will see someone trying to
                          >hold a razor and miror Or washing there face and hands .Most try this
                          >on a table with not much luck. If you could make a fold down or take
                          >apart unit the would allow people to not have to hold severl Items at
                          >once. Im shure you would find a market for it in both The SCA and
                          >Mountainman areas. I have seen them sold on the east coast and here in
                          >the Midwest. Best of Luck.

                          Conal and Christophe make them in the Middle Kingdom (Cincinnati, OH)

                          Aodhfin
                        • Don Bowen
                          Message 12 of 24 , Nov 16, 2003
                            At 11/16/2003, you wrote:
                            >I have notice a need in this area for Wash/Shaving stands. every
                            >morning at SCA and Mountain man events you will see someone trying to
                            >hold a razor and miror Or washing there face and hands .Most try this
                            >on a table with not much luck. If you could make a fold down or take
                            >apart unit the would allow people to not have to hold severl Items at
                            >once.

                            Any pictures of what you are suggesting?

                            Message 13 of 24 , Nov 16, 2003
                              Conal and Christophe make them in the Middle Kingdom (Cincinnati, OH)
                              > Aodhfin

                              Ive have been meaning to get one from Lord Conal but never seem to
                              have the money left after the event to do so."My lady has spent it on
                              prittys"
                              Alessandro
                            • logan
                              Message 14 of 24 , Nov 16, 2003
                                Message
                                oh yes please.  that happens to be one of my projects for pennsic next year.  i have some visions but examples are much better.

                                regards
                                logan

                                Message 15 of 24 , Nov 16, 2003
                                  >Ive have been meaning to get one from Lord Conal but never seem to
                                  >have the money left after the event to do so."My lady has spent it on
                                  >prittys"

                                  So you tell her that not only it is pritty it'self, but it will
                                  help her be pritty as well (at which point you also quickly say "not that
                                  you need help being pritty!")

                                  Aodhfin
                                • Lord Alessandro dEste
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Nov 16, 2003
                                    --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Scott Lane <scotty@o...> wrote:

                                    > So you tell her that not only it is pritty it'self, but it
                                    will
                                    > help her be pritty as well (at which point you also quickly say "not
                                    that
                                    > you need help being pritty!")
                                    >
                                    > Aodhfin

                                    Easyer said than done, when she has the check book and Im out watching
                                    the fighters and such..lol
                                    Alessandro
                                  • Lord Alessandro dEste
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Nov 16, 2003
                                      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "logan" <dukelogan@b...> wrote:
                                      > oh yes please. that happens to be one of my projects for pennsic
                                      next year.
                                      > i have some visions but examples are much better.
                                      >
                                      > regards
                                      > logan

                                      I have seen several models.
                                      the ones I think Conel makes has sissor type folding leggs wich hold
                                      the table top. The table top has a stopper underneath and a guide rail
                                      wich the leggs slide open on. it also has a hole that a dish-pan sits
                                      into. then the top has a miror set into it. The top is hinged to the
                                      table top. and has a variable friction stay so it will not fall back.
                                      The one I posted a pic of is a non take down style. wich I have seen
                                      used at blackpowder events and in homes.
                                      Alessandro
                                    • rmhowe
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Nov 16, 2003
                                        Don Bowen wrote:
                                        > At 11/16/2003, you wrote:
                                        >
                                        >> None of the living history hobbies have to many woodworkers.

                                        But some of the ones they have are really good.

                                        >> Black smiths grow on trees so I for one would not mind someone else
                                        >> selling wood items in the camp next to me. Might even exchange
                                        >> ideas. Toys and more toy sell very well and easy to carry.

                                        When I was still in college I used to make toys to sell at
                                        Xmas time. Helped me pay for my gifts to my family and for
                                        the trip home. Didn't have a lot of money in those early days.
                                        I also did carpentry, sawn world coin jewelry, and sign carving
                                        in those days. I did bouncing too for a while and I worked
                                        maximum security for several years. It was an interesting time.
                                        :)

                                        Speaking of which there was an outstanding video on the
                                        Woodwright's Shop yesterday on carving with Rick Cavalo.
                                        1-800-PlayPBS or http://www.shoppbs.com/ search Woodwright's
                                        Shop. New and definitely worth ordering. NTSC format which
                                        is only good for North America though.

                                        > I had also noticed the number of smithys set up and the number of metal
                                        > items sold. That is why I thougth about wood items.

                                        Everyone in the reenactor societies needs a decent set of
                                        chests - food, clothing, seating, armor. Hide that ice-chest.
                                        Check out English Medieval Chests from Caber Press.
                                        It's on the .pdf page.
                                        Jack C. Thompson
                                        Thompson Conservation Lab.
                                        7549 N. Fenwick
                                        Portland, OR 97217

                                        503/735-3942 (voice/fax)
                                        tcl@...
                                        http://home.teleport.com/~tcl/ 1/03
                                        http://www.teleport.com/~tcl/
                                        http://home.teleport.com/~tcl/caber.htm 1/03

                                        http://home.teleport.com/~tcl/CaberPress_web.pdf

                                        It was reprinted from two articles from 1907 and 1912
                                        I bought on the antiquarian market. It was too good
                                        not to have reprinted at a reasonable cost for others.
                                        Lots of inauthentic attempts abound. This will give
                                        you an idea of a variety of chest constructions.

                                        For about $14 you get a lot of constructional details
                                        and the chests actually cover about five centuries.
                                        The photos in the back are from an article on later
                                        chests. Rubbings of the carvings and measurements
                                        are included on some of them.

                                        BTW. While I helped originate the reprinting I don't
                                        make a dime unless I order and sell them myself by
                                        the dozen, and they sold very well for me.

                                        There is also one on locks and keys. It contains
                                        Ancient Locks and Keys 1883 [very rare] by General
                                        Pitt-Rivers, two articles Jack dug up, and a bibliography
                                        of ancient to modern locks and keys books [I need to
                                        update as my research has gone further] by me.
                                        It has wooden and metal locks in it.

                                        Master Magnus, OL, Great Barony of Windmasters Hill [SCA],
                                        Regia.org, Manx, Great Dark Horde brother.

                                        > Awl Knotted Up - Custom woodworking
                                        >
                                        > Don Bowen donb@...
                                        > Valley Center, CA
                                        >
                                        > http://www.braingarage.com <http://www.braingarage.com/>

                                        Your mystery item is a pair of sheet metal shears that
                                        preceded the Beverly Shears. The style goes back to
                                        medieval times and the angle on one handle was stuck
                                        into a stump, vise or workbench. The number 10 probably denotes
                                        the gauge metal it would cut to. I've had two pairs.
                                        Mine would cut near that size, but as I have a Beverly
                                        Shear further experimentation was nil. We used to make armor
                                        here.

                                        When some people sharpen them they file too much too close
                                        to the rivet/pivot for the shears and at that point
                                        it can block cutting any further into the metal, which it
                                        otherwise would pass by.

                                        Your webpages email query bin isn't working, which is why
                                        I decided to reply here.

                                        I'm one of those odd goobers who studied Industrial Arts
                                        in college and collected thousands of books and tools
                                        ever since. I was multi-traded until I disabled with
                                        a muscular/nervous and immune system disease. Go figure.

                                        Magnus
                                      • Omer
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Nov 17, 2003
                                                  I have and will post loom when I have scanner set up.  Will be a couple of weeks off.

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Nov 17, 2003

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Nov 19, 2003
                                              http://anvil.unl.edu/toli/loom.html, has simple plans for a loom with
                                              2 solid sides. The dowels have support on each side, and therefore
                                              the construction technique doesn't have to be as precise to keep the
                                              dowels from bending under the stress of a warp. It's not exactly
                                              pretty, but it's functional and that's ok - and it could get you
                                              started weaving while you wait for a handsome loom in hardwood! After
                                              all, it's all about the weaving - well, for us weavers, anyway! :-)

                                              The solid sides could be painted, for that matter, or if it were made
                                              from a real board instead of particle board as the site suggests, it
                                              could be carved, and be as decorated as your heart desires.

                                              There are many inkle weaving pages out there online for warping and
                                              weaving help. Inkle looms also can work well as a loom for tablet
                                              weaving.

                                              Elfreda
                                              An An Tir weaver very lucky to be married to a woodworker:
                                              "Gee, it'd be nice to have a ....."

                                              > I would love instructions on how to build an inkle loom, if someone
                                              has a
                                              > pattern they can share.
                                              >
                                              > Laurensa
                                            • yurtsatshaw
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Nov 19, 2003
                                                If you remove the comma from the end, the link works better :-)

                                                Sunjan,
                                                also from An Tir :-)

                                                << Boy it's fun having Internet access again.....>>

                                                > has simple plans for a loom with 2 solid sides.

                                                8-< snippus minor >-8