Re: [MedievalSawdust] Wooden crates

  • conradh@efn.org
    Message 1 of 34 , May 2, 2009
      An old-time fruit crate might make a good pattern. I have one which I use
      shopping sometimes; it's about the biggest size that will lift in and out
      of a shopping cart without jamming, and about the largest size that fits
      well on the back rack of my bike. It's 12 x 12 x 20 inches, and each side
      and the bottom is made up of three 1/4 x 3 1/2 inch softwood slats. The
      four vertical edges are reinforced with a triangular piece on the inside
      that's 1 1/2 inches on a side (in other words, rip a nominal 2x2
      diagonally for two braces)

      There are 1 inch gaps between the slots. Either put one of your shopping
      bags inside to contain things like small spice bottles, or just use more
      or wider slats to eliminate the gaps--this shouldn't add too much weight.
      If you do fill in the gaps, you might want to add a wooden grip or webbing
      straps to make it easier to lift the loaded box. The one I use is cheap
      softwood, but no reason you couldn't use a pretty hardwood just as well.
      The hardwood will be heavier but stronger--perhaps you could resaw the
      stock to a little less than 1/4 inch thick? I know mine has lasted more
      than ten years.

      Ulfhedinn

      On Sat, May 2, 2009 9:37 am, leaking pen wrote:
      > I wouldn't neccesarily make it fit a cart. I've known people who just
      > put everything back into the cart, then load into boxes in their vehicle.
      >
      > On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 9:29 AM, dashleea <dashleea@...> wrote:
      >

      >> Hello,
      >> I am looking for a pattern for a wooden crate that will fit in 'modern
      >> grocery store buggies'. I am planning on making these for Christmas
      >> presents.
      >>
      >> It needs to be strong enough to hold up to daily use of modern
      >> shopping. Like transporting can goods, bottles of wine, gallon of milk,
      >> 5lb bags of
      >> sugar, etc. It needs to be able to hold even the small items like a box
      >> of spices, toothpicks, ect.
    • James Winkler
      Message 34 of 34 , May 8, 2009

        Leaking pen wrote:  >> So sit down, shut up, and if you aren't interested in the topic at
        hand, heres a great idea. DON'T READ IT.  <<

        Wow… harsh dude...   and this doesn’t apply to you how???

        Chas.

        _,_._,___