Re: Shop Security

  • avery1415@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 15, 2009
      >My Guns are stored in a FIRE PROOF GUN VAULT!

      Sorry, George, I didn't mean to imply anything about you. Just that criminals tend to not to be our best and brightest. I had a burglar walk into my house about a year and a half ago. While we were home! Ultimately, he didn't get anything. (Well, not from me. I'm not sure what the judge gave him.)

      After it was all said and done I found myself thinking this way. "OK, he was on foot. What of mine could he have carried in his arms that would have gotten him the most at a pawn shop." I figured it would be one or two of my tools, or maybe my digital camera and one of my tools, and at a pawn shop, if he picked the most pawnable of my things he would have gotten maybe as much as a shift or two at McDonnalds would pay with minimal risk of being shot, stabbed, beaten or becoming a resident of the Missouri department of corrections.

      My personal fear is the thousands of dollars worth of damage a burglar might do to my house to steal a hundred dollars or so worth of stuff. Particularly the neighborhood juvenile delinquent class of burglar.

      Avery
    • Oakes, George
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 15, 2009

        Your concerns are real, and unfortunately they happen, and it seems more, and more frequently as the economy worsens. Even when the economy is good, the crimes still takes place, and it is because not only are the criminals not the best nor the brightest, they are lazy and easy pickings are what these criminals look for, so if you leave something in the open and not nailed or chained down these criminals will eventually find them, and separate you from your hard earned money(items).

        I don’t know about your state laws, but if a criminal were to enter my house while I was home, they would be carrying them out in a body bag, because they died of lead poisoning. Just saying…

        In any event, protect yourself, and your valuables. If you have an external shop or unattached building, make sure your home-owners insurance covers the structure and the contents. These items can be replaced, lives cannot. For that I recommend, a fur covered set of sharp teeth (WELL TRAINED DOG), security system, self-defense lessons, and or personal protection in the calibers of 9mm or larger OR all of the above! Again within the laws of your state of course.

        Gavin

        >My Guns are stored in a FIRE PROOF GUN VAULT!

        Sorry, George, I didn't mean to imply anything about you. Just that criminals tend to not to be our best and brightest. I had a burglar walk into my house about a year and a half ago. While we were home! Ultimately, he didn't get anything. (Well, not from me. I'm not sure what the judge gave him.)

        After it was all said and done I found myself thinking this way. "OK, he was on foot. What of mine could he have carried in his arms that would have gotten him the most at a pawn shop." I figured it would be one or two of my tools, or maybe my digital camera and one of my tools, and at a pawn shop, if he picked the most pawnable of my things he would have gotten maybe as much as a shift or two at McDonnalds would pay with minimal risk of being shot, stabbed, beaten or becoming a resident of the Missouri department of corrections.

        My personal fear is the thousands of dollars worth of damage a burglar might do to my house to steal a hundred dollars or so worth of stuff. Particularly the neighborhood juvenile delinquent class of burglar.

        Avery

      • logan
        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 15, 2009

          ive had tools stolen from my shop once.  45 gallon air compressor, 18v dewalt drill, bosch jigsaw, bosch circular saw.  the guy was caught a few days later when he broke into another home in my neighborhood and there was an old lady home at the time.  she went under her bed and called the police who found him all strung out on drugs.  he confessed to a bunch of break ins, including my home, and told the police which pawn shop he used.  i had been to that very pawn shop the day after he sold all of my tools for $40 (and he claimed "how was i supposed to know they were stolen!") and they told me that i could only look at the stuff on the floor and not in the back.  they claimed they couldnt let me look at the things in the back because they needed to protect the privacy of those that have things on pawn.  they entered the serial numbers of all of my tools into the police database.  who knew the serial number on my dewalt was "t 12345" when clearly it was only "12345"?  needless to say i wanted to choke the pawn shop guy.

          anyway, what i do with anything of value (firearms, computers, tools, pets) is a take pictures of the item and its nameplate (model number and serial number) and upload those to my server.  should i ever have anything stolen again i can quickly print pictures for the police from any location or just give them the url and tell them what they are looking for.

          regards

          logan

          "I never did give them hell. I just told the truth, and they thought it was hell."
          Harry S Truman

          "If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared"
          Niccolo Machiavelli

          www.ebonwoulfe.com
          www.fighterpractice.com

            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 15, 2009

              Actually most states have now switched to a Protection in Domicile, and a NO retreat law. Where if inside your domicile (extended to your vehicle as well) and someone is trying to enter, you have the ability to protect it with deadly force. Like Logan said though, no one wants to shoot anyone, and each situation will need to be evaluated as it happens. No one scenario fits, and it will need to be dealt with accordingly.

              While this is a many faceted discussion, and your security is important, I urge each of you to find some local resources, find out what your laws are, find out what security options are available for you what you are comfortable employing and go from there.

              Now let’s get back to our regularly scheduled program, already in progress.

              (This ends my comments on the matter.)

              Gavin

              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 15, 2009

                It think it’s arson.  I think that, in some jurisdictions, you can shoot arsonists.  I believe that the logic is that because a fire, once started, cannot be controlled, arson is a threat not just to the current property, but to the entire community.

                But I Am Not A Lawyer, so don’t live by this.

                Will

                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 15, 2009

                  How did he get in?  Did you make any changes after the theft?

                  I had the same experience with the local pawn shop, word for word.  I wasn’t allowed to look at the stock that had been pawned for loan, only the stuff that had been sold.  To let me look at the stock in the back would “violate the privacy of the people who had pawned it.”  Eventually I ran down the bum who ripped THAT stuff off, dragged his ass to the Pawnshop, and on HIS word, HIS WORD,  redeemed my stuff.  Yes – I paid to get my own stuff out of pawn.  It was cheaper than replacing it, and didn’t hit my insurance as hard.

                  In retrospect, I should have taken it out of his hide.  He’s the only one I’ve ever caught, and I can’t be sure that he’s not been trying to come back to the shop for another helping.

                  Will

                  >My Guns are stored in a FIRE PROOF GUN VAULT!

                  Sorry, George, I didn't mean to imply anything about you. Just that criminals tend to not to be our best and brightest. I had a burglar walk into my house about a year and a half ago. While we were home! Ultimately, he didn't get anything. (Well, not from me. I'm not sure what the judge gave him.)

                  After it was all said and done I found myself thinking this way. "OK, he was on foot. What of mine could he have carried in his arms that would have gotten him the most at a pawn shop." I figured it would be one or two of my tools, or maybe my digital camera and one of my tools, and at a pawn shop, if he picked the most pawnable of my things he would have gotten maybe as much as a shift or two at McDonnalds would pay with minimal risk of being shot, stabbed, beaten or becoming a resident of the Missouri department of corrections.

                  My personal fear is the thousands of dollars worth of damage a burglar might do to my house to steal a hundred dollars or so worth of stuff. Particularly the neighborhood juvenile delinquent class of burglar.

                  Avery

                • logan

                    >My Guns are stored in a FIRE PROOF GUN VAULT!

                    Sorry, George, I didn't mean to imply anything about you. Just that criminals tend to not to be our best and brightest. I had a burglar walk into my house about a year and a half ago. While we were home! Ultimately, he didn't get anything. (Well, not from me. I'm not sure what the judge gave him.)

                    After it was all said and done I found myself thinking this way. "OK, he was on foot. What of mine could he have carried in his arms that would have gotten him the most at a pawn shop." I figured it would be one or two of my tools, or maybe my digital camera and one of my tools, and at a pawn shop, if he picked the most pawnable of my things he would have gotten maybe as much as a shift or two at McDonnalds would pay with minimal risk of being shot, stabbed, beaten or becoming a resident of the Missouri department of corrections.

                    My personal fear is the thousands of dollars worth of damage a burglar might do to my house to steal a hundred dollars or so worth of stuff. Particularly the neighborhood juvenile delinquent class of burglar.

                    Avery

                  • James Winkler
                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 15, 2009

                      Logan...  if the guy wasn't missing a finger or two and have a few bandaids on his hands there's no way he could have 'known how to use the tools'...  ;-)

                      Chas.

                    • conradh@efn.org
                      Message 10 of 27 , Apr 15, 2009
                        On Wed, April 15, 2009 9:41 am, logan wrote:
                        worst thing is that the pawnshop sold all of
                        > my stuff in a day and when i asked the police investigator if i could have
                        > the profits from those sales (just the profit, let them keep $40 of it so
                        > they dont lose money) i was told that they had established ownership and
                        > that i couldnt receive any money from it. wtf? i thought that was
                        > selling stolen goods, if i did it im sure i would have been in trouble.

                        It's hard to deal with when the police are silent partners.

                        Reginleif
                      • Jim Mauldin
                        Message 11 of 27 , Apr 16, 2009

                          I know very well from experience the frustration, anger, etc. of being robbed. Just after Christmas my Jeep Grand Cherokee, which was parked in the carport next to the house was broken into. Yes, it was locked, but somehow the thugs knew how to disarm the security system, opened the door, and helped themselves to my toolbox, which contained about $2,300 worth of specialty tools, a GPS system, a pair of Nikon binoculars, and a Nikon spotting scope. They even took a pair of sunglasses I had on the dash as well as the registration card for the Jeep. In short, the emptied the Jeep. But to make matters worse, a week later the came back, tried to pry open the front door, and when the couldn’t, simply smashed the windows. There was nothing in there to steal so they just left – with broken glass everywhere.

                          Now I have installed a trail cam, which I use for deer hunting, in a tree close by, but so far all I have captured is a cat walking beside the Jeep.

                          Jim Mauldin

                          Message 12 of 27 , Apr 16, 2009

                            You’re like me:  somebody’s decided you are an ATM to make withdrawals from.  They’re going to keep coming back until you catch them.

                            Will

                            Message 13 of 27 , Apr 16, 2009
                              On Thu, April 16, 2009 7:22 am, Bill McNutt wrote:
                              > You're like me: somebody's decided you are an ATM to make withdrawals
                              > from. They're going to keep coming back until you catch them.
                              >

                              > Will

                            • Lisa Wiser
                              Message 14 of 27 , Apr 22, 2009
                                I'm rather fond of the signs with your dog of choice (mine is a Boxer)
                                that says:

                                I can make it to the fence in 2.8 seconds.

                                Can you?

                                Walking around with a Boxer dog is much like walking around with a gun
                                ... people rarely ask if it's loaded.

                                Lia