Re: Pattens

  • cuvien1438
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 1, 2009
      Hey Thanks everybody for all your intelligent responses.

      My pattens were about a half inch thick and were hinged at the ball of
      the foot with inlayed leather. I used tacks like Geoffrey used (see his
      pics), but didn't think to pre-drill! That's likely where I went wrong,
      I think it got cracked by the tack. Now I'll have to consider all the
      woods that have been considered by my friends here before I proceed in
      starting over on my project. Hmmmmm!

      Perhaps I'll stay with my wood and just predrill. At least it won't be
      plywood, which evokes an extraordinarily negative response. I'm ok with
      this and realize that it looks un-period, so I'll keep at it. You guys
      seem like you've done it all before, which is very good for me. I don't
      have to re-invent the wheel.

      Thanks again, and I'll try to get some pics, if I can get the hang of
      it.

      Cuvien
    • Jeff Johnson
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 1, 2009
        I'd be concerned that half-inch thick pattens will split. For the
        amount of effort you are going to put into them, you might want to go
        spend a couple bucks more and use some thicker wood. If you can't get
        thicker wood readily, you could make them double-thick by gluing two
        pieces together on top of each other with some water-proof glue, maybe
        aligning the pieces so the grains aren't exactly parallel, to help
        split resistance.

        Besides, a half-inch thick patten isn't going to keep you well out of
        the mud.

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "cuvien1438" <cuvien1438@...>

        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 1, 2009

          My pattens were about a half inch thick

          I would not go with less than 3/4"

        • conradh@efn.org
          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 2, 2009
            On Fri, January 30, 2009 9:15 am, Bill McNutt wrote:
            > Is there a new-world equivalent? Or is alder available over here other
            > than at ruinous shipping rates from the Olde Countrie?

            Here in AnTir, we have a couple of alder species that are real trees, not
            trash wood or brush. They are used in furniture making locally, and I
            personally have made wooden handscrew clamps out of them. They were
            strong enough for the clamps and worked easily enough.

            Ulfhedinn
          • avery1415@sbcglobal.net
            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 2, 2009
              I did some pattens a while back out of some scrap fir I had from a house project. It worked alright, but died young due to splitting.

              I'd advise elm as well, but as has been said, it's hard (but not impossible) to track down. I'd say get out the phone book and call a couple woodcutters (or see if someone in your kingdom does this sort of thing for a living) and ask them if they've got an elm to take down any time soon, and, if so, could you have a chunk that's maybe a foot across and a foot and a half long for a project your wanting to try.

              You may get the "G'way kid, you bother me" response a couple times, but you may be able to get your wood for free (except of that painful cutting boards from a log part).

              I'd also say white oak is a pretty good choice.

              Avery
              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 2, 2009

                Oh, one other thing you can try:  drill a hole across the grain and glue a dowel in it.  This will re-enforce the structure of the wood and help prevent splitting.

                Will

                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 8, 2009
                  Aside from alder and poplar the "Shoes and Pattens" book also notes
                  members of the Salicaceae family which would also include willows.
                  It'd also be light and easy to work. I've been looking around for
                  some to try for this purpose and a hopeful Coppergate box
                  reconstruction, but all the wood around here is covered in snow at the
                  moment and will be till about May.

                  Cedric of Thanet (new to the list)

                  <http://windowslive.com/explore?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t2_allup_explore_012009>