Re: (not medieval ) black laquer faux finish?

  • Tsura to je Stariji (LA. Judge)
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 15, 2009
      Humble greetings,

      In the mundane world I am a master painter and have done quite a bit
      of faux finishing over the years. If you find that you must use
      acrylics on a lacquer project, may I suggest using Golden's Fluid
      Acrylic Colors for color coats and Polyvine Acrylic Lacquer for the
      lacquer coats. The Fluid Acrylics flow nicely and fill in any minor
      blemishes within a few coats. Polyvine's Acrylic Lacquer will give you
      a tough sandable topcoat that will not yellow or cloud even with
      several layers. (Do remember to use a new brush for the lacquer coats
      since any residual color will show.) Build both up in several (4+)
      coats with a fine brush and you will have an excellent faux lacquer
      finish.

      Just my suggestion,
      Tsura
      Barony of Bright Hills

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Michael T Combs <stmike7@...>
      wrote:

      > a few layers still had gaps so when it dried i just kept putting on
      another layer until it was completely smooth. I did sand it lightly
      between layers
      > time frame? for painting maybe 3 days for a small table 4 sq ft
      >
      > michaeus

      something like that but putting layers upon layers (10?) of black
      glossy craft paint and then covering that with poly. it looked pretty
      good