RE: [MedievalSawdust] Pattens

  • conradh@efn.org
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 2, 2009
      On Fri, January 30, 2009 9:15 am, Bill McNutt wrote:
      > Is there a new-world equivalent? Or is alder available over here other
      > than at ruinous shipping rates from the Olde Countrie?

      Here in AnTir, we have a couple of alder species that are real trees, not
      trash wood or brush. They are used in furniture making locally, and I
      personally have made wooden handscrew clamps out of them. They were
      strong enough for the clamps and worked easily enough.

      Ulfhedinn
    • avery1415@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 2, 2009
        I did some pattens a while back out of some scrap fir I had from a house project. It worked alright, but died young due to splitting.

        I'd advise elm as well, but as has been said, it's hard (but not impossible) to track down. I'd say get out the phone book and call a couple woodcutters (or see if someone in your kingdom does this sort of thing for a living) and ask them if they've got an elm to take down any time soon, and, if so, could you have a chunk that's maybe a foot across and a foot and a half long for a project your wanting to try.

        You may get the "G'way kid, you bother me" response a couple times, but you may be able to get your wood for free (except of that painful cutting boards from a log part).

        I'd also say white oak is a pretty good choice.

        Avery
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 2, 2009

          Oh, one other thing you can try:  drill a hole across the grain and glue a dowel in it.  This will re-enforce the structure of the wood and help prevent splitting.

          Will

          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 8, 2009
            Aside from alder and poplar the "Shoes and Pattens" book also notes
            members of the Salicaceae family which would also include willows.
            It'd also be light and easy to work. I've been looking around for
            some to try for this purpose and a hopeful Coppergate box
            reconstruction, but all the wood around here is covered in snow at the
            moment and will be till about May.

            Cedric of Thanet (new to the list)

            <http://windowslive.com/explore?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t2_allup_explore_012009>