was Water Cooler now jockey box

  • logan
    Message 1 of 27 , Oct 12, 2003
      Message
      ive tried about all of those.  i got lucky actually and i guy is on his way with what he claims is a 50 gallon barrel that he got from an old whiskey mill.  just found it and he is on his way as we speak to give it to me.  i just need to build him something cool (anyone have any images of period oriental furniture handy??)

      a jockey box is basically the thing you get your soda from at mcdonalds.  or, more appropriately, what you get beer from at festivals.  basically ambient temperature drink (beer in my case) gets drawn from a keg into a long tube that is inside a cooler full of ice.  mine will be a 120' stainless steel coil drawn from a keg through the false X legs of the barrel stand into the bottom of the barrel.  as the beer draws through the thin walled steel tubing it is cooled to roughly 34-35 degrees.  perfect for that high end brew i drink!  same thing happens at the fast food place.  the syrup is drawn through a line then mixed with the soda water.  those lines sit in the ice that you use to fill your cups.

      its much better than trying to cool an entire keg of beer (which really takes 36 hours) since all you have to do is maintain the cooler the line sits in.  mine will be hidden inside the barrel with the pull on the front of the barrel.  it will look like a barrel of beer that simply doesnt run out.  the keg and co2 tank will be in the short box the keg sits on.  basically a box on the ground hip high (3') with two large wooden x's and the barrel on top.  however, the back "x" will be hollow and the tap line from the keg will run through it and into the barrel where they come in contact.  the keg will be easy to replace and i can muffle the box enough so that you wont hear the co2 discharge.  at 120' you can pretty much keep a steady pull on the tap and get really cold beer on a 85 degree day.

      best regards
      logan
      Message 2 of 27 , Oct 12, 2003
        >Carving is definately on my list of things to try my hand at. I don't think
        >it will ever be one of my strong points.

        Try it and find out... you may surprise yourself.

        This and a couple other projects have definitely whetted my appetite for
        carving. Fortunately I have a pretty substantial Gothic carving project
        coming up in a couple of months; otherwise I would be in danger of
        seduction by that Viking stuff.

        > How long did it take you to make?

        I have not kept track of my hours on this piece. I've been working on it
        off-and-on for about three months now. Much of the time has been spent
        figuring out how to adapt the joinery to incorporate those tusk-tenons
        (customer specification), how to do the floorboards, and how to join it
        front-to-back. Lots of head-scratching, and no small amount of staring off
        into space...

        Cheers,
        Colin

        Albion Works
        Furniture and Accessories
        For the Medievalist!
        http://www.albionworks.net
        http://www.albionworks.com
      • Joseph Hayes
        Message 3 of 27 , Oct 13, 2003
          --- Tim Bray <tbray@...> wrote:
          > I just uploaded some photos of my current project, a "Rohirric" chest
          > based on a customer's design.

          Looks like I'm not the only one freeze-framing Two Towers to check out
          the furniture.... <grin>...

          Ulrich

          http://shopping.yahoo.com
        • Dan Baker
          Message 4 of 27 , Oct 13, 2003
            Now that sounds like a neat project.

            I did something similar. I used a 55 gallon whiskey barrel and converted it
            into a keg cooler. I use 3 or 5 gallon cornelious kegs (coke suryp tanks).
            The barrel was a rubbermade trash can inside with foam injected in between
            the layers. Corny kegs are single wall and a lot smaller diameter then a
            beer keg so they cool in a hour or so in Ice. I generally put the keg, and
            the CO2 tank both in the barrel and fill with ice. it will hold temp 24 to
            36 hours even in hot weather. Takes about 6 bags of ice and you have room
            to throw cans and bottles on top. Its a bit awkward to store between events
            though.

            Downside of my design it the barrrel must be upright. Your can be on a
            crossbuck, I like that.
            --
            In service to the dream,

            Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
            Privateer to the Midrealm

            Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
            (Take time to dance in the rain)

            Cymru am byth ("Wales Forever")

            >From: "logan" <dukelogan@...>
            >To: <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com>
            >Subject: [medievalsawdust] was Water Cooler now jockey box
            >Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 19:21:26 -0400
            >
            >ive tried about all of those. i got lucky actually and i guy is on his way
            >with what he claims is a 50 gallon barrel that he got from an old whiskey
            >mill. just found it and he is on his way as we speak to give it to me. i
            >just need to build him something cool (anyone have any images of period
            >oriental furniture handy??)
            >
            >a jockey box is basically the thing you get your soda from at mcdonalds.
            >or, more appropriately, what you get beer from at festivals. basically
            >ambient temperature drink (beer in my case) gets drawn from a keg into a
            >long tube that is inside a cooler full of ice. mine will be a 120'
            >stainless steel coil drawn from a keg through the false X legs of the
            >barrel
            >stand into the bottom of the barrel. as the beer draws through the thin
            >walled steel tubing it is cooled to roughly 34-35 degrees. perfect for
            >that
            >high end brew i drink! same thing happens at the fast food place. the
            >syrup is drawn through a line then mixed with the soda water. those lines
            >sit in the ice that you use to fill your cups.
            >
            >its much better than trying to cool an entire keg of beer (which really
            >takes 36 hours) since all you have to do is maintain the cooler the line
            >sits in. mine will be hidden inside the barrel with the pull on the front
            >of the barrel. it will look like a barrel of beer that simply doesnt run
            >out. the keg and co2 tank will be in the short box the keg sits on.
            >basically a box on the ground hip high (3') with two large wooden x's and
            >the barrel on top. however, the back "x" will be hollow and the tap line
            >from the keg will run through it and into the barrel where they come in
            >contact. the keg will be easy to replace and i can muffle the box enough
            >so
            >that you wont hear the co2 discharge. at 120' you can pretty much keep a
            >steady pull on the tap and get really cold beer on a 85 degree day.

            Help protect your PC. Get a FREE computer virus scan online from McAfee.
          • logan
            Message 5 of 27 , Oct 13, 2003
              Message
              ahhh crossbuck thanks, i knew there was a name for it.

              update:

              i got the barrel last night and it is huge.  it also had several gallons of ethanol or something similar in it.  apparently some of the whiskey sat in it and soaked into the oak and went bad (the guy who dropped it off explained it quickly).  i carefully removed one of the plugs and dropped my hose into it and filled it to overflowing with water.  stinks like hell.  it smells a lot better today and i will let it fry out soon.

              so here is a question,

              there are about 25 pin hole leaks in the body of this thing.  while i do not intend for it to hold liquid i do not want it leaking all over my camp.  i know there must be a product that i can paint the interior of this thing with to seal those little holes before i figure out what i am going to insulate it with (i have a few ideas).  i really need only a cavity the size of a medium personal cooler inside to keep my coil cold.

              any ideas??

              regards
              logan

              Message 6 of 27 , Oct 13, 2003
                > Anybody else working on anything?
                > --

                Just got back from Colonial Williamsburg
                Had a great time.

                I've got a few things going....

                a new wheel for my wheelbarrow...

                gonna try a plane....

                maybe a bow lathe...

                parts for water clock number 2
                ( bigger and better this time
                The water tanks will hold about
                5 gallons )

                =====
                Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

                http://shopping.yahoo.com
              • thorkatlamana
                Message 7 of 27 , Oct 14, 2003
                  Wonderful job. If I could scratch my head and put something like
                  that together, I'd be pretty satisfied.

                  Thorkatla
                • Dan Baker
                  Message 8 of 27 , Oct 15, 2003
                    Heh, I remeved all the rings on one end and the top dropped in. I got both
                    lungs full of air from the barrel... whew, quick drunk.

                    Lets see. If it was a whiskey barrel, its going to be burned on the inside.
                    Thats going to make it tuff to coat.. you can try a heavy urathane resin
                    like this Arm-r-seal stuff.
                    http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/showdetl.cfm?offerings_id=5339&objectgroup_id=315&catid=53

                    Oh, think about this, I assume you are going to have access on one end to
                    put in ice. what about taking a 55 gallon plastic drum and cutting it in
                    half lengthwise, or a rubber made trash can if a drum won't fit? Just set
                    it in the barrel like a dish to hold the ice and tubbing.

                    Something else though. I refinished the outside of my barrel. Couple
                    things I learned. If you don't know how to put a barrel together, don't
                    take it apart... I don't, 'nuff said. What I learned to do is to take off
                    all the rings on one end, and refinish that end, then put them back before
                    you take off the other half. This will keep your barrel from becoming
                    firewood. That fire hardened white oak is a bear to refinish, even a belt
                    sander barely works. I found that a good handheld electric planer does the
                    job in minuites. It leave it splinter free, but with a rough hewn look that
                    I kind of like. Keep in mind the rings won't be in the same spot if you
                    remove some material. I left 2 of 6 rings out when I put mine back. Looked
                    more even that way. And if you leave the barrel in a dry place between
                    evens, the rings will loosen up. I ended up nailing through the rings
                    after a year or two. My large Barrel cooler is in the photos section. If
                    you like I can send you a file copy of the Artes Draconis article on
                    building mine.

                    --
                    In service to the dream,

                    Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
                    Privateer to the Midrealm

                    Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
                    (Take time to dance in the rain)

                    Cymru am byth ("Wales Forever")

                    >From: "logan" <dukelogan@...>
                    >To: <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com>
                    >Subject: RE: [medievalsawdust] was Water Cooler now jockey box
                    >Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 14:35:22 -0400
                    >
                    >ahhh crossbuck thanks, i knew there was a name for it.
                    >
                    >update:
                    >
                    >i got the barrel last night and it is huge. it also had several gallons of
                    >ethanol or something similar in it. apparently some of the whiskey sat in
                    >it and soaked into the oak and went bad (the guy who dropped it off
                    >explained it quickly). i carefully removed one of the plugs and dropped my
                    >hose into it and filled it to overflowing with water. stinks like hell.
                    >it
                    >smells a lot better today and i will let it fry out soon.
                    >
                    >so here is a question,
                    >
                    >there are about 25 pin hole leaks in the body of this thing. while i do
                    >not
                    >intend for it to hold liquid i do not want it leaking all over my camp. i
                    >know there must be a product that i can paint the interior of this thing
                    >with to seal those little holes before i figure out what i am going to
                    >insulate it with (i have a few ideas). i really need only a cavity the
                    >size
                    >of a medium personal cooler inside to keep my coil cold.
                    >
                    >any ideas??

                    Page a contact�s mobile phone with MSN Messenger 6.0. Download it now FREE!
                    Message 9 of 27 , Oct 15, 2003
                      ah ha! that 'splains all the black bits that came out when i flooded it
                      with water. the cut in half barrel sounds good. i might try to fit it with
                      a water garden liner first then put the half barrel in second. i was
                      thinking of cutting a half circle in the bottom to use for access and ice
                      fills. will look at that resin also. i have used a two-part epoxy resin
                      with success on all sorts of uneven surfaces so that too might be an option.
                      and sure, i would love to see that file.

                      regards
                      logan

> [...]

                      stinks like hell.
                      >it
                      >smells a lot better today and i will let it fry out soon.
                      >
                      >so here is a question,
                      >
                      >there are about 25 pin hole leaks in the body of this thing. while i
                      >do
                      >not
                      >intend for it to hold liquid i do not want it leaking all over my camp. i
                      >know there must be a product that i can paint the interior of this thing
                      >with to seal those little holes before i figure out what i am going to
                      >insulate it with (i have a few ideas). i really need only a cavity the
                      >size
                      >of a medium personal cooler inside to keep my coil cold.
                      >
                      >any ideas??

                      Page a contact's mobile phone with MSN Messenger 6.0. Download it now FREE!

                      http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
                      http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/LmiolB/TM
                    • Scott Lane
                      Message 10 of 27 , Oct 15, 2003
                        >ah ha! that 'splains all the black bits that came out when i flooded it

                        Use a wire bristly brush in a drill and it will take off most of
                        the loose charred wood. It will be easier to coat that way.

                        Aodhfin
                      • Dan Baker
                        Message 11 of 27 , Oct 16, 2003
                          Nifty, Love the first water clock.

                          Making a flat plane or a molding one?

                          --
                          In service to the dream,

                          Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
                          Privateer to the Midrealm

                          Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
                          (Take time to dance in the rain)

                          Cymru am byth ("Wales Forever")

                          >From: Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@...>
                          >To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                          >Subject: Re: [medievalsawdust] Water Cooler
                          >Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 16:21:35 -0700 (PDT)
                          >

                          > > Anybody else working on anything?
                          > > --
                          >

                          >Just got back from Colonial Williamsburg
                          >Had a great time.
                          >

                          >I've got a few things going....
                          >
                          >a new wheel for my wheelbarrow...
                          >
                          >gonna try a plane....
                          >
                          >maybe a bow lathe...
                          >
                          >parts for water clock number 2
                          > ( bigger and better this time
                          > The water tanks will hold about
                          > 5 gallons )
                          >

                          >=====
                          >Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                          >Seneschal, Barony of Fenix
                          >
                          > Aude Aliquid Dignum
                          > ' Dare Something Worthy '

                          >http://shopping.yahoo.com

                          See when your friends are online with MSN Messenger 6.0. Download it now
                          FREE! http://msnmessenger-download.com
                          Message 12 of 27 , Oct 16, 2003
                            --- Dan Baker <Capten_Rhys@...> wrote:
                            > Nifty, Love the first water clock.
                            >
                            > Making a flat plane or a molding one?

                            probably a flat plane first
                            the goal is a matched pair for
                            tongue and groove joints.

                            =====
                            Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                            Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

                            http://shopping.yahoo.com
                          • Tim Bray
                            Message 13 of 27 , Nov 26, 2003
                              I finally completed this project, and had a pro take some photos of
                              it. You can see them at:
                              http://www.albionworks.net/Rohirric/page1.htm

                              Photos of it "in progress" are in the Photos section of this Group, in the
                              folder "Colin deBray."

                              Not period, or rather a mish-mash of several periods with fantasy holding
                              them together, but it was a wild project. In addition to all the weird
                              joinery (clamped-front, tusk-tenons, frame-and panel, even dovetails!),
                              this was my first ammonia-fuming project, and also a new finishing
                              technique for me (oil and shellac).

                              Whew. This thing put me behind schedule, and now I have to try to catch
                              up... at this time of year? Sheesh.

                              Cheers,
                              Colin

                              Albion Works
                              Furniture and Accessories
                              For the Medievalist!
                              http://www.albionworks.net
                              http://www.albionworks.com
                            • Steve
                              Message 14 of 27 , Nov 28, 2003
                                That is beautifu work I love the way the quarter sawn grain shows. I
                                was wondering if you do your own ironwork or you contract out. I am
                                looking for a source for locks, hinges and such. Any help you could
                                send my way would be greatly appriciated.

                                Steve Vaught
                                Lord Grey's Retinue
                              • Tim Bray
                                Message 15 of 27 , Nov 28, 2003
                                  Thanks very much! The ironwork is from two sources: the hinges and handles
                                  are from Lee Valley, and the lock is from a Canadian company, Quincaillerie
                                  Classique. That's the only commercial source for a medievaloid lock that I
                                  have found. In fact it would be pretty easy to make one just like it: it's
                                  a regular sliding-bar cabinet lock, riveted to a rectangular iron
                                  plate. The hasp is fabricated from scratch, with a staple riveted onto it
                                  to engage the sliding bar.
                                  http://www.classique-hardware.com/index-english.html

                                  Cheers,
                                  Colin

                                  At 03:39 PM 11/28/03 +0000, you wrote:
                                  >That is beautifu work I love the way the quarter sawn grain shows. I
                                  >was wondering if you do your own ironwork or you contract out. I am
                                  >looking for a source for locks, hinges and such. Any help you could
                                  >send my way would be greatly appriciated.
                                  >
                                  >Steve Vaught
                                  >Lord Grey's Retinue
                                • C N Schwartz
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Nov 29, 2003
                                    That is one fine chest. Vivat.

                                    Is it a commission, something you made for a speculative sale, or for your
                                    personal use at events?

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Dec 6, 2003
                                      That is one fine chest.  Vivat.

                                      Thanks!

                                      Is it a commission, something you made for a speculative sale, or for your
                                      personal use at events?

                                      A commission.  In fact the customer did the conceptual design, and I worked out how to do the joinery.  Otherwise I would not have tried to do those tusk-tenons on the ends in conjunction with a clamped-front; there's an inherent conflict there.  Clamped-front chests join front-to-back, not end-to-end.

                                      I showed this to a friend on his computer, and the photos were blurry and pixellated.  Anyone else having trouble with this?

                                      Thanks again,
                                      Colin

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Dec 6, 2003
                                        Message
                                        images were fine on my computer.

                                        regards
                                        logan

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Dec 15, 2003
                                          > Otherwise I would not have tried to do those tusk-tenons on the
                                          ends in conjunction with a clamped-front

                                          What are some examples of tusk-tenons? I see sort of how you used
                                          them here, but are there other example that I might look at to see
                                          how they would have been used?

                                          Thank you.

                                          your servant,
                                          mahee
                                        • Tom Rettie
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Dec 15, 2003
                                            Quoting mahee of acre <mahee_of_acre@...>:

                                            > What are some examples of tusk-tenons? I see sort of how you used
                                            > them here, but are there other example that I might look at to see
                                            > how they would have been used?

                                            Commonly used on trestles, bed frames, and large framework structures such as
                                            looms, printing presses, etc.

                                            Here's some more info:

                                            http://www.his.com/~tom/sca/tusktenons.pdf

                                            --
                                            Tom Rettie tom@...
                                            www.his.com/~tom/index.html
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Dec 15, 2003
                                              I am sorry, I ment a chest that uses them. Do you have any examples
                                              of a chest that uses tusk-tenons or was it only for this chest that
                                              you have ever seen or know of them being used?

                                              Thank you again,

                                              your servant,
                                              mahee of acre

                                              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Tom Rettie <tom@h...> wrote:
                                              > Quoting mahee of acre <mahee_of_acre@y...>:
                                              >
                                              > > What are some examples of tusk-tenons? I see sort of how you used
                                              > > them here, but are there other example that I might look at to
                                              see
                                              > > how they would have been used?
                                              >
                                              > Commonly used on trestles, bed frames, and large framework
                                              structures such as
                                              > looms, printing presses, etc.
                                              >
                                              > Here's some more info:
                                              >
                                              > http://www.his.com/~tom/sca/tusktenons.pdf
                                              >
                                              > --
                                              > Tom Rettie tom@h...
                                              > www.his.com/~tom/index.html
                                            • Tim Bray
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Dec 15, 2003
                                                Mahee asked:

                                                >What are some examples of tusk-tenons?

                                                They are most commonly seen in our period on trestle tables (the 15th -
                                                16th century kind, with two supports and a horizontal stretcher, not the
                                                earlier boards-on-tressels kind). You also see them in some timber frames,
                                                and in ironwork (the 14th century iron framework inside the spire of
                                                Salisbury Cathedral uses them!). Yet another common use was to hold wheels
                                                onto axles; the period equivalent of the cotter pin.

                                                They are my second-favorite joint (after drawbored M&T) because they are so
                                                strong, yet easy to knockdown and reassemble multiple times. A pain to
                                                make, though.

                                                Post-period, they are almost ubiquitous on Arts & Crafts furniture.

                                                I recommend Tom's article!

                                                Cheers,
                                                Colin

                                                Albion Works