Re: [medievalsawdust] looking for...

  • B.S.R.Lee
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 21, 2003
      Actually you DO have a medieval Xerox. It's called a cartoon, from carton -
      a type of thick, stiff paper. The illuminator made an outline of the figure
      or design on velum/paper/cardboard/carton, then punched a series of very
      small holes using a needle or bodkin. The design was then placed on the
      part of the page where the finished item was to go, and a fine powder was
      rubbed onto the cartoon. The cartoon was removed & the dots joined up. The
      powder was usually charcoal, but burnt oyster shell was also used on
      coloured pages. That Mick Angelo fellow even used them when painting the
      Sistine Chapel.

      It is also a method used to copy a standard carving design to stone or wood
      (so its on topic again)

      regards
      Brusi