Sewing tote

  • Jim Engebretson
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 16, 2009
      Is there such a thing as a wooden, medieval sewing tote?
    • Coblaith Muimnech
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 16, 2009
        Jim Engebretson wrote:
        > Is there such a thing as a wooden, medieval sewing tote?

        I don't know of any surviving medieval boxes known to have been
        specifically made for sewing. But Christian de Holacombe and Michaela
        de Neuville's article, "A Period
        Workbox"<http://www.bayrose.org/wkneedle/Articles/period_workbox.html>,
        includes a couple of 16th- and 17th-century images of sewing boxes of
        different types and makes reference to additional images (perhaps
        earlier; they don't say) showing bentwood boxes in use by people who
        are sewing or doing other types of hand work.

        Coblaith Muimnech
        <mailto:Coblaith@...>
      • julian wilson
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 16, 2009

          --- On Mon, 16/2/09, Coblaith Muimnech <Coblaith@...> wrote:

          I don't know of any surviving medieval boxes known to have been
          specifically made for sewing. But Christian de Holacombe and Michaela
          de Neuville's article, "A Period Workbox"
          <http://www.bayrose. org/wkneedle/ Articles/ period_workbox. html>,

          includes a couple of 16th- and 17th-century images of sewing boxes of
          different types and makes reference to additional images (perhaps
          earlier; they don't say) showing bentwood boxes in use by people who
          are sewing or doing other types of hand work.

          COMMENT,
          My Lord Coblaith,
          thank you for posting that link. It's just the kind of data I've been seeking for my Lady - and I wouldn't have known where to look, being very new in the Society, and isolated from the nearest Shire anyway by more than 70 miles of English Channel.

          Yours gratefully,
          Matthew Baker,
          Hospitaller for West Dragonshire.