Re: [medievalsawdust] SCA A&S Assistance please

  • kjworz@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2003
      Splitting Maul period? Heck, the AXE you are using, chances are, is a 19th C design. But let's assume you have broad-axe, broad-hatchet, and goose-wing axe in hand.

      All period references I have seen split logs with a glut and commander for big stuff, and froe for small things. And these references are late period, though. Does this mean there was no splitting maul equivalent at the time? No. My gut says that the splitting maul is an out-of-period invention.
    • Grooby, Peter
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2003
        > Subject: SCA A&S Assistance please
        >
        > Greetings to the list.
        > I am a beginning SCA woodworker/lumberjack in the kingdom of Ansteorra. currently working on taking a log to a finished project, documenting all the tools and steps as I go.
        > The question I am sending to the list is this. Is the splitting maul period for the SCA and how early/late. I was planning on using this tool to halve the log, but I cannot find much documentation for it.

        Hi,

        I did some research into the origins of the froe a few months ago, a summary of which can be seen here.

        http://www.geocities.com/abs1nth/wood/froedoc.html

        There is not much evidence of froes pre-1600 but a small amount does exist.

        From what I can ascertain their current popularity as an 'historical' tool stems mainly from thier predominant use in the new-world. Although they were known and used in europe, they were much more useful in north america, due to the presence of large old-growth trees with long striaght grain. With the constant cropping of trees over hundreds of years in europe, such straight grained would was not as common (although obviously it still existed)

        Hope that helps

        Vitale

        This electronic message together with any attachments is confidential. If
        you receive it in error: (i) you must not use, disclose, copy or retain
        it; (ii) please contact the sender immediately by reply email and then
        delete the emails. Views expressed in this email may not be those of the
        Airways Corporation of New Zealand Limited
      • marc adkins
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 2003
          Thanks, I will check out the link
          Wilhelm von Winkleried
          > I am a beginning SCA woodworker/lumberjack in the kingdom of Ansteorra. currently working on taking a log to a finished project, documenting all the tools and steps as I go.
          > The question I am sending to the list is this. Is the splitting maul period for the SCA and how early/late. I was planning on using this tool to halve the log, but I cannot find much documentation for it.

                Hi,

                I did some research into the origins of the froe a few months ago, a summary of which can be seen here.

                http://www.geocities.com/abs1nth/wood/froedoc.html

                There is not much evidence of froes pre-1600 but a small amount does exist.

                From what I can ascertain their current popularity as an 'historical' tool stems mainly from thier predominant use in the new-world. Although they were known and used in europe, they were much more useful in north america, due to the presence of large old-growth trees with long striaght grain. With the constant cropping of trees over hundreds of years in europe, such straight grained would was not as common (although obviously it still existed)