OT - reparing a finish on an antique sewinrf machin cabinet

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 26, 2009
      shhhhhh.

      do not tell my wife

      Mother day is coming.

      I've come into the possesion of a Singer tredle sewing machine
      that is in great shape except for the top. It's got some discoloration
      from water ( I think ) and it's very dry.... The rest looks great.

      What can I do to dress it up without decreasing the value of it as
      an antique?

      ( it still has the manuals...... very nice find )

      Oh and advice on cleaning the machine itself would be good too
      the painted parts have a very light oxidized look to them...nothing
      too bad just a little dull.

      I can take pictures tomorrow when there is a smaller chance of her
      see it before Mother's Day.

    • Alex Haugland
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 26, 2009
        From my memory, I seem to remember that the finish of the old singer cabinets was a shellac... If that's the case, simply re-shellacing the cabinet with freshly mixed shellac may fix it, depending on the extent of the damage (whether or not it's penetrated the finish to the wood, causing warping, delamination, etc.).  Since shellac is dissolved in alcohol, the new coat will re-dissolve the older one and bond with it, so there would be no stripping involved.  As a test for this, perhaps wet a rag with denatured alcohol and wipe an inconspicuous area to see if the finish lifts off.

        --Alysaundre Weldon d'Ath
        Barony of Adiantum, An Tir.

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 30, 2009
          pictures.....

          Photo One

          Photo Two

          Photo Three

          Photo Four

          Photo Five

          Photo Six

          Photo Seven

        • brother_wm
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 30, 2009

            > pictures.....
            >
            > Photo One
            {snip}
            > Photo Seven
            >
            > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
            >
            > Aude Aliquid Dignum
            > ' Dare Something Worthy '

            This is a Singer Red Eye machine. To clean that you want to use Goop or Go-Jo hand cleaner (THE NON PUMICE KIND!). Wipe it on and gently rub it off. DO NOT use anything with alcohol in it to clean the machine head! This will dissolve the clear-coat (Varnish) that early machines used for protection over the decals. If you use and alcohol based product, expect your gold decals to turn silver and the red to fade off.

            The top is oak. The stains in black enforce that fact. Oak has tannin in it. When that comes into contact with rust (from the bottom of the jar lid they used to "protect" the top from the excess water they put in the flower pot) tannin turns BLACK. If this were red oak, the black would be much more observable.

            IF you want to re-finish this, strip it, bleach it with a wood bleach and refinish to your hearts content.

            I would wipe it down with a wet rag to get the dirt off, and coat it with a very thin polyurethane.

            My 2P.

            brother william
            for more treadle instructions, go to http://treadleon.net/
          • brother_wm
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 30, 2009

              > shhhhhh.
              >
              > do not tell my wife
              >
              > Mother day is coming.

              Go HERE:
              http://www.singerco.com/support/serial_numbers.html
              to date your singer.

              brother william
              and Alcohol will turn varnish WHITE. Try on a tiny spot first.