RE: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Hello from latest member of list

  • James Winkler
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 8, 2009

      Ah…  yes Charles… but you TOLD about “Eostrebunni”…  and dude… that’s just funny…   but yea’…  the fire is oft composed of experiments gone awry, the heat of a good debate, theories burning up on re-entry, warm friendships and… stuff…  but rarely flames…     … and if one runs out of ‘less than successful’ projects by which to warm oneself… there is always the scrap and sawdust of the well turned out product…

      Chas.

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 8, 2009
        I notice Mssr. Oakley has politely avoided mentioning the bonfire of my
        chest with hand-cut dove-tails (my first attempt at doing them)!

        To be honest, the tongue-and-groove joinery isn't bad. And it's
        certainly functional - it rides rather nicely in the back of my coach
        d'Isuzu! It doesn't look "that" bad, I suppose, although those
        dove-tails are just plain fugly!

        Wolf

        On Sun, 2009-02-08 at 14:30 -0600, James Winkler wrote:
        > Ah… yes Charles… but you TOLD about “Eostrebunni”… and dude… that’s
        > just funny… but yea’… the fire is oft composed of experiments gone
        > awry, the heat of a good debate, theories burning up on re-entry, warm
        > friendships and… stuff… but rarely flames… … and if one runs out
        > of ‘less than successful’ projects by which to warm oneself… there is
        > always the scrap and sawdust of the well turned out product…
        >

        > Chas.

      • Ralph Lindberg
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 8, 2009
          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Charles (Arnold) Mallett"
          <eostrebunniturnswood@...> wrote:

          > Greetings to all from Lord Charles d'Arnaud (SCA) aka Thelonious
          > Hieronymous Erasmus Eostrebunni (Ren Faires). Have been a wood turner
          > for just a couple of years and work mostly with local woods, much of
          > it recycled furniture pieces.
          >
          > Haven't worked on a historic lathe, still stuck in the present with a
          > Oneway 2436.

          Greetings, that's one impressive lathe!!!

          Ralg (Nova-DVR, Jet 1014 and a treadle under design)
          AnTir
        • Ralph Lindberg
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 8, 2009
            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Charles (Arnold) Mallett"
            <eostrebunniturnswood@...> wrote:

            > Fire? You mean that I'm not the only one who has found a useful
            > purpose for my various mistakes?

            Hardly!!

            Some time back I was reading a piece on early period turning, where
            the author was working from midden and such finds. She remarked the
            turners must be been highly skilled, due to the lack for spoiled items
            found.

            I laughed, as I know what I do with my spoiled pieces... into the
            barrel, then to the wood-box, then to the wood stove.

            I'm obviously highly skilled (NOT)

            Ralg
            AnTir
          • avery1415@sbcglobal.net
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 9, 2009
              >Some time back I was reading a piece on early period turning, where
              >the author was working from midden and such finds. She remarked the
              >turners must be been highly skilled, due to the lack for spoiled items
              >found.

              This must be the same person who decided that despite the fact that our honourable ancestors' houses, fires and many of their tools were made from wood, all artifact axes on e-bay need the adjective "battle" or should be described as having belonged to a knight.

              Avery
            • Charles (Arnold) Mallett
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 9, 2009
                <jrwinkler@...> wrote:

                > Ah. yes Charles. but you TOLD about "Eostrebunni". and dude.
                that's just
                > funny. but yea'. the fire is oft composed of experiments gone
                awry, the
                > heat of a good debate, theories burning up on re-entry, warm friendships
                > and. stuff. but rarely flames. . and if one runs out of 'less than
                > successful' projects by which to warm oneself. there is always the
                scrap and
                > sawdust of the well turned out product.
                >
                > Chas.

                It's just that I hate using bloodwood, rosewood, purpleheart, ebony
                and such just for warmth.
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 9, 2009

                  Yeah – no matter how badly executed my pieces are, they still have one good use: heating the house.

                  Will