Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: New table saw

  • AlbionWood
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 2, 2009
      Just figure out what's causing the hot smell and fix that.  It could be as simple as the blade having pitch built up on it, causing scorching... or causing the motor to work harder to cut, giving off a hot-motor smell... or it could be a slipping belt.  I'd start by cleaning the blade and replacing the belt - might fix the whole problem!  If it doesn't then about the only thing left would be the motor, and you could probably replace that for a lot less than the cost of a new saw.

      Cheers,
      Tim

      Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart wrote:
      unfortunately price is the major factor right now

    • avery1415@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 3, 2009
        So, uh, why not just replace the motor if it comes to that?

        My dad replaced the motor in his antique craftsman with something that would have looked more at home on the wing of a B-17 back when I was about 12. As far as I know it still runs today.

        I mean if money is tight and you're just looking for a temporary replacement, find a washing machine that's taken to leaking and swipe it's motor.

        Avery