Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Table leg

  • Wolf
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 9, 2009
      Swe-e-e-e-t!

      Beautiful window, do you know anything about it? Where it is, when it
      was made, etc?

      (a request from SWMBO <g>)

      On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 22:25 -0500, Stan Hunter wrote:
      > The best image I know of showing the construction of table trestles,
      > with no nasty table-cloths, is attached.
      >
      > Sir Stanford

    • Hall, Hayward
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 9, 2009
        Now all we need are plans for period monkeys.

        ________________________________

        On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 22:25 -0500, Stan Hunter wrote:
        > The best image I know of showing the construction of table trestles,
        > with no nasty table-cloths, is attached.
        >
        > Sir Stanford

      • Jeff Johnson
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 12, 2009
          Why go all the way through the top? I've played with pegs in the top
          of the legs and partway though the table top. You don't even need to
          make the holes in the bottom of the top very precise - the objective
          is to pevent the top from sliding more than a inch or two.

          <baronconal@...> wrote:

          > An idea just came to me..... at least for a table top made up
          > of separate planks....
          >
          > It may not be documentable but it probably would work to
          > hold the outermost planks in place... or all of them for that matter
          > could be done this way....
          >
          > A pin with a shoulder that goes through the top into the
          > cross bar to hold the two outermost planks in place...
          > You would just drop it in then push it up from below to remove it
          >
          > Drawing link
          >

          > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
          >
          > Aude Aliquid Dignum
          > ' Dare Something Worthy '
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Jeff Johnson
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 12, 2009
            But the surviving ones are mostly later and of afixed to the legs. (No
            finds of trestles coincides with no finds of trestle tops. :) ) Most
            of what you see in illustrations seem pretty thin. I suspect it might
            just be that the simple solution of gravity and friction held table
            tops in place and that people then knew better than to lean against
            tables.
          • Jeff Johnson
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 12, 2009
              Wow. I'd seen that stained glass image in far less resolution before.
              I hadn't dreamed it'd have that level of detail on the leg.

              THANK YOU!

              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Wolf <wolfeyes@...> wrote:

              > Swe-e-e-e-t!
              >
              > Beautiful window, do you know anything about it? Where it is, when it
              > was made, etc?
              >
              > (a request from SWMBO <g>)
              >
              > On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 22:25 -0500, Stan Hunter wrote:
              > > The best image I know of showing the construction of table trestles,
              > > with no nasty table-cloths, is attached.
              > >
              > > Sir Stanford

            • gunwaldt
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 13, 2009
                Could someone post this in the files section for those of us who don't
                receive attachments?

                thanks,
                Gunwaldt

                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Stan Hunter" <sd_hunter@...>