Hello from latest member of list

  • Charles (Arnold) Mallett
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 5, 2009
      Greetings to all from Lord Charles d'Arnaud (SCA) aka Thelonious
      Hieronymous Erasmus Eostrebunni (Ren Faires). Have been a wood turner
      for just a couple of years and work mostly with local woods, much of
      it recycled furniture pieces.

      Haven't worked on a historic lathe, still stuck in the present with a
      Oneway 2436. Almost all of my work is SCA etc. or Ren Faire related:
      sewing needle and sock knitting needle cases, small boxes, cudgels,
      belaying pins, wands, the rare bowl, etc.

      Thanks for having me.

      Oh, location: Morrisville, PA.
    • James Winkler
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 5, 2009
        "Eostrebunni"...   ouch...  please don't tell me ya' wear floppy ears...  ;-)

        Welcome...  pull up a chair... enjoy the fire...   make yer'self ta' home...

        Chas. Oakley

        .

      • Charles (Arnold) Mallett
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 8, 2009
          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, James Winkler <jrwinkler@...>
          wrote:

          > "Eostrebunni"... ouch... please don't tell me ya' wear floppy
          ears... ;-)

          > Welcome... pull up a chair... enjoy the fire... make yer'self ta'
          home...

          > Chas. Oakley

          Fire? You mean that I'm not the only one who has found a useful
          purpose for my various mistakes?
        • Charles (Arnold) Mallett
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 8, 2009
            wrote:

            > "Eostrebunni"... ouch... please don't tell me ya' wear floppy
            ears... ;-)

            > Welcome... pull up a chair... enjoy the fire... make yer'self ta'
            home...

            > Chas. Oakley

            BTW, T.H.E. Eostrebunni is my Ren Faire persona. I also belong to the
            SCA and am known there, and to Marklanders as well, as Charles d'Arnaud.
          • James Winkler
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 8, 2009

              Ah…  yes Charles… but you TOLD about “Eostrebunni”…  and dude… that’s just funny…   but yea’…  the fire is oft composed of experiments gone awry, the heat of a good debate, theories burning up on re-entry, warm friendships and… stuff…  but rarely flames…     … and if one runs out of ‘less than successful’ projects by which to warm oneself… there is always the scrap and sawdust of the well turned out product…

              Chas.

              > "Eostrebunni"... ouch... please don't tell me ya' wear floppy
              ears... ;-)

              > Welcome... pull up a chair... enjoy the fire... make yer'self ta'
              home...

              > Chas. Oakley

              BTW, T.H.E. Eostrebunni is my Ren Faire persona. I also belong to the
              SCA and am known there, and to Marklanders as well, as Charles d'Arnaud.

            • Wolf
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 8, 2009
                I notice Mssr. Oakley has politely avoided mentioning the bonfire of my
                chest with hand-cut dove-tails (my first attempt at doing them)!

                To be honest, the tongue-and-groove joinery isn't bad. And it's
                certainly functional - it rides rather nicely in the back of my coach
                d'Isuzu! It doesn't look "that" bad, I suppose, although those
                dove-tails are just plain fugly!

                Wolf

                On Sun, 2009-02-08 at 14:30 -0600, James Winkler wrote:
                > Ah… yes Charles… but you TOLD about “Eostrebunni”… and dude… that’s
                > just funny… but yea’… the fire is oft composed of experiments gone
                > awry, the heat of a good debate, theories burning up on re-entry, warm
                > friendships and… stuff… but rarely flames… … and if one runs out
                > of ‘less than successful’ projects by which to warm oneself… there is
                > always the scrap and sawdust of the well turned out product…
                >

                > Chas.

              • Ralph Lindberg
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 8, 2009
                  --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Charles (Arnold) Mallett"
                  <eostrebunniturnswood@...> wrote:

                  > Greetings to all from Lord Charles d'Arnaud (SCA) aka Thelonious
                  > Hieronymous Erasmus Eostrebunni (Ren Faires). Have been a wood turner
                  > for just a couple of years and work mostly with local woods, much of
                  > it recycled furniture pieces.
                  >
                  > Haven't worked on a historic lathe, still stuck in the present with a
                  > Oneway 2436.

                  Greetings, that's one impressive lathe!!!

                  Ralg (Nova-DVR, Jet 1014 and a treadle under design)
                  AnTir
                • Ralph Lindberg
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 8, 2009
                    --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Charles (Arnold) Mallett"
                    <eostrebunniturnswood@...> wrote:

                    > Fire? You mean that I'm not the only one who has found a useful
                    > purpose for my various mistakes?

                    Hardly!!

                    Some time back I was reading a piece on early period turning, where
                    the author was working from midden and such finds. She remarked the
                    turners must be been highly skilled, due to the lack for spoiled items
                    found.

                    I laughed, as I know what I do with my spoiled pieces... into the
                    barrel, then to the wood-box, then to the wood stove.

                    I'm obviously highly skilled (NOT)

                    Ralg
                    AnTir
                  • avery1415@sbcglobal.net
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 9, 2009
                      >Some time back I was reading a piece on early period turning, where
                      >the author was working from midden and such finds. She remarked the
                      >turners must be been highly skilled, due to the lack for spoiled items
                      >found.

                      This must be the same person who decided that despite the fact that our honourable ancestors' houses, fires and many of their tools were made from wood, all artifact axes on e-bay need the adjective "battle" or should be described as having belonged to a knight.

                      Avery
                    • Charles (Arnold) Mallett
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 9, 2009
                        <jrwinkler@...> wrote:

                        > Ah. yes Charles. but you TOLD about "Eostrebunni". and dude.
                        that's just
                        > funny. but yea'. the fire is oft composed of experiments gone
                        awry, the
                        > heat of a good debate, theories burning up on re-entry, warm friendships
                        > and. stuff. but rarely flames. . and if one runs out of 'less than
                        > successful' projects by which to warm oneself. there is always the
                        scrap and
                        > sawdust of the well turned out product.
                        >
                        > Chas.

                        It's just that I hate using bloodwood, rosewood, purpleheart, ebony
                        and such just for warmth.
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 9, 2009

                          Yeah – no matter how badly executed my pieces are, they still have one good use: heating the house.

                          Will