Re: [MedievalSawdust] more info on dining table request

  • Alex Haugland
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 20 10:28 AM
      Honestly, that sounds like an absolutely massively overbuilt table, likely to weigh in at noticably more than 400 pounds.  Based off of the density of oak at somewhere around 0.4 oz per cubic inch, the top alone would weigh in at around 370 lbs, without legs.  assuming 30" height, 4 6x6 legs would add another 108 pounds to the weight.

      For as long as the table plan is and how thick the top is, a sawhorse-like trestle structure would be probably be the easiest to set up and take down.   A stretcher-based trestle table would be the next most likely, at least for a dining table. There are several work tables that could also be used as models, which might be of simpler construction.  The best source that I can think of with period images would be to look at something like De Re Metallica (a medieval treatise on mining, reprinted by Dover, full of woodcuts of machinery, tools, workbenches, tables, wheelbarrows, etc).

      --Alysaundre Weldon d'Ath
      Barony of Adiantum, An Tir

      Duncan Hepburn wrote:

      Thanks so much for answering my question, and for asking for
      clarification. I knew it was a broad question I was asking, and I
      appreciate your patience as I get a better answer for you.

      Here is what was gleaned today from the individual:

      "I'll be building mine from 2"X16"X11' solid oak with 6"X6" one piece
      legs. The final piece will be approximately 2"X54"X11'. It will
      weigh about 400 lbs. So you get the idea of what kind of table I'm
      looking to build. Probably chip carve the top and it will be shown at
      exactly 1 A&S event. It will be a beast of a table. And BTW, total
      wood cost will be about $150."

      So I know it'll be oak, and the approximate dimensions.
      Given the weight, I don't think he intends it to be portable, but
      wants something with enough documentation that it can be displayed in
      an A&S competition. I don't think he has a period in mind. More like
      he has the wood, has the desire to make a table, and other than that
      is open as far as design goes. The gentleman is an accomplished
      luthier, so I know he has quite a few woodworking tools and techniques
      at his disposal.

      Thanks again,

      Duncan
      Ansteorra