Re: Pattens

  • avery1415@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 2, 2009
      I did some pattens a while back out of some scrap fir I had from a house project. It worked alright, but died young due to splitting.

      I'd advise elm as well, but as has been said, it's hard (but not impossible) to track down. I'd say get out the phone book and call a couple woodcutters (or see if someone in your kingdom does this sort of thing for a living) and ask them if they've got an elm to take down any time soon, and, if so, could you have a chunk that's maybe a foot across and a foot and a half long for a project your wanting to try.

      You may get the "G'way kid, you bother me" response a couple times, but you may be able to get your wood for free (except of that painful cutting boards from a log part).

      I'd also say white oak is a pretty good choice.

      Avery
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 2, 2009

        Oh, one other thing you can try:  drill a hole across the grain and glue a dowel in it.  This will re-enforce the structure of the wood and help prevent splitting.

        Will

        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 8, 2009
          Aside from alder and poplar the "Shoes and Pattens" book also notes
          members of the Salicaceae family which would also include willows.
          It'd also be light and easy to work. I've been looking around for
          some to try for this purpose and a hopeful Coppergate box
          reconstruction, but all the wood around here is covered in snow at the
          moment and will be till about May.

          Cedric of Thanet (new to the list)

          <http://windowslive.com/explore?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t2_allup_explore_012009>