Re: [MedievalSawdust] info on a picture

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 10, 2009
      can you share the pictures?!?

      thanks!

      From: Beth and Bob Matney <bmatney@...>
      To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, April 10, 2009 10:59:35 AM
      Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] info on a picture

      We took several photos of this on a visit to
      Stockholm in 2006. The sides and back have lovely
      carvings. It is in the Swedish Historical Museum
      in the Medieval section. The card read "Pew
      - Kungsåra Church, Västmanland. 12th century".

      Beth

      At 08:49 AM 4/10/2009, you wrote:

      >Does anyone have any info on this?
      >
      ><http://s147. photobucket. com/albums/ r295/ConalOhAirt /Chair%20picture s/?action= view&current= d4f2-1.jpg>Possible
      >'Viking" bench
      >
      >I've had the photo saved, but I saved it long ago before
      >I got in habit of taking better notes.
      >
      >When, where, where it is now..... that kinda stuff.
      >
      >Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart

    • Beth and Bob Matney
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 10, 2009
        Selections of these were uploaded in Feb. 2007 but were taken down. I
        can re-upload if needed. Since we (my husband) did quite a bit of
        photography of objects of Denmark, Sweden and Norway, it created a
        bit of a stir and CDRs of the trip were distributed.. and a couple of
        sets were even hosted on the web. see below:
        Master Will's set (reduced in
        size) http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood/research/index.htm
        Morgan's set of full size images are zipped in sections for download.
        http://www.morganmacleod.com/library.htm

        BTW we are going back to Denmark later this year... and we have a new
        camera since then (12.8 MPixel Canon). This is of higher resolution
        and does better with the peculiar lighting of the museums.

        Beth

        At 10:39 AM 4/10/2009, you wrote:
        >can you share the pictures?!?
        >
        >thanks!
        >Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
      • Dan Baker
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 25, 2009
          Hey Conal this is what I have on that bench you were asking about.  It is listed in "The History of Medieval Furniture" by John Morley page 48.  A nice picture of the back and this is the text.

          72. A viking bench from Kungsara church in Vastmanland, Scandinavia. c 1100

          Also this paragraph...

          The character of viking furniture is shown by a Scandinavian bench of about 1100; it has a pair of superbly winged and knotted monsters, of which the wings show the strong tendency to abstraction that is characteristic of the barbarian art.  Monsters heads decorate the back, the sweeping curve of which recalls viking ships.  The bench is held together with mortise and tenon joints and exhibits the same degree of sophistication as contemporary illuminated manuscripts.

          If you need the picture of the back I can scan it and email it to you.  There is also a chair of the same era shown.

          -Rhys

          On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 11:13 AM, Dan Baker <lordrhys@...> wrote:
          well, in two weeks I will be home and can give you details, I even know what book to look in.  I just can't tell ya the name off the top of my head.  But there is 2 views of that bench.  I will send it in a couple weeks

          -Rhys

          On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 9:49 AM, Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@...> wrote:

          Does anyone have any info on this?

          Possible 'Viking" bench

          I've had the photo saved, but I saved it long ago before
          I got in habit of taking better notes.

          When, where, where it is now..... that kinda stuff.

          --