Re: a woodworkers Christmas Carol.

  • Ralph Lindberg
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 1, 2009
      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "bayard_turner" <williams@...>
      wrote:

      > I wrote this for my turning club's Christmas party last year.
      >
      > "Grandpa's gone!", shouted Pat, as he ran down the hall.
      > "He's missing, he's vanished. He's nowhere at all!
      > Pat rifled the kitchen, he opened each cupboard,
      > He looked in the oven, and finally he blubbered,

      That's rather good, I would like to use that in my turning club's
      newsletter if I could...(our Christmas party got delayed to January,
      again... 2nd year in a row)

      Ralg
      AnTir
    • bayard_turner
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 1, 2009
        Feel free - I wrote it for the MinnDak Woodturners in Fargo,
        ND/Moorhead, MN. When I hang with them, I go by my mundane name - Ron
        Williams.

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Lindberg" <n7bsn@...>
        wrote:

        > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "bayard_turner" <williams@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > I wrote this for my turning club's Christmas party last year.
        > >
        > > "Grandpa's gone!", shouted Pat, as he ran down the hall.
        > > "He's missing, he's vanished. He's nowhere at all!
        > > Pat rifled the kitchen, he opened each cupboard,
        > > He looked in the oven, and finally he blubbered,
        > >

        > That's rather good, I would like to use that in my turning club's
        > newsletter if I could...(our Christmas party got delayed to January,
        > again... 2nd year in a row)
        >
        > Ralg
        > AnTir

      • George Irvin
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 6, 2009
          God morning everyone
          I was wondering if someone could point me to info on those Saw horse type table legs arrangements( sorry not sure of thier proper name)  Anything will help.
          Thank you.
          Geo.
        • Jeff Johnson
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 7, 2009
            Trestle tables? There are a few depictions of them in period art of
            the 14th & 15th century, but the problem is that I haven't seen any
            that had a decent enough resolution of or show how they are joined at
            the top or into the table top. Problem is: tablecloths! DAMNED
            TABLECLOTHS!

            http://www.theluttrells.com/LuttrellsAtTable.html

            You'll see a few photos of conjectural reconstructions that some folks
            have made. Some are basic joinery of 3 tapered legs mortised into a
            horizontal board, some have webs between the front pair of legs, and
            some are complex knock-down assemblies.

            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "George Irvin" <jmcdade@...>
            wrote:

            > God morning everyone
            > I was wondering if someone could point me to info on those Saw horse
            type table legs arrangements( sorry not sure of thier proper name)
            Anything will help.
            > Thank you.
            > Geo.

          • jay sabath
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 7, 2009
              best source I have is

              http://www.larsdatter.com/tables.htm

              Johannes

              --
              Lord Johannes Machiavelli
              Shire of Rokkehealden
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 7, 2009
                I've never seen anythiung that could tell you how they were done

                I've never heard even a rumor of a surviving piece...

                I've done them like this....if for no other reason
                that it makes sense and it works...

                Picture I

                Picture II

                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 7, 2009
                  by the way that single leg does taper
                  towards the top. It's about a 10 degree angle.

                  Message 8 of 24 , Jan 8, 2009
                    George Irvin wrote:

                    > God morning everyone
                    > I was wondering if someone could point me to info on those Saw horse type table legs arrangements( sorry not sure of thier proper name)
                    > Anything will help

                    Duke Cariodoc has written up his version of the trestle table at

                    http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/miscellany_pdf/Other_Articles_II_Furniture.pdf

                    --Johann von Drachenfels
                    West Kingdom
                  • Hall, Hayward
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jan 8, 2009

                      Do you have much problem with the unattached top sliding about during use?  I suppose a heavy tablecloth would help keep things in place.

                      Guillaume

                      Message 10 of 24 , Jan 8, 2009
                        The ones I've made have an assembled table top.

                        Too many small children in my SCA circles to want
                        to take chances with one bumping the table just the
                        right way to make it fall or lean up against it to get
                        one of those cookies while mommy is not watching....

                        I've always put a socket/pocket....whatever on the
                        underside of the table that the crossbar fits into to
                        hold everything in place....

                        Table III
                          this picture kinda shows it....

                        Table IV shows it a little better

                        Message 11 of 24 , Jan 8, 2009
                          Medieval trestle tabletops appear to have been very thick and heavy - the few surviving ones are, at least.  About 1.5 to 2 inches thick, oak, 2 or 3 feet wide... lot of gravity-induced stability.  Still I've always suspected some form of attachment to the trestles.  There's a 15th c. table in Bruges that has cleats on the underside to attach the top to the trestles, but it's also been modified several times, so I have no way to tell if those are original or not.  Don't know about the Penshurst table - anybody here gotten a look at the underside?

                          German trestle tables from ca. 1500 often have dovetail cleats or sliding dovetails to attach the top to the trestles, but those are a different design (and arguably post-medieval).

                          Cheers,
                          Tim

                          Message 12 of 24 , Jan 8, 2009
                            An idea just came to me..... at least for a table top made up
                            of separate planks....

                            It may not be documentable but it probably would work to
                            hold the outermost planks in place... or all of them for that matter
                            could be done this way....

                            A pin with a shoulder that goes through the top into the
                            cross bar to hold the two outermost planks in place...
                            You would just drop it in then push it up from below to remove it

                            Drawing link

                            Message 13 of 24 , Jan 9, 2009
                              This is a problem for SCA trestle tables.  Most of the period trestle tables I have examined have been massive, and the sheer weight of the two inch thick table top prevented that.

                              Will

                              Message 14 of 24 , Jan 9, 2009
                                Here's one depiction of how the legs were joined to the stretcher.
                                It's from a stained glass window at the Cloister's museum in NYC.

                                http://www.redoakleaf.net/Pics/monkeys.jpg

                                I made a set of these that we've used at Pennsic for a couple of years
                                now, and they work very well. The only difference is that I installed
                                cleats on the underside of the table top to keep the top from sliding
                                around. I make the mortises loose enough to knock down at the end of
                                war for ease of transportation.

                                Hope this helps.
                                -----Gille MacDhnouill
                                AEthelmearc.

                                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Johnson"
                                <jljonsn9663@...> wrote:

                                > Trestle tables? There are a few depictions of them in period art of
                                > the 14th & 15th century, but the problem is that I haven't seen any
                                > that had a decent enough resolution of or show how they are joined at
                                > the top or into the table top. Problem is: tablecloths! DAMNED
                                > TABLECLOTHS!
                                >
                                > http://www.theluttrells.com/LuttrellsAtTable.html
                                >
                                > You'll see a few photos of conjectural reconstructions that some folks
                                > have made. Some are basic joinery of 3 tapered legs mortised into a
                                > horizontal board, some have webs between the front pair of legs, and
                                > some are complex knock-down assemblies.
                                >

                                > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "George Irvin" <jmcdade@>
                                > wrote:
                                > >
                                > > God morning everyone
                                > > I was wondering if someone could point me to info on those Saw horse
                                > type table legs arrangements( sorry not sure of thier proper name)
                                > Anything will help.
                                > > Thank you.
                                > > Geo.

                              • Stan Hunter
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jan 9, 2009
                                  The best image I know of showing the construction of table trestles, with no nasty table-cloths, is attached.

                                  Sir Stanford

                                • Wolf
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jan 9, 2009
                                    Swe-e-e-e-t!

                                    Beautiful window, do you know anything about it? Where it is, when it
                                    was made, etc?

                                    (a request from SWMBO <g>)

                                    On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 22:25 -0500, Stan Hunter wrote:
                                    > The best image I know of showing the construction of table trestles,
                                    > with no nasty table-cloths, is attached.
                                    >
                                    > Sir Stanford

                                  • Hall, Hayward
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jan 9, 2009
                                      Now all we need are plans for period monkeys.

                                      ________________________________

                                      On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 22:25 -0500, Stan Hunter wrote:
                                      > The best image I know of showing the construction of table trestles,
                                      > with no nasty table-cloths, is attached.
                                      >
                                      > Sir Stanford

                                    • Jeff Johnson
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jan 12, 2009
                                        Why go all the way through the top? I've played with pegs in the top
                                        of the legs and partway though the table top. You don't even need to
                                        make the holes in the bottom of the top very precise - the objective
                                        is to pevent the top from sliding more than a inch or two.

                                        <baronconal@...> wrote:

                                        > An idea just came to me..... at least for a table top made up
                                        > of separate planks....
                                        >
                                        > It may not be documentable but it probably would work to
                                        > hold the outermost planks in place... or all of them for that matter
                                        > could be done this way....
                                        >
                                        > A pin with a shoulder that goes through the top into the
                                        > cross bar to hold the two outermost planks in place...
                                        > You would just drop it in then push it up from below to remove it
                                        >
                                        > Drawing link
                                        >

                                        > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                                        >
                                        > Aude Aliquid Dignum
                                        > ' Dare Something Worthy '
                                        >

                                        > ________________________________

                                      • Jeff Johnson
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jan 12, 2009
                                          But the surviving ones are mostly later and of afixed to the legs. (No
                                          finds of trestles coincides with no finds of trestle tops. :) ) Most
                                          of what you see in illustrations seem pretty thin. I suspect it might
                                          just be that the simple solution of gravity and friction held table
                                          tops in place and that people then knew better than to lean against
                                          tables.
                                        • Jeff Johnson
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jan 12, 2009
                                            Wow. I'd seen that stained glass image in far less resolution before.
                                            I hadn't dreamed it'd have that level of detail on the leg.

                                            THANK YOU!

                                            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Wolf <wolfeyes@...> wrote:

                                            > Swe-e-e-e-t!
                                            >
                                            > Beautiful window, do you know anything about it? Where it is, when it
                                            > was made, etc?
                                            >
                                            > (a request from SWMBO <g>)
                                            >
                                            > On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 22:25 -0500, Stan Hunter wrote:
                                            > > The best image I know of showing the construction of table trestles,
                                            > > with no nasty table-cloths, is attached.
                                            > >
                                            > > Sir Stanford

                                          • gunwaldt
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jan 13, 2009
                                              Could someone post this in the files section for those of us who don't
                                              receive attachments?

                                              thanks,
                                              Gunwaldt

                                              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Stan Hunter" <sd_hunter@...>