Table leg

  • George Irvin
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 6, 2009
      God morning everyone
      I was wondering if someone could point me to info on those Saw horse type table legs arrangements( sorry not sure of thier proper name)  Anything will help.
      Thank you.
      Geo.
    • Jeff Johnson
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 7, 2009
        Trestle tables? There are a few depictions of them in period art of
        the 14th & 15th century, but the problem is that I haven't seen any
        that had a decent enough resolution of or show how they are joined at
        the top or into the table top. Problem is: tablecloths! DAMNED
        TABLECLOTHS!

        http://www.theluttrells.com/LuttrellsAtTable.html

        You'll see a few photos of conjectural reconstructions that some folks
        have made. Some are basic joinery of 3 tapered legs mortised into a
        horizontal board, some have webs between the front pair of legs, and
        some are complex knock-down assemblies.

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "George Irvin" <jmcdade@...>
        wrote:

        > God morning everyone
        > I was wondering if someone could point me to info on those Saw horse
        type table legs arrangements( sorry not sure of thier proper name)
        Anything will help.
        > Thank you.
        > Geo.

      • jay sabath
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 7, 2009
          best source I have is

          http://www.larsdatter.com/tables.htm

          Johannes

          --
          Lord Johannes Machiavelli
          Shire of Rokkehealden
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 7, 2009
            I've never seen anythiung that could tell you how they were done

            I've never heard even a rumor of a surviving piece...

            I've done them like this....if for no other reason
            that it makes sense and it works...

            Picture I

            Picture II

            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 7, 2009
              by the way that single leg does taper
              towards the top. It's about a 10 degree angle.

              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 8, 2009
                George Irvin wrote:

                > God morning everyone
                > I was wondering if someone could point me to info on those Saw horse type table legs arrangements( sorry not sure of thier proper name)
                > Anything will help

                Duke Cariodoc has written up his version of the trestle table at

                http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/miscellany_pdf/Other_Articles_II_Furniture.pdf

                --Johann von Drachenfels
                West Kingdom
              • Hall, Hayward
                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 8, 2009

                  Do you have much problem with the unattached top sliding about during use?  I suppose a heavy tablecloth would help keep things in place.

                  Guillaume

                  Message 8 of 24 , Jan 8, 2009
                    The ones I've made have an assembled table top.

                    Too many small children in my SCA circles to want
                    to take chances with one bumping the table just the
                    right way to make it fall or lean up against it to get
                    one of those cookies while mommy is not watching....

                    I've always put a socket/pocket....whatever on the
                    underside of the table that the crossbar fits into to
                    hold everything in place....

                    Table III
                      this picture kinda shows it....

                    Table IV shows it a little better

                    Message 9 of 24 , Jan 8, 2009
                      Medieval trestle tabletops appear to have been very thick and heavy - the few surviving ones are, at least.  About 1.5 to 2 inches thick, oak, 2 or 3 feet wide... lot of gravity-induced stability.  Still I've always suspected some form of attachment to the trestles.  There's a 15th c. table in Bruges that has cleats on the underside to attach the top to the trestles, but it's also been modified several times, so I have no way to tell if those are original or not.  Don't know about the Penshurst table - anybody here gotten a look at the underside?

                      German trestle tables from ca. 1500 often have dovetail cleats or sliding dovetails to attach the top to the trestles, but those are a different design (and arguably post-medieval).

                      Cheers,
                      Tim

                      Message 10 of 24 , Jan 8, 2009
                        An idea just came to me..... at least for a table top made up
                        of separate planks....

                        It may not be documentable but it probably would work to
                        hold the outermost planks in place... or all of them for that matter
                        could be done this way....

                        A pin with a shoulder that goes through the top into the
                        cross bar to hold the two outermost planks in place...
                        You would just drop it in then push it up from below to remove it

                        Drawing link

                        Message 11 of 24 , Jan 9, 2009
                          This is a problem for SCA trestle tables.  Most of the period trestle tables I have examined have been massive, and the sheer weight of the two inch thick table top prevented that.

                          Will

                          Message 12 of 24 , Jan 9, 2009
                            Here's one depiction of how the legs were joined to the stretcher.
                            It's from a stained glass window at the Cloister's museum in NYC.

                            http://www.redoakleaf.net/Pics/monkeys.jpg

                            I made a set of these that we've used at Pennsic for a couple of years
                            now, and they work very well. The only difference is that I installed
                            cleats on the underside of the table top to keep the top from sliding
                            around. I make the mortises loose enough to knock down at the end of
                            war for ease of transportation.

                            Hope this helps.
                            -----Gille MacDhnouill
                            AEthelmearc.

                            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Johnson"
                            <jljonsn9663@...> wrote:

                            > Trestle tables? There are a few depictions of them in period art of
                            > the 14th & 15th century, but the problem is that I haven't seen any
                            > that had a decent enough resolution of or show how they are joined at
                            > the top or into the table top. Problem is: tablecloths! DAMNED
                            > TABLECLOTHS!
                            >
                            > http://www.theluttrells.com/LuttrellsAtTable.html
                            >
                            > You'll see a few photos of conjectural reconstructions that some folks
                            > have made. Some are basic joinery of 3 tapered legs mortised into a
                            > horizontal board, some have webs between the front pair of legs, and
                            > some are complex knock-down assemblies.
                            >

                            > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "George Irvin" <jmcdade@>
                            > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > God morning everyone
                            > > I was wondering if someone could point me to info on those Saw horse
                            > type table legs arrangements( sorry not sure of thier proper name)
                            > Anything will help.
                            > > Thank you.
                            > > Geo.

                          • Stan Hunter
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jan 9, 2009
                              The best image I know of showing the construction of table trestles, with no nasty table-cloths, is attached.

                              Sir Stanford

                            • Wolf
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jan 9, 2009
                                Swe-e-e-e-t!

                                Beautiful window, do you know anything about it? Where it is, when it
                                was made, etc?

                                (a request from SWMBO <g>)

                                On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 22:25 -0500, Stan Hunter wrote:
                                > The best image I know of showing the construction of table trestles,
                                > with no nasty table-cloths, is attached.
                                >
                                > Sir Stanford

                              • Hall, Hayward
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jan 9, 2009
                                  Now all we need are plans for period monkeys.

                                  ________________________________

                                  On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 22:25 -0500, Stan Hunter wrote:
                                  > The best image I know of showing the construction of table trestles,
                                  > with no nasty table-cloths, is attached.
                                  >
                                  > Sir Stanford

                                • Jeff Johnson
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jan 12, 2009
                                    Why go all the way through the top? I've played with pegs in the top
                                    of the legs and partway though the table top. You don't even need to
                                    make the holes in the bottom of the top very precise - the objective
                                    is to pevent the top from sliding more than a inch or two.

                                    <baronconal@...> wrote:

                                    > An idea just came to me..... at least for a table top made up
                                    > of separate planks....
                                    >
                                    > It may not be documentable but it probably would work to
                                    > hold the outermost planks in place... or all of them for that matter
                                    > could be done this way....
                                    >
                                    > A pin with a shoulder that goes through the top into the
                                    > cross bar to hold the two outermost planks in place...
                                    > You would just drop it in then push it up from below to remove it
                                    >
                                    > Drawing link
                                    >

                                    > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                                    >
                                    > Aude Aliquid Dignum
                                    > ' Dare Something Worthy '
                                    >

                                    > ________________________________

                                  • Jeff Johnson
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jan 12, 2009
                                      But the surviving ones are mostly later and of afixed to the legs. (No
                                      finds of trestles coincides with no finds of trestle tops. :) ) Most
                                      of what you see in illustrations seem pretty thin. I suspect it might
                                      just be that the simple solution of gravity and friction held table
                                      tops in place and that people then knew better than to lean against
                                      tables.
                                    • Jeff Johnson
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jan 12, 2009
                                        Wow. I'd seen that stained glass image in far less resolution before.
                                        I hadn't dreamed it'd have that level of detail on the leg.

                                        THANK YOU!

                                        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Wolf <wolfeyes@...> wrote:

                                        > Swe-e-e-e-t!
                                        >
                                        > Beautiful window, do you know anything about it? Where it is, when it
                                        > was made, etc?
                                        >
                                        > (a request from SWMBO <g>)
                                        >
                                        > On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 22:25 -0500, Stan Hunter wrote:
                                        > > The best image I know of showing the construction of table trestles,
                                        > > with no nasty table-cloths, is attached.
                                        > >
                                        > > Sir Stanford

                                      • gunwaldt
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jan 13, 2009
                                          Could someone post this in the files section for those of us who don't
                                          receive attachments?

                                          thanks,
                                          Gunwaldt

                                          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Stan Hunter" <sd_hunter@...>