Re: Table leg

  • Stan Hunter
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 9, 2009
      The best image I know of showing the construction of table trestles, with no nasty table-cloths, is attached.

      Sir Stanford

    • Wolf
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 9, 2009
        Swe-e-e-e-t!

        Beautiful window, do you know anything about it? Where it is, when it
        was made, etc?

        (a request from SWMBO <g>)

        On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 22:25 -0500, Stan Hunter wrote:
        > The best image I know of showing the construction of table trestles,
        > with no nasty table-cloths, is attached.
        >
        > Sir Stanford

      • Hall, Hayward
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 9, 2009
          Now all we need are plans for period monkeys.

          ________________________________

          On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 22:25 -0500, Stan Hunter wrote:
          > The best image I know of showing the construction of table trestles,
          > with no nasty table-cloths, is attached.
          >
          > Sir Stanford

        • Jeff Johnson
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 12, 2009
            Why go all the way through the top? I've played with pegs in the top
            of the legs and partway though the table top. You don't even need to
            make the holes in the bottom of the top very precise - the objective
            is to pevent the top from sliding more than a inch or two.

            <baronconal@...> wrote:

            > An idea just came to me..... at least for a table top made up
            > of separate planks....
            >
            > It may not be documentable but it probably would work to
            > hold the outermost planks in place... or all of them for that matter
            > could be done this way....
            >
            > A pin with a shoulder that goes through the top into the
            > cross bar to hold the two outermost planks in place...
            > You would just drop it in then push it up from below to remove it
            >
            > Drawing link
            >

            > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
            >
            > Aude Aliquid Dignum
            > ' Dare Something Worthy '
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Jeff Johnson
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 12, 2009
              But the surviving ones are mostly later and of afixed to the legs. (No
              finds of trestles coincides with no finds of trestle tops. :) ) Most
              of what you see in illustrations seem pretty thin. I suspect it might
              just be that the simple solution of gravity and friction held table
              tops in place and that people then knew better than to lean against
              tables.
            • Jeff Johnson
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 12, 2009
                Wow. I'd seen that stained glass image in far less resolution before.
                I hadn't dreamed it'd have that level of detail on the leg.

                THANK YOU!

                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Wolf <wolfeyes@...> wrote:

                > Swe-e-e-e-t!
                >
                > Beautiful window, do you know anything about it? Where it is, when it
                > was made, etc?
                >
                > (a request from SWMBO <g>)
                >
                > On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 22:25 -0500, Stan Hunter wrote:
                > > The best image I know of showing the construction of table trestles,
                > > with no nasty table-cloths, is attached.
                > >
                > > Sir Stanford

              • gunwaldt
                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 13, 2009
                  Could someone post this in the files section for those of us who don't
                  receive attachments?

                  thanks,
                  Gunwaldt

                  --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Stan Hunter" <sd_hunter@...>