Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: New table saw

    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 2, 2009
      gonna go look at this tomorrow...

      http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/tls/1054908744.html

      From: Robin Gallowglass <robin@...>
      To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, March 2, 2009 8:46:01 PM
      Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: New table saw

      On Monday, March 2, 2009 20:26:46 Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart wrote:
      > unfortunately price is the major factor right now
      > even if I will have to upgrade again later.... I was
      > planning on upgrading but not just yet....
      >
      > ( maybe I could keep a dado on the cheaper saw
      > later ...hmmmm )
      >
      > I'm gonna try cleaning but I wanted to start the ball
      > rolling on getting opinions now just in case that doesn't
      > work....

      I second checking Craig's List. That's where I got my old Rockwell 10" Belt
      Drive contractors saw for $300.

      > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart

      Robin

    • AlbionWood
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 2, 2009
        Just figure out what's causing the hot smell and fix that.  It could be as simple as the blade having pitch built up on it, causing scorching... or causing the motor to work harder to cut, giving off a hot-motor smell... or it could be a slipping belt.  I'd start by cleaning the blade and replacing the belt - might fix the whole problem!  If it doesn't then about the only thing left would be the motor, and you could probably replace that for a lot less than the cost of a new saw.

        Cheers,
        Tim

      • avery1415@sbcglobal.net
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 3, 2009
          So, uh, why not just replace the motor if it comes to that?

          My dad replaced the motor in his antique craftsman with something that would have looked more at home on the wing of a B-17 back when I was about 12. As far as I know it still runs today.

          I mean if money is tight and you're just looking for a temporary replacement, find a washing machine that's taken to leaking and swipe it's motor.

          Avery