Re: [MedievalSawdust] Check this out!

  • Dave Ordway
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 1 5:22 PM
      I kinda' get a level of satisfaction from marking and cutting my dovetails one at a time.  This just seems wrong and if it truly works it would take away from my satisfaction of working the wood.  If I wanted to produce mass dovetails, why not do it with a jig and router.

      Lagerstein

      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 1 5:24 PM
        And what is ron with a left handed spanner?

        A life long lefty

        Iain Griffen

      • conradh@efn.org
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 1 7:45 PM
          Ulfhedinn's partner Reginleif here:

          I should get ahold of Lee Valley. I have just the thing for them for April
          1st next year. Something Ulfhedinn and I actually stock in our
          blacksmithing business. It's an efficiency screwdriver. Shaped in a U with
          a single handle extending below the base of the U, one arm of the U is a
          straight blade screwdriver, and the other arm is a phillips head. You can
          do two screws at once!

          We've sold several to women who said, "*Here's* a tool he doesn't have!"
          and they go away with a suspicious sparkle in their eyes.

          Reginleif the Unruly

          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 1 8:45 PM
            now that the day is almost over... try adding the saw to your shopping cart

            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 1 8:50 PM
              so it's more of a Y shape?

              hehe..  sorry.... funny maybe I need to get one....

              I should get ahold of Lee Valley. I have just the thing for them for April
              1st next year. Something Ulfhedinn and I actually stock in our
              blacksmithing business. It's an efficiency screwdriver. Shaped in a U with
              a single handle extending below the base of the U, one arm of the U is a
              straight blade screwdriver, and the other arm is a phillips head. You can
              do two screws at once!

              We've sold several to women who said, "*Here's* a tool he doesn't have!"
              and they go away with a suspicious sparkle in their eyes.

              Reginleif the Unruly

              On Wed, April 1, 2009 9:05 am, AlbionWood wrote:

              > That was my first thought, too: "Hurray, I can ruin dovetails three
              > times as fast!"
              >
              > Gotta love Lee Valley for going to all the trouble to put that together
              > just for one day. Wonder how many orders they'll get?
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Colin
              >

              > Wolf wrote: Posted on behalf of my wife: "Oh gawd, don't encourage
              > him!" (I'm a bit of a gadget-freak - but in my case it'd probably be
              > more along the lines of "Look Honey, I can mess up three dove-tails at
              > once!) Wolf

            • Royce
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 1 9:24 PM

                I gotta say… I really like the idea of this item though…

                http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=53927&cat=1,43413,45992

                I think it could double as an armor piece as well..

                Bercilak

              • Jose Leodefrediz
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 1 9:32 PM
                  1st impression...really cool!
                  2nd impression...why does he have two planes? and why is the one hanging where it is?
                  final thought...I hope he's wearing a cup!
                  ;)

                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 2 9:12 AM
                    It'll be fun to see him work around steel wall studs.
                  • Alex Haugland
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 4 11:11 PM
                      The most disturbing thing to me is that either someone is very good with photoshop, or the guys at Lee Valley actually mocked up some or all of these "products"... I certainly wouldn't put it past them!

                      --Alysaundre Weldon d'Ath
                      Barony of Adiantum, An Tir

                      Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart wrote:
                      WOW this is really kinda cool!

                      http://www.leevalle y.com/wood/ page.aspx? p=62708&c=2

                    • Kel Rekuta
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 5 8:33 AM
                        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Alex Haugland <ahauglan@...> wrote:

                        > The most disturbing thing to me is that either someone is very good with
                        > photoshop, or the guys at Lee Valley actually mocked up some or all of
                        > these "products"... I certainly wouldn't put it past them!
                        >
                        > --Alysaundre Weldon d'Ath
                        > Barony of Adiantum, An Tir

                        I know one of the R&D guys at LV in Ottawa. They are very creative folks with a fair bit of time on their hands. Mr. Lee wants them to think outside the box. They really do.

                        I'm always amused when my tool p0rn catalogue arrives each month. Eeevil Lee Valley... ;-)
                      • James Winkler
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 5 9:25 AM

                          A finely detailed picture… ummm… anybody see any teeth on the saws??

                          Chas.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 5 11:35 PM
                            Reginleif here. I wrote to Lee Valley about their All Fools Day offerings,
                            and this is what I gather:

                            The latest AFD was suggested by a customer
                            They actually have built each of the 6 (?) I think it is now, AFD offerings.
                            The development crew is a composite of Lee Valley and Veritas people
                            (maybe it's all the same and Lee Valley just builds tools under the
                            Veritas name rather than calling them Lee Valley....)
                            They seem to have a lot of fun doing this. (And who wouldn't? A fully
                            detailed spoof is so much fun to do, and they are getting paid to do it.
                            That's like getting paid for panhandling!)

                            So now I have to wait--hmm--about 360 days to see the next one.

                          • avery1415@sbcglobal.net
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 7 4:51 AM
                              Can someone explain to me what makes this an April fools joke and the Stanley #55 a highly sought collectors item?

                              Avery
                            • conradh@efn.org
                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 7 7:26 PM
                                Um, well...That *is* a good question. On the other hand, I think they
                                could sell a few of these, if they had made more than one in the first
                                place. (Just think, something that none of your friends have....)

                                Reginleif

                              • barondevin@comcast.net
                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 10 5:11 PM
                                  > Can someone explain to me what makes this an April fools joke and the Stanley #55
                                  > a highly sought collectors item?

                                  This one's not going into production, and approximately the same number of people originally wanted one?

                                  Devin

                                  "The mass of Men lead lives of quiet desperation because some fool poet has borrowed their tools." R. Underhill (para.)