Flemish 3 cornered chairs

  • cedricofthanet
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 15, 2009
      I'm interested in the Flemish 3-cornered chairs, the type you see in
      some of Bruegel's work. The general concept seems simple enough but
      the backrest has me scratching my head a bit. Has anyone seen a
      detail of how the curved rest was connected to the back post? Also
      curious is anyone can confirm the curved back piece was cut out of a
      larger stock or if it may have been steam bent.

      Thanks,

      Cedric
    • jtstewart@westnet.com.au
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 16, 2009

        Hi there.

        Do these websites help?

        http://www.sacoriver.net/~freegate/3%20leg%20chairs.html

        http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Articles/chair_article/A%20Period%20Chair.htm

        Cheers

        John

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 16, 2009
          Tom Rettie is the authority on these.  He has a nice article in the latest Tournaments Illuminated, and also discusses them in detail on his Website:
          http://www.bloodandsawdust.com/sca/turnedstools.html

          Cheers,
          Tim
          (Colin deBray)

          cedricofthanet wrote:
          I'm interested in the Flemish 3-cornered chairs, the type you see in
          some of Bruegel's work.  The general concept seems simple enough but
          the backrest has me scratching my head a bit.  Has anyone seen a
          detail of how the curved rest was connected to the back post?  Also
          curious is anyone can confirm the curved back piece was cut out of a
          larger stock or if it may have been steam bent.

          Thanks,

          Cedric

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              mailto:medievalsawdust-digest@yahoogroups.com
              mailto:medievalsawdust-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • barondevin@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 29, 2009
            Well, a carving of one, anyway.
            Found this on another group I read:

            http://worldimages.sjsu.edu/VieO3210?sid=367&x=88214

            The caption says "Misericord, Detail, French Gothic c. 1500"

            Devin

            "The mass of Men lead lives of quiet desperation because some fool poet has borrowed their tools." R. Underhill (para.)