Re: [MedievalSawdust] Fw: [MR] Need wood carving recommendations

  • AlbionWood
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 6, 2009
      For tools and wood, look for a nearby Woodcraft store.  They might also host classes for beginning woodcarvers.  They will also have a library of books on the subject.  Look through those for one that specifically shows how to carve the kinds of things you're interested in.  I haven't really done that kind of carving myself so cannot recommend particular sources.

      Basswood is a wonderful carving wood, but ordinary American poplar is almost as good.  Soft and fine-grained, easy to cut.  Widely available and cheap.

      Cheers,
      Tim

      Barbara Dodge wrote:
      Forwarded with permission.

      Gee, is there anyone on this list who might help this lady?

      Barbara.

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 7, 2009
        Don't know where in the Midwest you are, but I have a box of it in the other room that was bought locally. Check with woodwork supply stores in your area.

        On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 7:01 PM, Arthur Slaughter <finnmacart@...> wrote:

        Most hobby stores handle inexpensive carving sets that would work nicely for  making children's toys. A small carving knife like offered by Flexi cut is also very nice to have. Lee Vally Tools is a decent source as well for quality tools of that nature.  I have found the best wood for beginning carvers to be basswood it is soft  and fairly free of  variations in grain . I use it for most of the carvings I do.  When I was on teh West Caost I found alder  nice to work with. Sadly it is not available here in the Midwest.
        Finnr

        .

      • Stan Hunter
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 8, 2009
          I have bought many carving tools from

          Wood Carvers Supply

          They have a wide selection of tools, both hand and power,
          patterns, books, etc.

          Sir Stanford

        • bayard_turner
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 8, 2009
            I don't know how close you are to a decent-sized city, but many towns
            have a woodcarver's club. Ours meets every week, with as much gabbing
            as carving many days. They are a very welcoming group, and will show
            anyone who's interested how to carve. If you're really serious, a
            couple of the best offer more formal instruction for a reasonable
            price. If you know what you want to carve, bring a picture to a
            meeting, and ask if anyone could help you figure out how to do this.

            I'm not sure how to help you find them in your area, but one method
            may be to look for a local chapter of the American Association of
            Woodturners (http://www.woodturner.org). In the Fargo-Moorhead area,
            a number of the turners are also carvers, and one group can usually
            direct you to the other. I'd contact your local AAW chapter and ask
            if they know where the carvers meet.

            Good luck and enjoy!

            Bayard

            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Dodge" <awench1@...>