Fw: [MR] Need wood carving recommendations

  • Barbara Dodge
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 6, 2009
      Forwarded with permission.

      Gee, is there anyone on this list who might help this lady?

      Barbara.

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 6, 2009
        Most hobby stores handle inexpensive carving sets that would work nicely for  making children's toys. A small carving knife like offered by Flexi cut is also very nice to have. Lee Vally Tools is a decent source as well for quality tools of that nature.  I have found the best wood for beginning carvers to be basswood it is soft  and fairly free of  variations in grain . I use it for most of the carvings I do.  When I was on teh West Caost I found alder  nice to work with. Sadly it is not available here in the Midwest.
        Finnr

        To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
        From: awench1@...
        Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 18:16:05 -0500
        Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Fw: [MR] Need wood carving recommendations

        Forwarded with permission.

        Gee, is there anyone on this list who might help this lady?

        Barbara.

        > I'm hoping there's someone out there who can point me to a few things
        > relating to wood carving. I'm an utter and complete novice but I want to
        > learn. I want to carve three-dimensional items (such as dogs, horses,
        > etc.
        > as medieval children's toys and small implements (for display, not for
        > children to actually play with)....
        >
        > so I am in need of recommendations for carving tools and what type of wood
        > would be best suited for such an endeavor (as well as any clue where I
        > might
        > find such wood).
        >

        > --
        > Gina MacNeill
        > AKA Lady Rhiannon of Berra, CP
        > List Moderator of the Atlantianweavers Yahoogroup
        >
        > Under no circumstances will I ever purchase anything offered to me
        > as the result of an unsolicited e-mail message. Nor will I forward
        > chain letters, petitions, mass mailings, or virus warnings to large
        > numbers of others. This is my contribution to the survival of the
        > online community.

      • AlbionWood
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 6, 2009
          For tools and wood, look for a nearby Woodcraft store.  They might also host classes for beginning woodcarvers.  They will also have a library of books on the subject.  Look through those for one that specifically shows how to carve the kinds of things you're interested in.  I haven't really done that kind of carving myself so cannot recommend particular sources.

          Basswood is a wonderful carving wood, but ordinary American poplar is almost as good.  Soft and fine-grained, easy to cut.  Widely available and cheap.

          Cheers,
          Tim

          Barbara Dodge wrote:
          Forwarded with permission.

          Gee, is there anyone on this list who might help this lady?

          Barbara.

          I'm hoping there's someone out there who can point me to a few things
          relating to wood carving.  I'm an utter and complete novice but I want to
          learn.  I want to carve three-dimensional items (such as dogs, horses,
          etc.
          as medieval children's toys and small implements (for display, not for
          children to actually play with)....

          so I am in need of recommendations for carving tools and what type of wood
          would be best suited for such an endeavor (as well as any clue where I
          might
          find such wood).

          --
          Gina MacNeill
          AKA Lady Rhiannon of Berra, CP
          List Moderator of the Atlantianweavers Yahoogroup

          Under no circumstances will I ever purchase anything offered to me
          as the result of an unsolicited e-mail message. Nor will I forward
          chain letters, petitions, mass mailings, or virus warnings to large
          numbers of others. This is my contribution to the survival of the
          online community.

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              mailto:medievalsawdust-digest@yahoogroups.com
              mailto:medievalsawdust-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Marlene Elias
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 7, 2009
            Don't know where in the Midwest you are, but I have a box of it in the other room that was bought locally. Check with woodwork supply stores in your area.

            On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 7:01 PM, Arthur Slaughter <finnmacart@...> wrote:

            Most hobby stores handle inexpensive carving sets that would work nicely for  making children's toys. A small carving knife like offered by Flexi cut is also very nice to have. Lee Vally Tools is a decent source as well for quality tools of that nature.  I have found the best wood for beginning carvers to be basswood it is soft  and fairly free of  variations in grain . I use it for most of the carvings I do.  When I was on teh West Caost I found alder  nice to work with. Sadly it is not available here in the Midwest.
            Finnr

            .

          • Stan Hunter
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 8, 2009
              I have bought many carving tools from

              Wood Carvers Supply

              They have a wide selection of tools, both hand and power,
              patterns, books, etc.

              Sir Stanford

            • bayard_turner
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 8, 2009
                I don't know how close you are to a decent-sized city, but many towns
                have a woodcarver's club. Ours meets every week, with as much gabbing
                as carving many days. They are a very welcoming group, and will show
                anyone who's interested how to carve. If you're really serious, a
                couple of the best offer more formal instruction for a reasonable
                price. If you know what you want to carve, bring a picture to a
                meeting, and ask if anyone could help you figure out how to do this.

                I'm not sure how to help you find them in your area, but one method
                may be to look for a local chapter of the American Association of
                Woodturners (http://www.woodturner.org). In the Fargo-Moorhead area,
                a number of the turners are also carvers, and one group can usually
                direct you to the other. I'd contact your local AAW chapter and ask
                if they know where the carvers meet.

                Good luck and enjoy!

                Bayard

                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Dodge" <awench1@...>