Re: Re Trestle tables (sp)

  • Jeff Johnson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 8, 2009
      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Hallie Ewanus" <hallieve@...>
      wrote:

      > Greetings all,
      > They were not attached to the tops that was the whole point they wer
      > put up and taken down as needed. living spaces were small, Even large

      No dispute there! I've been in a couple of real manor houses and
      castles, and the "great hall" isn't usually so much on the "Great Big"
      aspect.

      The question that plagues us folks that do play with making these
      critters is how the legs were put together and joined into the
      transverse pieces that the table tops rest on.

      I've made at least 4 different variations of trestle, based on what
      little artwork I've seen, including a couple of sliding dovetails. I
      really don't see any sliding dovetails before the late 15th C, and
      those seem to be from Northern Italy. Function-wise, I'm pretty sure
      that the sliding dovetails were more of a permanent component of a
      fixed top/cleat arrangement and the leg assemblies would have been
      detached from the cleat if it were to be broken down. Not much period
      evidence for it, aside from a disassembling French table in the Cluny,
      which has the top pegged to the legs, but it seems to make sense if
      you've played with how it all goes together.

      I really need to finish that article on trestle tables that I've got
      drafted...
    • leaking pen
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 8, 2009
        Yes please!