SCA A&S Assistance please

  • marc adkins
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2003
      Greetings to the list.
      I am a beginning SCA woodworker/lumberjack in the kingdom of Ansteorra. currently working on taking a log to a finished project, documenting all the tools and steps as I go.
      The question I am sending to the list is this. Is the splitting maul period for the SCA and how early/late. I was planning on using this tool to halve the log, but I cannot find much documentation for it.

      Thanks for your time
      Lord Wilhelm von Winkleried
    • Cockerel Woodworks
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2003

        If you are referring to the maul and froe, you will have no problems at all as most earlier timber was riven. The exact design may be stylistically different from modern versions though.

        Ulfgar

        Cockerel Woodworks

        Medieval and Renaissance fine furniture.

        View our gallery!

        http://merchants-medieval.com/cockerel

      • kjworz@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 2003
          Splitting Maul period? Heck, the AXE you are using, chances are, is a 19th C design. But let's assume you have broad-axe, broad-hatchet, and goose-wing axe in hand.

          All period references I have seen split logs with a glut and commander for big stuff, and froe for small things. And these references are late period, though. Does this mean there was no splitting maul equivalent at the time? No. My gut says that the splitting maul is an out-of-period invention.
        • Grooby, Peter
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 3, 2003
            > Subject: SCA A&S Assistance please
            >
            > Greetings to the list.
            > I am a beginning SCA woodworker/lumberjack in the kingdom of Ansteorra. currently working on taking a log to a finished project, documenting all the tools and steps as I go.
            > The question I am sending to the list is this. Is the splitting maul period for the SCA and how early/late. I was planning on using this tool to halve the log, but I cannot find much documentation for it.

            Hi,

            I did some research into the origins of the froe a few months ago, a summary of which can be seen here.

            http://www.geocities.com/abs1nth/wood/froedoc.html

            There is not much evidence of froes pre-1600 but a small amount does exist.

            From what I can ascertain their current popularity as an 'historical' tool stems mainly from thier predominant use in the new-world. Although they were known and used in europe, they were much more useful in north america, due to the presence of large old-growth trees with long striaght grain. With the constant cropping of trees over hundreds of years in europe, such straight grained would was not as common (although obviously it still existed)

            Hope that helps

            Vitale

            This electronic message together with any attachments is confidential. If
            you receive it in error: (i) you must not use, disclose, copy or retain
            it; (ii) please contact the sender immediately by reply email and then
            delete the emails. Views expressed in this email may not be those of the
            Airways Corporation of New Zealand Limited
          • marc adkins
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 3, 2003
              Thanks, I will check out the link
              Wilhelm von Winkleried
              > I am a beginning SCA woodworker/lumberjack in the kingdom of Ansteorra. currently working on taking a log to a finished project, documenting all the tools and steps as I go.
              > The question I am sending to the list is this. Is the splitting maul period for the SCA and how early/late. I was planning on using this tool to halve the log, but I cannot find much documentation for it.

                    Hi,

                    I did some research into the origins of the froe a few months ago, a summary of which can be seen here.

                    http://www.geocities.com/abs1nth/wood/froedoc.html

                    There is not much evidence of froes pre-1600 but a small amount does exist.

                    From what I can ascertain their current popularity as an 'historical' tool stems mainly from thier predominant use in the new-world. Although they were known and used in europe, they were much more useful in north america, due to the presence of large old-growth trees with long striaght grain. With the constant cropping of trees over hundreds of years in europe, such straight grained would was not as common (although obviously it still existed)