New table saw

    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 2, 2009
      Im getting a hot smell from my table saw and
      have some projects that I have to have a table saw
      to complete

      Cash is a little tight right now or  I'd be looking for a
      higer end saw

      Anyone have opinions on this Jet saw?

      http://tinyurl.com/jettablesaw

    • Chuck Phillips
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 2, 2009

        My past impressions of the low end Jet saws have not been overwhelming, having a rather plasticy feel.  With that said, at this price point, that’s about the best you can hope for.  Used with care and an awareness of the limitations of the tool, you can do some fine work on something like this.

        It sound like your current saw just needs a good cleaning and tuneup.  Particularly if it is of somewhat higher quality than the Jet, I’d spend an afternoon/evening digging all the accumulated crud out, checking the belt(s), and making sure everything lines up correctly.

        Charles Joiner

        Caid

        Former Rockler employee, too

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 2, 2009
          Ditto. Maybe just a new/sharp blade to reduce the load on the motor.
          You can also find reconditioned blades for pretty low prices. Also
          consider a thin kerf blade. There's an article in fine woodworking
          this month discussing bennies of thin kerfs.

          Also ditto on Jets. They seem a decent value for the money. I worked
          for years with a comperable grade of low-priced portable contractor
          saw, but it was under-powered for cutting hardwoods of a thickness I
          needed, and the fence was imprecise - limiting what I could do with
          it and productivity. (and also kick-back prone - wanna see my scar?)
          Tablesaws are generally considered the centerpiece of the power-tool
          workshop and the last thing you want to skimp on.

          Maybe if you keep an eye on places like craigslist or the local paper
          classified, you can get a heavier used saw for a reasonable price that
          you could upgrade later with things like an improved fence. It seems
          like more tools have been available lately as people are likewise cash
          strapped and getting rid of stuff.

          Jeff J./ Geoffrey Bourre'

          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Phillips" <chuck@...>
          wrote:

          > My past impressions of the low end Jet saws have not been overwhelming,
          > having a rather plasticy feel. With that said, at this price point,
          > that's about the best you can hope for. Used with care and an awareness
          > of the limitations of the tool, you can do some fine work on something
          > like this.
          >

          > It sound like your current saw just needs a good cleaning and tuneup.
          > Particularly if it is of somewhat higher quality than the Jet, I'd spend
          > an afternoon/evening digging all the accumulated crud out, checking the
          > belt(s), and making sure everything lines up correctly.
          >

          > Charles Joiner
          >
          > Caid
          >
          > Former Rockler employee, too

        • Bobby Bourgoin (Robert du Bourg)
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 2, 2009

            I agree spend a little time cleaning every little nook and cranny (especially the motor) a good air compressor with tight nozzle works wonders…  A little Lube (non-greasy non-sticky… Jigga-lube type to prevent dust sticking) on rotating parts (keep away from motor).

            Make sure all belts are fully aligned, and you should get more good years of service from your saw…

            Robert du Bourg

            Sénéchal du Havre des Glaces

            Homme d’Arme de Lord Marek O’Brien

            _________________________________

            bobby.bourgoin@...

            Bobby Bourgoin

            _________________________________

            I just hang on, and suffer well

            Sometimes it’s hard,,, so hard to tell.

            I fear neither, death nor pain.

            What do I fear?  A cage.

            To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them.

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 2, 2009
              I own this saw
              http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=835634&FamilyID=63430
              can't say enough good things about it.... yeah it is more pricey but
              well worth every dime....

              Hrolfr

              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Bobby Bourgoin \(Robert du

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 2, 2009
                unfortunately price is the major factor right now
                even if I will have to upgrade again later..... I was
                planning on upgrading but not just yet....

                ( maybe I could keep a dado on the cheaper saw
                later ...hmmmm )

                I'm gonna try cleaning but I wanted to start the ball
                rolling on getting opinions now just in case that doesn't
                work....

                Bourg\)" <bobby.bourgoin@ ...> wrote:

                > I agree spend a little time cleaning every little nook and cranny
                > (especially the motor) a good air compressor with tight nozzle works
                > wonders… A little Lube (non-greasy non-sticky… Jigga-lube type to
                prevent
                > dust sticking) on rotating parts (keep away from motor).
                >
                > Make sure all belts are fully aligned, and you should get more good
                years of
                > service from your saw…
                >

                > Robert du Bourg
                >
                > Sénéchal du Havre des Glaces
                >
                > Homme d'Arme de Lord Marek O'Brien
                >
                > ____________ _________ _________ ___
                >
                > <mailto:bobby. bourgoin@ ...> bobby.bourgoin@ ...
                >
                > Bobby Bourgoin
                >
                > ____________ _________ _________ ___
                >
                > I just hang on, and suffer well
                >
                > Sometimes it's hard,,, so hard to tell.
                >

                > I fear neither, death nor pain.
                >
                > What do I fear? A cage.
                >
                > To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them.
                >

                > _____

              • Robin Gallowglass
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 2, 2009
                  On Monday, March 2, 2009 20:26:46 Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart wrote:
                  > unfortunately price is the major factor right now
                  > even if I will have to upgrade again later.... I was
                  > planning on upgrading but not just yet....
                  >
                  > ( maybe I could keep a dado on the cheaper saw
                  > later ...hmmmm )
                  >
                  > I'm gonna try cleaning but I wanted to start the ball
                  > rolling on getting opinions now just in case that doesn't
                  > work....

                  I second checking Craig's List. That's where I got my old Rockwell 10" Belt
                  Drive contractors saw for $300.

                  > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart

                  Robin
                • Wolf
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 2, 2009
                    If I hadn't had to spend $200 on a pair of tires......

                    It certainly looks better than my Hirsh table w/a circular saw bolted up
                    underneath it!

                    (Yeah, I know - be vewwy, vewwy caiw-ful!)

                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 2, 2009
                      gonna go look at this tomorrow...

                      http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/tls/1054908744.html

                      On Monday, March 2, 2009 20:26:46 Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart wrote:
                      > unfortunately price is the major factor right now
                      > even if I will have to upgrade again later.... I was
                      > planning on upgrading but not just yet....
                      >
                      > ( maybe I could keep a dado on the cheaper saw
                      > later ...hmmmm )
                      >
                      > I'm gonna try cleaning but I wanted to start the ball
                      > rolling on getting opinions now just in case that doesn't
                      > work....

                      I second checking Craig's List. That's where I got my old Rockwell 10" Belt
                      Drive contractors saw for $300.

                      > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart

                      Robin

                    • AlbionWood
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 2, 2009
                        Just figure out what's causing the hot smell and fix that.  It could be as simple as the blade having pitch built up on it, causing scorching... or causing the motor to work harder to cut, giving off a hot-motor smell... or it could be a slipping belt.  I'd start by cleaning the blade and replacing the belt - might fix the whole problem!  If it doesn't then about the only thing left would be the motor, and you could probably replace that for a lot less than the cost of a new saw.

                        Cheers,
                        Tim

                      • avery1415@sbcglobal.net
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 3, 2009
                          So, uh, why not just replace the motor if it comes to that?

                          My dad replaced the motor in his antique craftsman with something that would have looked more at home on the wing of a B-17 back when I was about 12. As far as I know it still runs today.

                          I mean if money is tight and you're just looking for a temporary replacement, find a washing machine that's taken to leaking and swipe it's motor.

                          Avery