Re: Hello from latest member of list

  • avery1415@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 9 4:09 AM
      >Some time back I was reading a piece on early period turning, where
      >the author was working from midden and such finds. She remarked the
      >turners must be been highly skilled, due to the lack for spoiled items
      >found.

      This must be the same person who decided that despite the fact that our honourable ancestors' houses, fires and many of their tools were made from wood, all artifact axes on e-bay need the adjective "battle" or should be described as having belonged to a knight.

      Avery
    • Charles (Arnold) Mallett
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 9 7:30 AM
        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James Winkler"
        <jrwinkler@...> wrote:

        > Ah. yes Charles. but you TOLD about "Eostrebunni". and dude.
        that's just
        > funny. but yea'. the fire is oft composed of experiments gone
        awry, the
        > heat of a good debate, theories burning up on re-entry, warm friendships
        > and. stuff. but rarely flames. . and if one runs out of 'less than
        > successful' projects by which to warm oneself. there is always the
        scrap and
        > sawdust of the well turned out product.
        >
        > Chas.

        It's just that I hate using bloodwood, rosewood, purpleheart, ebony
        and such just for warmth.
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 9 9:58 AM

          Yeah – no matter how badly executed my pieces are, they still have one good use: heating the house.

          Will

          > Fire? You mean that I'm not the only one who has found a useful
          > purpose for my various mistakes?

          Hardly!!

          Some time back I was reading a piece on early period turning, where
          the author was working from midden and such finds. She remarked the
          turners must be been highly skilled, due to the lack for spoiled items
          found.

          I laughed, as I know what I do with my spoiled pieces... into the
          barrel, then to the wood-box, then to the wood stove.

          I'm obviously highly skilled (NOT)

          Ralg
          AnTir