Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: 18th century brace (drill)

  • AlbionWood
    Message 1 of 31 , Dec 16, 2008
      Well, that's red oak for you. It should smooth out with use, which
      will also provide the most authentic finish: the natural patina from the
      oils on your hands and the grime from work. I really doubt most
      medieval hand tools received any other finish.

      Cheers,
      Tim

      Dave wrote:
      > Plain beeswax is probably my best choice for my own
      > situation, besides it fills in the pores of the oak well (I have
      > raised the grain with water twice and I still cannot sand it down
      > satisfactorily).
    • Hall, Hayward
      Message 31 of 31 , Jan 6, 2009
        No, it doesn't have to, but a finish, especially oil, is going to retard
        swelling and shrinking from moisture which leads to splitting. Since
        there's no disadvantage, why not? By far, the antique tools in my
        collection that have an intact finish have faired better.

        Guillaume