Re: Hello from latest member of list

  • Charles (Arnold) Mallett
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 8, 2009
      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, James Winkler <jrwinkler@...>
      wrote:

      > "Eostrebunni"... ouch... please don't tell me ya' wear floppy
      ears... ;-)

      > Welcome... pull up a chair... enjoy the fire... make yer'self ta'
      home...

      > Chas. Oakley

      Fire? You mean that I'm not the only one who has found a useful
      purpose for my various mistakes?
    • Charles (Arnold) Mallett
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 8, 2009
        wrote:

        > "Eostrebunni"... ouch... please don't tell me ya' wear floppy
        ears... ;-)

        > Welcome... pull up a chair... enjoy the fire... make yer'self ta'
        home...

        > Chas. Oakley

        BTW, T.H.E. Eostrebunni is my Ren Faire persona. I also belong to the
        SCA and am known there, and to Marklanders as well, as Charles d'Arnaud.
      • James Winkler
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 8, 2009

          Ah…  yes Charles… but you TOLD about “Eostrebunni”…  and dude… that’s just funny…   but yea’…  the fire is oft composed of experiments gone awry, the heat of a good debate, theories burning up on re-entry, warm friendships and… stuff…  but rarely flames…     … and if one runs out of ‘less than successful’ projects by which to warm oneself… there is always the scrap and sawdust of the well turned out product…

          Chas.

          > "Eostrebunni"... ouch... please don't tell me ya' wear floppy
          ears... ;-)

          > Welcome... pull up a chair... enjoy the fire... make yer'self ta'
          home...

          > Chas. Oakley

          BTW, T.H.E. Eostrebunni is my Ren Faire persona. I also belong to the
          SCA and am known there, and to Marklanders as well, as Charles d'Arnaud.

        • Wolf
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 8, 2009
            I notice Mssr. Oakley has politely avoided mentioning the bonfire of my
            chest with hand-cut dove-tails (my first attempt at doing them)!

            To be honest, the tongue-and-groove joinery isn't bad. And it's
            certainly functional - it rides rather nicely in the back of my coach
            d'Isuzu! It doesn't look "that" bad, I suppose, although those
            dove-tails are just plain fugly!

            Wolf

            On Sun, 2009-02-08 at 14:30 -0600, James Winkler wrote:
            > Ah… yes Charles… but you TOLD about “Eostrebunni”… and dude… that’s
            > just funny… but yea’… the fire is oft composed of experiments gone
            > awry, the heat of a good debate, theories burning up on re-entry, warm
            > friendships and… stuff… but rarely flames… … and if one runs out
            > of ‘less than successful’ projects by which to warm oneself… there is
            > always the scrap and sawdust of the well turned out product…
            >

            > Chas.

          • Ralph Lindberg
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 8, 2009
              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Charles (Arnold) Mallett"
              <eostrebunniturnswood@...> wrote:

              > Greetings to all from Lord Charles d'Arnaud (SCA) aka Thelonious
              > Hieronymous Erasmus Eostrebunni (Ren Faires). Have been a wood turner
              > for just a couple of years and work mostly with local woods, much of
              > it recycled furniture pieces.
              >
              > Haven't worked on a historic lathe, still stuck in the present with a
              > Oneway 2436.

              Greetings, that's one impressive lathe!!!

              Ralg (Nova-DVR, Jet 1014 and a treadle under design)
              AnTir
            • Ralph Lindberg
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 8, 2009
                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Charles (Arnold) Mallett"
                <eostrebunniturnswood@...> wrote:

                > Fire? You mean that I'm not the only one who has found a useful
                > purpose for my various mistakes?

                Hardly!!

                Some time back I was reading a piece on early period turning, where
                the author was working from midden and such finds. She remarked the
                turners must be been highly skilled, due to the lack for spoiled items
                found.

                I laughed, as I know what I do with my spoiled pieces... into the
                barrel, then to the wood-box, then to the wood stove.

                I'm obviously highly skilled (NOT)

                Ralg
                AnTir
              • avery1415@sbcglobal.net
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 9, 2009
                  >Some time back I was reading a piece on early period turning, where
                  >the author was working from midden and such finds. She remarked the
                  >turners must be been highly skilled, due to the lack for spoiled items
                  >found.

                  This must be the same person who decided that despite the fact that our honourable ancestors' houses, fires and many of their tools were made from wood, all artifact axes on e-bay need the adjective "battle" or should be described as having belonged to a knight.

                  Avery
                • Charles (Arnold) Mallett
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 9, 2009
                    <jrwinkler@...> wrote:

                    > Ah. yes Charles. but you TOLD about "Eostrebunni". and dude.
                    that's just
                    > funny. but yea'. the fire is oft composed of experiments gone
                    awry, the
                    > heat of a good debate, theories burning up on re-entry, warm friendships
                    > and. stuff. but rarely flames. . and if one runs out of 'less than
                    > successful' projects by which to warm oneself. there is always the
                    scrap and
                    > sawdust of the well turned out product.
                    >
                    > Chas.

                    It's just that I hate using bloodwood, rosewood, purpleheart, ebony
                    and such just for warmth.
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 9, 2009

                      Yeah – no matter how badly executed my pieces are, they still have one good use: heating the house.

                      Will