Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re Tressel tables

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 8, 2009
      seconded.... the only attachments I've seen are the
      sliding dovetails at the top of the trestle legs
      but even that was a breakdown style joint that could
      be taken apart and stored out of the way to save
      space in the hall... Everything else I've seen was
      like a sawhorse with planks laid across them to
      make the tabletop.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 8, 2009
        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Hallie Ewanus" <hallieve@...>
        wrote:

        > Greetings all,
        > They were not attached to the tops that was the whole point they wer
        > put up and taken down as needed. living spaces were small, Even large

        No dispute there! I've been in a couple of real manor houses and
        castles, and the "great hall" isn't usually so much on the "Great Big"
        aspect.

        The question that plagues us folks that do play with making these
        critters is how the legs were put together and joined into the
        transverse pieces that the table tops rest on.

        I've made at least 4 different variations of trestle, based on what
        little artwork I've seen, including a couple of sliding dovetails. I
        really don't see any sliding dovetails before the late 15th C, and
        those seem to be from Northern Italy. Function-wise, I'm pretty sure
        that the sliding dovetails were more of a permanent component of a
        fixed top/cleat arrangement and the leg assemblies would have been
        detached from the cleat if it were to be broken down. Not much period
        evidence for it, aside from a disassembling French table in the Cluny,
        which has the top pegged to the legs, but it seems to make sense if
        you've played with how it all goes together.

        I really need to finish that article on trestle tables that I've got
        drafted...
      • leaking pen
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 8, 2009
          Yes please!