a woodworkers Christmas Carol.

  • leaking pen
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 24, 2008
      A friend posted this, its swedish originally, hence the horrid rhyme
      scheme. Enjoy.

      And now in English:

      That's our little Jens, he's working all day long.
      He's plying on something exciting that will soon be a present.
      Now it's just a pile of boards, but guess what it will become!
      A sewing table like mum wants with lots of drawers in.

      Chorus:
      She's sure to want it,
      she's sure to be happy.
      And that it's a useful thing is something no one can deny.

      But the legs are the worst, for when he puts them on,
      two of them are too long, and the other two too short.
      He saws it off, and saws it off, and finally it's become,
      a chest where mum can keep her knitting in.

      Chorus

      A chest is just as good, let no one disagree.
      Now it's just the lid that doesn't want to be complete.
      Because as he planes he sees clearly that it will become,
      a small trunk where mum can put away scissors and embroidery.

      Chorus

      But then the trunk needs to be planed nicely and levelled just a bit,
      and the one who levels diligently is our little Jens.
      And as he levels it's obvious that it will become,
      a box where mum can hide letters and paper.

      Chorus

      Now he just needs to plane the right side here,
      and then he's just gonna plane the left side there.
      And suddenly the box is a small bird feeder,
      that mum can keep in her window with oatmeal and fat.

      Chorus

      And now the present is done, and even though the long finger is blue,
      and the thumb has a plaster strip, he's very thrilled now.
      Because the present is all wrapped up, and guess what mum is getting!
      A chopping board which mum can use to make school lunches!

      Chorus
    • the_spanishpeacock@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 25, 2008
        WOW!  The story of my woodworking life.....turned into a Swedish poem!

        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 26, 2008
          I wrote this for my turning club's Christmas party last year.

          "Grandpa's gone!", shouted Pat, as he ran down the hall.
          "He's missing, he's vanished. He's nowhere at all!
          Pat rifled the kitchen, he opened each cupboard,
          He looked in the oven, and finally he blubbered,

          "I've searched this whole place, from bottom to top.
          I looked in the attic, the outhouse, the shop."
          "He's missing, I tell you, the signs are all there.
          His coffee cup's cold, and there's dust on his chair."

          "The paper's still folded up neat in its wrapper,
          and there's no sign he's even been close to the …bathroom."
          "He's vanished, he's history. Oh, who should we call?
          The sheriff? His posse, with bloodhounds and all?"

          "Calm down", whispered Gran, "You're making me dizzy."
          "You're running around with your head in a tizzy!"
          "Sit down at the table, breathe deeply, relax,
          then tell me what's happened, but please, just the facts."

          Pat took a deep breath, and then started his tale,
          How he'd hunted for Grandpa, to go get the mail.
          But Gramps wasn't handy, nowhere in sight,
          and Pat hadn't seen him since supper last night!

          So he started his search, in each nook in cranny,
          but ended up empty, and crying to Granny.
          Gran nodded her head, said, "I know what to do."
          She got up from the table, set coffee to brew.

          She got out a sweet roll, and heated it up,
          then poured out some coffee in a battered old cup.
          She led Patrick down to the door of the shop,
          but Pat said, "I looked there, from bottom to top."

          "Its empty, I tell you, he's not in this place.
          Aliens took him, and left not a trace!"
          Gran smiled and said, "He's a turner, you know.
          And this time of year he just seems to glow."

          "He's out in this place for hours each day,
          with nary a thought as to go or to stay."
          She opened the door, but they heard not a sound.
          Empty indeed, but for chips on the ground.

          But she held up the plate with the coffee and sweets,
          and room quickly filled with the smells of the treats.
          Then up from the heap, where the chips were all piled,
          a face slowly rose, it blinked, and it smiled.
          "Grandpa!" yelled Pat, "You were here all the while!"
          and Gran slipped away with a wink and a smile.

          So if, in this season of gifts and of wishing,
          you find that your turner is gone, vanished, missing,
          Before you give in to fear and despair,
          go sift through the chips, they're most likely still there.
        • Ralph Lindberg
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 1, 2009
            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "bayard_turner" <williams@...>
            wrote:

            > I wrote this for my turning club's Christmas party last year.
            >
            > "Grandpa's gone!", shouted Pat, as he ran down the hall.
            > "He's missing, he's vanished. He's nowhere at all!
            > Pat rifled the kitchen, he opened each cupboard,
            > He looked in the oven, and finally he blubbered,

            That's rather good, I would like to use that in my turning club's
            newsletter if I could...(our Christmas party got delayed to January,
            again... 2nd year in a row)

            Ralg
            AnTir
          • bayard_turner
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 1, 2009
              Feel free - I wrote it for the MinnDak Woodturners in Fargo,
              ND/Moorhead, MN. When I hang with them, I go by my mundane name - Ron
              Williams.

              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Lindberg" <n7bsn@...>
              wrote:

              > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "bayard_turner" <williams@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > I wrote this for my turning club's Christmas party last year.
              > >
              > > "Grandpa's gone!", shouted Pat, as he ran down the hall.
              > > "He's missing, he's vanished. He's nowhere at all!
              > > Pat rifled the kitchen, he opened each cupboard,
              > > He looked in the oven, and finally he blubbered,
              > >

              > That's rather good, I would like to use that in my turning club's
              > newsletter if I could...(our Christmas party got delayed to January,
              > again... 2nd year in a row)
              >
              > Ralg
              > AnTir

            • George Irvin
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 6, 2009
                God morning everyone
                I was wondering if someone could point me to info on those Saw horse type table legs arrangements( sorry not sure of thier proper name)  Anything will help.
                Thank you.
                Geo.
              • Jeff Johnson
                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 7, 2009
                  Trestle tables? There are a few depictions of them in period art of
                  the 14th & 15th century, but the problem is that I haven't seen any
                  that had a decent enough resolution of or show how they are joined at
                  the top or into the table top. Problem is: tablecloths! DAMNED
                  TABLECLOTHS!

                  http://www.theluttrells.com/LuttrellsAtTable.html

                  You'll see a few photos of conjectural reconstructions that some folks
                  have made. Some are basic joinery of 3 tapered legs mortised into a
                  horizontal board, some have webs between the front pair of legs, and
                  some are complex knock-down assemblies.

                  --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "George Irvin" <jmcdade@...>
                  wrote:

                  > God morning everyone
                  > I was wondering if someone could point me to info on those Saw horse
                  type table legs arrangements( sorry not sure of thier proper name)
                  Anything will help.
                  > Thank you.
                  > Geo.

                • jay sabath
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jan 7, 2009
                    best source I have is

                    http://www.larsdatter.com/tables.htm

                    Johannes

                    --
                    Lord Johannes Machiavelli
                    Shire of Rokkehealden
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jan 7, 2009
                      I've never seen anythiung that could tell you how they were done

                      I've never heard even a rumor of a surviving piece...

                      I've done them like this....if for no other reason
                      that it makes sense and it works...

                      Picture I

                      Picture II

                      Message 10 of 24 , Jan 7, 2009
                        by the way that single leg does taper
                        towards the top. It's about a 10 degree angle.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Jan 8, 2009
                          George Irvin wrote:

                          > God morning everyone
                          > I was wondering if someone could point me to info on those Saw horse type table legs arrangements( sorry not sure of thier proper name)
                          > Anything will help

                          Duke Cariodoc has written up his version of the trestle table at

                          http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/miscellany_pdf/Other_Articles_II_Furniture.pdf

                          --Johann von Drachenfels
                          West Kingdom
                        • Hall, Hayward
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jan 8, 2009

                            Do you have much problem with the unattached top sliding about during use?  I suppose a heavy tablecloth would help keep things in place.

                            Guillaume

                            Message 13 of 24 , Jan 8, 2009
                              The ones I've made have an assembled table top.

                              Too many small children in my SCA circles to want
                              to take chances with one bumping the table just the
                              right way to make it fall or lean up against it to get
                              one of those cookies while mommy is not watching....

                              I've always put a socket/pocket....whatever on the
                              underside of the table that the crossbar fits into to
                              hold everything in place....

                              Table III
                                this picture kinda shows it....

                              Table IV shows it a little better

                              Message 14 of 24 , Jan 8, 2009
                                Medieval trestle tabletops appear to have been very thick and heavy - the few surviving ones are, at least.  About 1.5 to 2 inches thick, oak, 2 or 3 feet wide... lot of gravity-induced stability.  Still I've always suspected some form of attachment to the trestles.  There's a 15th c. table in Bruges that has cleats on the underside to attach the top to the trestles, but it's also been modified several times, so I have no way to tell if those are original or not.  Don't know about the Penshurst table - anybody here gotten a look at the underside?

                                German trestle tables from ca. 1500 often have dovetail cleats or sliding dovetails to attach the top to the trestles, but those are a different design (and arguably post-medieval).

                                Cheers,
                                Tim

                                Message 15 of 24 , Jan 8, 2009
                                  An idea just came to me..... at least for a table top made up
                                  of separate planks....

                                  It may not be documentable but it probably would work to
                                  hold the outermost planks in place... or all of them for that matter
                                  could be done this way....

                                  A pin with a shoulder that goes through the top into the
                                  cross bar to hold the two outermost planks in place...
                                  You would just drop it in then push it up from below to remove it

                                  Drawing link

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jan 9, 2009
                                    This is a problem for SCA trestle tables.  Most of the period trestle tables I have examined have been massive, and the sheer weight of the two inch thick table top prevented that.

                                    Will

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jan 9, 2009
                                      Here's one depiction of how the legs were joined to the stretcher.
                                      It's from a stained glass window at the Cloister's museum in NYC.

                                      http://www.redoakleaf.net/Pics/monkeys.jpg

                                      I made a set of these that we've used at Pennsic for a couple of years
                                      now, and they work very well. The only difference is that I installed
                                      cleats on the underside of the table top to keep the top from sliding
                                      around. I make the mortises loose enough to knock down at the end of
                                      war for ease of transportation.

                                      Hope this helps.
                                      -----Gille MacDhnouill
                                      AEthelmearc.

                                      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Johnson"
                                      <jljonsn9663@...> wrote:

                                      > Trestle tables? There are a few depictions of them in period art of
                                      > the 14th & 15th century, but the problem is that I haven't seen any
                                      > that had a decent enough resolution of or show how they are joined at
                                      > the top or into the table top. Problem is: tablecloths! DAMNED
                                      > TABLECLOTHS!
                                      >
                                      > http://www.theluttrells.com/LuttrellsAtTable.html
                                      >
                                      > You'll see a few photos of conjectural reconstructions that some folks
                                      > have made. Some are basic joinery of 3 tapered legs mortised into a
                                      > horizontal board, some have webs between the front pair of legs, and
                                      > some are complex knock-down assemblies.
                                      >

                                      > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "George Irvin" <jmcdade@>
                                      > wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > God morning everyone
                                      > > I was wondering if someone could point me to info on those Saw horse
                                      > type table legs arrangements( sorry not sure of thier proper name)
                                      > Anything will help.
                                      > > Thank you.
                                      > > Geo.

                                    • Stan Hunter
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jan 9, 2009
                                        The best image I know of showing the construction of table trestles, with no nasty table-cloths, is attached.

                                        Sir Stanford

                                      • Wolf
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jan 9, 2009
                                          Swe-e-e-e-t!

                                          Beautiful window, do you know anything about it? Where it is, when it
                                          was made, etc?

                                          (a request from SWMBO <g>)

                                          On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 22:25 -0500, Stan Hunter wrote:
                                          > The best image I know of showing the construction of table trestles,
                                          > with no nasty table-cloths, is attached.
                                          >
                                          > Sir Stanford

                                        • Hall, Hayward
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jan 9, 2009
                                            Now all we need are plans for period monkeys.

                                            ________________________________

                                            On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 22:25 -0500, Stan Hunter wrote:
                                            > The best image I know of showing the construction of table trestles,
                                            > with no nasty table-cloths, is attached.
                                            >
                                            > Sir Stanford

                                          • Jeff Johnson
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jan 12, 2009
                                              Why go all the way through the top? I've played with pegs in the top
                                              of the legs and partway though the table top. You don't even need to
                                              make the holes in the bottom of the top very precise - the objective
                                              is to pevent the top from sliding more than a inch or two.

                                              <baronconal@...> wrote:

                                              > An idea just came to me..... at least for a table top made up
                                              > of separate planks....
                                              >
                                              > It may not be documentable but it probably would work to
                                              > hold the outermost planks in place... or all of them for that matter
                                              > could be done this way....
                                              >
                                              > A pin with a shoulder that goes through the top into the
                                              > cross bar to hold the two outermost planks in place...
                                              > You would just drop it in then push it up from below to remove it
                                              >
                                              > Drawing link
                                              >

                                              > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                                              >
                                              > Aude Aliquid Dignum
                                              > ' Dare Something Worthy '
                                              >

                                              > ________________________________

                                            • Jeff Johnson
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jan 12, 2009
                                                But the surviving ones are mostly later and of afixed to the legs. (No
                                                finds of trestles coincides with no finds of trestle tops. :) ) Most
                                                of what you see in illustrations seem pretty thin. I suspect it might
                                                just be that the simple solution of gravity and friction held table
                                                tops in place and that people then knew better than to lean against
                                                tables.
                                              • Jeff Johnson
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Jan 12, 2009
                                                  Wow. I'd seen that stained glass image in far less resolution before.
                                                  I hadn't dreamed it'd have that level of detail on the leg.

                                                  THANK YOU!

                                                  --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Wolf <wolfeyes@...> wrote:

                                                  > Swe-e-e-e-t!
                                                  >
                                                  > Beautiful window, do you know anything about it? Where it is, when it
                                                  > was made, etc?
                                                  >
                                                  > (a request from SWMBO <g>)
                                                  >
                                                  > On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 22:25 -0500, Stan Hunter wrote:
                                                  > > The best image I know of showing the construction of table trestles,
                                                  > > with no nasty table-cloths, is attached.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Sir Stanford

                                                • gunwaldt
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Jan 13, 2009
                                                    Could someone post this in the files section for those of us who don't
                                                    receive attachments?

                                                    thanks,
                                                    Gunwaldt

                                                    --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Stan Hunter" <sd_hunter@...>