RE: [MedievalSawdust] Re: over-engineering something on purpose

  • julian wilson
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2009
      I, too, applaud Geoffrey's thoughfulk and insightful; exposition.
       However, since I am deep in a study of medieval trade patterns at the moment, which is opening my mind to many possibilities, I'd like to add a couple of items for consideration.
       The first is that the whole of medieval noble and gentle society  - at least in Western Europe, - was partly-driven by a concept of conspicuous display, and the rarer an item was when  newly imported into your home area, the more a noble "scored a coup" over his less-fortunate neighbours.
      The second - of which I have only just become really aware, [ through said studies] is that the "speed of transmission" of ideas and designs, and merchantable goods, - seems to have been very-much faster than I was ever taught in my earlier studies of medieval History. Reading Peter Spufford's two exhaustively-researched "magnum Opi", - and given that merchants were always seeking things they could make a profit on selling, - there seems no good reason why a "new design" noticed in Sicily by a Florentine Merchant in one year, - could not have been on sale on his stall at the Champagne Fairs six months later.

      For the rest, I thoroughly agree with Geoffrey, and thank him for his well-balanced response.

      Julian Wilson,
       in "old" Jersey