Re: [MedievalSawdust] info on a picture

  • Beth and Bob Matney
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 10, 2009
      We took several photos of this on a visit to
      Stockholm in 2006. The sides and back have lovely
      carvings. It is in the Swedish Historical Museum
      in the Medieval section. The card read "Pew
      - Kungsåra Church, Västmanland. 12th century".

      Beth

      At 08:49 AM 4/10/2009, you wrote:
      >Does anyone have any info on this?
      >
      ><http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r295/ConalOhAirt/Chair%20pictures/?action=view¤t=d4f2-1.jpg>Possible
      >'Viking" bench
      >
      >I've had the photo saved, but I saved it long ago before
      >I got in habit of taking better notes.
      >
      >When, where, where it is now..... that kinda stuff.
      >
      >Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
    • Dan Baker
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 10, 2009
        well, in two weeks I will be home and can give you details, I even know what book to look in.  I just can't tell ya the name off the top of my head.  But there is 2 views of that bench.  I will send it in a couple weeks

        -Rhys

        On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 9:49 AM, Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@...> wrote:

        Does anyone have any info on this?

        Possible 'Viking" bench

        I've had the photo saved, but I saved it long ago before
        I got in habit of taking better notes.

        When, where, where it is now..... that kinda stuff.

        ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::>
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 10, 2009
          can you share the pictures?!?

          thanks!

          At 08:49 AM 4/10/2009, you wrote:

          >Does anyone have any info on this?
          >
          ><http://s147. photobucket. com/albums/ r295/ConalOhAirt /Chair%20picture s/?action= view&current= d4f2-1.jpg>Possible
          >'Viking" bench
          >
          >I've had the photo saved, but I saved it long ago before
          >I got in habit of taking better notes.
          >
          >When, where, where it is now..... that kinda stuff.
          >
          >Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart

        • Beth and Bob Matney
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 10, 2009
            Selections of these were uploaded in Feb. 2007 but were taken down. I
            can re-upload if needed. Since we (my husband) did quite a bit of
            photography of objects of Denmark, Sweden and Norway, it created a
            bit of a stir and CDRs of the trip were distributed.. and a couple of
            sets were even hosted on the web. see below:
            Master Will's set (reduced in
            size) http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood/research/index.htm
            Morgan's set of full size images are zipped in sections for download.
            http://www.morganmacleod.com/library.htm

            BTW we are going back to Denmark later this year... and we have a new
            camera since then (12.8 MPixel Canon). This is of higher resolution
            and does better with the peculiar lighting of the museums.

            Beth

            At 10:39 AM 4/10/2009, you wrote:
            >can you share the pictures?!?
            >
            >thanks!
            >Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
          • Dan Baker
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 25, 2009
              Hey Conal this is what I have on that bench you were asking about.  It is listed in "The History of Medieval Furniture" by John Morley page 48.  A nice picture of the back and this is the text.

              72. A viking bench from Kungsara church in Vastmanland, Scandinavia. c 1100

              Also this paragraph...

              The character of viking furniture is shown by a Scandinavian bench of about 1100; it has a pair of superbly winged and knotted monsters, of which the wings show the strong tendency to abstraction that is characteristic of the barbarian art.  Monsters heads decorate the back, the sweeping curve of which recalls viking ships.  The bench is held together with mortise and tenon joints and exhibits the same degree of sophistication as contemporary illuminated manuscripts.

              If you need the picture of the back I can scan it and email it to you.  There is also a chair of the same era shown.

              -Rhys

              --