Re: baby bed ( from constructing medieval furniture )

  • bayard_turner
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 16, 2009
      I don't have the book, but I googled it and was able to see the text
      around the article. It says that it is based on the cradle of Henry
      V. I googled "Henry V Cradle" and found a link to another book, and
      again, the site let me look at some critical pages. This one is
      "Transactions and Publications of the Royal Historical Society..."
      You can see it at http://tinyurl.com/874j5t

      The article references etchings, which I think I found at :
      http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Cradle_of_Henry_V.jpg

      Hope this helps.

      Bayard

      <baronconal@...> wrote:

      > yeah.... not the one I'm thinking.....
      >
      > thanks anyway
      >
      > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
      >
      > Aude Aliquid Dignum
      > ' Dare Something Worthy '
      >

      > ________________________________

      yahoogroups. com ] On Behalf Of Hall, Hayward
      > Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2009
      > 2:29 PM
      > To: medievalsawdust@ yahoogroups. com
      > Subject: RE: [MedievalSawdust]
      > baby bed ( from constructing medieval furniture )
      >
      > Try this: http://tinyurl. com/6sofq5
      >
      > Pretty sweet. We're about to have
      > twin boys, so I'll take 2 please.
      >
      > Guillaume
      >
      > From:medievalsawdust@ yahoogroups. com
      O'hAirt Jim
      > Hart
      > Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2009
      > 4:26 PM
      > To: medievalsawdust@ yahoogroups. com
      > Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust]
      > baby bed ( from constructing medieval furniture )
      >
      > links gives
      > me a yahoo photos search page....
      >

      > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
      >
      > Aude Aliquid Dignum
      > ' Dare Something Worthy '
      >

      > ________________________________

      2F&no=3&tt=25&sigr=11g9nhiv1&sigi=11g3jqh7t&sigb=133ifq05l&sigh=1158aihuj

      > Check this out…
      > Robert du Bourg
      > Sénéchal du Havre des Glaces
      > Homme d'Arme de Lord Marek O'Brien
      > ____________ _________ _________ ___
      > bobby.bourgoin@
      > sympatico. ca
      > Bobby Bourgoin
      > ____________ _________ _________ ___
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Jeff Johnson
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 17, 2009
        We never had a problem with it tipping. The key is to place the center
        of radius for the curve of the bottom way above the center of gravity
        for the loaded cradle. Plus, cradles are usually for babies who aren't
        old enough to be moving about, especially since they would have been
        swaddled. Our boys loved being swaddled.

        Pics of a happy boy being mummy-wrapped:

        http://www.mathildegirlgenius.com/Documentation/KASF2006/InfantOutfit.pdf

        I don't have plans for the cradle, but it's pretty easy to figure out,
        just tenon the panels into the corner posts. And you get MASSIVE
        brownie points with the wife. ;)

        I figured out after gluing it up that I could have make it break-down.
        Just make the side panels solid and the legs saddle-socketed onto the
        rockers and the pegs hold them on.

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Hall, Hayward" <hallh@...> wrote:

        > Hey, and that one comes with a fully dressed kid. Those always seem
        > unstable to me (both of them) especially if a young-un was to climb to
        > one side. Are they really stable?

      • Jeff Johnson
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 17, 2009
          That's not really believed to be Henry's Cradle.

          It's in the Museum of London. I have a half dozen photos of it, and a
          whole paper full of cradle documentation. (checks...) Hey, it's ready
          to post! Let me talk to my site manager/wife and see if she can get it
          online.

          Jeff
          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "bayard_turner" <williams@...>

          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 17, 2009

            That's not really believed to be Henry's Cradle.

            It's in the Museum of London. I have a half dozen photos of it, and a
            whole paper full of cradle documentation. (checks...) Hey, it's ready
            to post! Let me talk to my site manager/wife and see if she can get it
            online.

            Jeff

            are those digital photos?

            could I ask politely for copies?

          • Jeff Johnson
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 18, 2009
              Sure, go ahead & ask.

              ;P

              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 18, 2009
                ( rolls eyes.... )

                May I please have copies of the photos?

                > That's not really believed to be Henry's Cradle.
                >
                > It's in the Museum of London. I have a half dozen photos of it, and a
                > whole paper full of cradle documentation. (checks...) Hey, it's ready
                > to post! Let me talk to my site manager/wife and see if she can get it
                > online.
                >
                > Jeff
                >

                > are those digital photos?
                >
                > could I ask politely for copies?
                >

                > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                >
                > Aude Aliquid Dignum
                > ' Dare Something Worthy '

              • Jeff Johnson
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 19, 2009
                  Just pulling your chain. I was out of town over the weekend and had to
                  get to them on my other 'puter. I should be able to get them sent
                  tonite. I'm just taking a quick lunch break for lunch from planing my
                  bench (pant, pant, pant) before installing a LV twin-screw on my
                  bench. (gloat)