Re: [MedievalSawdust] Wooden crates

  • Wolf
    Message 1 of 34 , May 2, 2009
      For that matter, some vegetable crates might be workable. Around 17
      years ago I picked up a couple cabbage crates (the "inked-on" label had
      check-boxes for whether it was bok choy or napa cabbage). About 10
      years ago, SWMBO asked for a box to put our growing collection of feast
      gear in - rather than come up with something new, I merely used both
      crates to make one "Ren box". I'll get the measurements and method of
      construction, and post them if anyone's interested.

      Best part of it is, the "frame" (off the top of my head, two rectangles
      of 1" stock) are on the *outside* of the box - no need for handles
      unless you're carrying more than 50lbs of stuff.

      ...in which case, I'd ask some young, husky Squire to help out a
      decrepit old man anyway! :-)

      Wolf

      On Sat, 2009-05-02 at 10:46 -0700, conradh@... wrote:

      > An old-time fruit crate might make a good pattern. I have one which I
      > use
      > shopping sometimes; it's about the biggest size that will lift in and
      > out
      > of a shopping cart without jamming, and about the largest size that
      > fits
      > well on the back rack of my bike. It's 12 x 12 x 20 inches, and each
      > side
      > and the bottom is made up of three 1/4 x 3 1/2 inch softwood slats.
      > The
      > four vertical edges are reinforced with a triangular piece on the
      > inside
      > that's 1 1/2 inches on a side (in other words, rip a nominal 2x2
      > diagonally for two braces)
      >
      > There are 1 inch gaps between the slots. Either put one of your
      > shopping
      > bags inside to contain things like small spice bottles, or just use
      > more
      > or wider slats to eliminate the gaps--this shouldn't add too much
      > weight.
      > If you do fill in the gaps, you might want to add a wooden grip or
      > webbing
      > straps to make it easier to lift the loaded box. The one I use is
      > cheap
      > softwood, but no reason you couldn't use a pretty hardwood just as
      > well.
      > The hardwood will be heavier but stronger--perhaps you could resaw the
      > stock to a little less than 1/4 inch thick? I know mine has lasted
      > more
      > than ten years.
      >
      > Ulfhedinn
      >
      > On Sat, May 2, 2009 9:37 am, leaking pen wrote:
      > > I wouldn't neccesarily make it fit a cart. I've known people who
      > just
      > > put everything back into the cart, then load into boxes in their
      > vehicle.
      > >
      > > On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 9:29 AM, dashleea <dashleea@...> wrote:
      > >

      > >> Hello,
      > >> I am looking for a pattern for a wooden crate that will fit in
      > 'modern
      > >> grocery store buggies'. I am planning on making these for Christmas
      > >> presents.
      > >>
      > >> It needs to be strong enough to hold up to daily use of modern
      > >> shopping. Like transporting can goods, bottles of wine, gallon of
      > milk,
      > >> 5lb bags of
      > >> sugar, etc. It needs to be able to hold even the small items like a
      > box
      > >> of spices, toothpicks, ect.

    • James Winkler
      Message 34 of 34 , May 8, 2009

        Leaking pen wrote:  >> So sit down, shut up, and if you aren't interested in the topic at
        hand, heres a great idea. DON'T READ IT.  <<

        Wow… harsh dude...   and this doesn’t apply to you how???

        Chas.

        _,_._,___