Re: [medievalsawdust] RE:SCA A&S Assistance please

  • marc adkins
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2003
      Thanks, I will check out the link
      Wilhelm von Winkleried
      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Monday, November 03, 2003 2:12 PM
      Subject: [medievalsawdust] RE:SCA A&S Assistance please

      > Subject: SCA A&S Assistance please
      >
      > Greetings to the list.
      > I am a beginning SCA woodworker/lumberjack in the kingdom of Ansteorra. currently working on taking a log to a finished project, documenting all the tools and steps as I go.
      > The question I am sending to the list is this. Is the splitting maul period for the SCA and how early/late. I was planning on using this tool to halve the log, but I cannot find much documentation for it.

            Hi,

            I did some research into the origins of the froe a few months ago, a summary of which can be seen here.

            http://www.geocities.com/abs1nth/wood/froedoc.html

            There is not much evidence of froes pre-1600 but a small amount does exist.

            From what I can ascertain their current popularity as an 'historical' tool stems mainly from thier predominant use in the new-world. Although they were known and used in europe, they were much more useful in north america, due to the presence of large old-growth trees with long striaght grain. With the constant cropping of trees over hundreds of years in europe, such straight grained would was not as common (although obviously it still existed)

            Hope that helps

            Vitale

      This electronic message together with any attachments is confidential. If
      you receive it in error: (i) you must not use, disclose, copy or retain
      it; (ii) please contact the sender immediately by reply email and then
      delete the emails. Views expressed in this email may not be those of the
      Airways Corporation of New Zealand Limited