Water Cooler

  • Dan Baker
    Message 1 of 27 , Oct 10, 2003
      New photo under Rhys' Stuff in the photo section. A barrel hiding a 5
      gallon water cooler inside.

      It was a fun project, took about 3-4 hours work over a couple of evenings to
      build. My lady is going to paint it, black rings, green vines up the sides,
      stuff like that.

      Next thing, a Mastermyr Chest as a barter item to the local blacksmith.
      Traded one chest for a used viking a-frame tent.

      Anybody else working on anything?
      --
      In service to the dream,

      Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
      Privateer to the Midrealm

      Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
      (Take time to dance in the rain)

      Cymru am byth ("Wales Forever")

      http://msnmessenger-download.com
    • logan
      Message 2 of 27 , Oct 10, 2003
        Message
        lovely!  i am making a jockey box hidden in a barrel but i cant find any barrels.  where do you find yours?

        regards
        logan

        Message 3 of 27 , Oct 10, 2003
          Capten Rhys asked if anybody else was working on anything... I just
          uploaded some photos of my current project, a "Rohirric" chest based on a
          customer's design. Stylistically a mish-mash, with elements of Viking,
          Gothic, and Arts & Crafts... it's been a fun project, but I'm hoping to
          finish it soon and get on to the four Tyldal chairs that are next on the list.

          The photos are in a folder named "Colin deBray."

          Cheers,
          Colin

          Albion Works
          Furniture and Accessories
          For the Medievalist!
          http://www.albionworks.net
          http://www.albionworks.com
        • Dan Baker
          Message 4 of 27 , Oct 12, 2003
            thanks.

            I got lucky, I found it when I was taking some stuff to the landfill, guy
            next to me was about to toss it away. Have you tried junk stores (ultra
            cheap antiques), flea markets, cider mills.. lets see where else... ebay
            maybe.

            Whats a jockey box???

            --
            In service to the dream,

            Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
            Privateer to the Midrealm

            Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
            (Take time to dance in the rain)

            Cymru am byth ("Wales Forever")

            >From: "logan" <dukelogan@...>
            >To: <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com>
            >Subject: RE: [medievalsawdust] Water Cooler
            >Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 20:04:43 -0400
            >
            >lovely! i am making a jockey box hidden in a barrel but i cant find any
            >barrels. where do you find yours?
            >
            >regards
            >logan

            Add MSN 8 Internet Software to your existing Internet access and enjoy
            patented spam protection and more. Sign up now!
            http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/byoa
          • Dan Baker
            Message 5 of 27 , Oct 12, 2003
              that cool, I like that!

              Carving is definately on my list of things to try my hand at. I don't think
              it will ever be one of my strong points. How long did it take you to make?

              --
              In service to the dream,

              Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
              Privateer to the Midrealm

              Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
              (Take time to dance in the rain)

              Cymru am byth ("Wales Forever")

              Help protect your PC. Get a FREE computer virus scan online from McAfee.
            • logan
              Message 6 of 27 , Oct 12, 2003
                Message
                ive tried about all of those.  i got lucky actually and i guy is on his way with what he claims is a 50 gallon barrel that he got from an old whiskey mill.  just found it and he is on his way as we speak to give it to me.  i just need to build him something cool (anyone have any images of period oriental furniture handy??)

                a jockey box is basically the thing you get your soda from at mcdonalds.  or, more appropriately, what you get beer from at festivals.  basically ambient temperature drink (beer in my case) gets drawn from a keg into a long tube that is inside a cooler full of ice.  mine will be a 120' stainless steel coil drawn from a keg through the false X legs of the barrel stand into the bottom of the barrel.  as the beer draws through the thin walled steel tubing it is cooled to roughly 34-35 degrees.  perfect for that high end brew i drink!  same thing happens at the fast food place.  the syrup is drawn through a line then mixed with the soda water.  those lines sit in the ice that you use to fill your cups.

                its much better than trying to cool an entire keg of beer (which really takes 36 hours) since all you have to do is maintain the cooler the line sits in.  mine will be hidden inside the barrel with the pull on the front of the barrel.  it will look like a barrel of beer that simply doesnt run out.  the keg and co2 tank will be in the short box the keg sits on.  basically a box on the ground hip high (3') with two large wooden x's and the barrel on top.  however, the back "x" will be hollow and the tap line from the keg will run through it and into the barrel where they come in contact.  the keg will be easy to replace and i can muffle the box enough so that you wont hear the co2 discharge.  at 120' you can pretty much keep a steady pull on the tap and get really cold beer on a 85 degree day.

                best regards
                logan

                Message 7 of 27 , Oct 12, 2003
                  >Carving is definately on my list of things to try my hand at. I don't think
                  >it will ever be one of my strong points.

                  Try it and find out... you may surprise yourself.

                  This and a couple other projects have definitely whetted my appetite for
                  carving. Fortunately I have a pretty substantial Gothic carving project
                  coming up in a couple of months; otherwise I would be in danger of
                  seduction by that Viking stuff.

                  > How long did it take you to make?

                  I have not kept track of my hours on this piece. I've been working on it
                  off-and-on for about three months now. Much of the time has been spent
                  figuring out how to adapt the joinery to incorporate those tusk-tenons
                  (customer specification), how to do the floorboards, and how to join it
                  front-to-back. Lots of head-scratching, and no small amount of staring off
                  into space...

                  Cheers,
                  Colin

                  Albion Works
                  Furniture and Accessories
                  For the Medievalist!
                  http://www.albionworks.net
                  http://www.albionworks.com
                • Joseph Hayes
                  Message 8 of 27 , Oct 13, 2003
                    --- Tim Bray <tbray@...> wrote:
                    > I just uploaded some photos of my current project, a "Rohirric" chest
                    > based on a customer's design.

                    Looks like I'm not the only one freeze-framing Two Towers to check out
                    the furniture.... <grin>...

                    Ulrich

                    http://shopping.yahoo.com
                  • Dan Baker
                    Message 9 of 27 , Oct 13, 2003
                      Now that sounds like a neat project.

                      I did something similar. I used a 55 gallon whiskey barrel and converted it
                      into a keg cooler. I use 3 or 5 gallon cornelious kegs (coke suryp tanks).
                      The barrel was a rubbermade trash can inside with foam injected in between
                      the layers. Corny kegs are single wall and a lot smaller diameter then a
                      beer keg so they cool in a hour or so in Ice. I generally put the keg, and
                      the CO2 tank both in the barrel and fill with ice. it will hold temp 24 to
                      36 hours even in hot weather. Takes about 6 bags of ice and you have room
                      to throw cans and bottles on top. Its a bit awkward to store between events
                      though.

                      Downside of my design it the barrrel must be upright. Your can be on a
                      crossbuck, I like that.

                      Message 10 of 27 , Oct 13, 2003
                        Message
                        ahhh crossbuck thanks, i knew there was a name for it.

                        update:

                        i got the barrel last night and it is huge.  it also had several gallons of ethanol or something similar in it.  apparently some of the whiskey sat in it and soaked into the oak and went bad (the guy who dropped it off explained it quickly).  i carefully removed one of the plugs and dropped my hose into it and filled it to overflowing with water.  stinks like hell.  it smells a lot better today and i will let it fry out soon.

                        so here is a question,

                        there are about 25 pin hole leaks in the body of this thing.  while i do not intend for it to hold liquid i do not want it leaking all over my camp.  i know there must be a product that i can paint the interior of this thing with to seal those little holes before i figure out what i am going to insulate it with (i have a few ideas).  i really need only a cavity the size of a medium personal cooler inside to keep my coil cold.

                        any ideas??

                        regards
                        logan

                        Message 11 of 27 , Oct 13, 2003
                          > Anybody else working on anything?
                          > --

                          Just got back from Colonial Williamsburg
                          Had a great time.

                          I've got a few things going....

                          a new wheel for my wheelbarrow...

                          gonna try a plane....

                          maybe a bow lathe...

                          parts for water clock number 2
                          ( bigger and better this time
                          The water tanks will hold about
                          5 gallons )

                          =====
                          Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                          Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

                          http://shopping.yahoo.com
                        • thorkatlamana
                          Message 12 of 27 , Oct 14, 2003
                            Wonderful job. If I could scratch my head and put something like
                            that together, I'd be pretty satisfied.

                            Thorkatla
                          • Dan Baker
                            Message 13 of 27 , Oct 15, 2003
                              Heh, I remeved all the rings on one end and the top dropped in. I got both
                              lungs full of air from the barrel... whew, quick drunk.

                              Lets see. If it was a whiskey barrel, its going to be burned on the inside.
                              Thats going to make it tuff to coat.. you can try a heavy urathane resin
                              like this Arm-r-seal stuff.
                              http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/showdetl.cfm?offerings_id=5339&objectgroup_id=315&catid=53

                              Oh, think about this, I assume you are going to have access on one end to
                              put in ice. what about taking a 55 gallon plastic drum and cutting it in
                              half lengthwise, or a rubber made trash can if a drum won't fit? Just set
                              it in the barrel like a dish to hold the ice and tubbing.

                              Something else though. I refinished the outside of my barrel. Couple
                              things I learned. If you don't know how to put a barrel together, don't
                              take it apart... I don't, 'nuff said. What I learned to do is to take off
                              all the rings on one end, and refinish that end, then put them back before
                              you take off the other half. This will keep your barrel from becoming
                              firewood. That fire hardened white oak is a bear to refinish, even a belt
                              sander barely works. I found that a good handheld electric planer does the
                              job in minuites. It leave it splinter free, but with a rough hewn look that
                              I kind of like. Keep in mind the rings won't be in the same spot if you
                              remove some material. I left 2 of 6 rings out when I put mine back. Looked
                              more even that way. And if you leave the barrel in a dry place between
                              evens, the rings will loosen up. I ended up nailing through the rings
                              after a year or two. My large Barrel cooler is in the photos section. If
                              you like I can send you a file copy of the Artes Draconis article on
                              building mine.

                              --
                              In service to the dream,

                              Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
                              Privateer to the Midrealm

                              Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
                              (Take time to dance in the rain)

                              Cymru am byth ("Wales Forever")

                              >From: "logan" <dukelogan@...>
                              >To: <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com>
                              >Subject: RE: [medievalsawdust] was Water Cooler now jockey box
                              >Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 14:35:22 -0400
                              >
                              >ahhh crossbuck thanks, i knew there was a name for it.
                              >
                              >update:
                              >
                              >i got the barrel last night and it is huge. it also had several gallons of
                              >ethanol or something similar in it. apparently some of the whiskey sat in
                              >it and soaked into the oak and went bad (the guy who dropped it off
                              >explained it quickly). i carefully removed one of the plugs and dropped my
                              >hose into it and filled it to overflowing with water. stinks like hell.
                              >it
                              >smells a lot better today and i will let it fry out soon.
                              >
                              >so here is a question,
                              >
                              >there are about 25 pin hole leaks in the body of this thing. while i do
                              >not
                              >intend for it to hold liquid i do not want it leaking all over my camp. i
                              >know there must be a product that i can paint the interior of this thing
                              >with to seal those little holes before i figure out what i am going to
                              >insulate it with (i have a few ideas). i really need only a cavity the
                              >size
                              >of a medium personal cooler inside to keep my coil cold.
                              >
                              >any ideas??

                              Page a contact´┐Żs mobile phone with MSN Messenger 6.0. Download it now FREE!
                              Message 14 of 27 , Oct 15, 2003
                                ah ha! that 'splains all the black bits that came out when i flooded it
                                with water. the cut in half barrel sounds good. i might try to fit it with
                                a water garden liner first then put the half barrel in second. i was
                                thinking of cutting a half circle in the bottom to use for access and ice
                                fills. will look at that resin also. i have used a two-part epoxy resin
                                with success on all sorts of uneven surfaces so that too might be an option.
                                and sure, i would love to see that file.

                                regards
                                logan

> [...]

                                >dropped it off explained it quickly). i carefully removed one of the
                                >plugs and dropped my hose into it and filled it to overflowing with water.
                                stinks like hell.
                                >it
                                >smells a lot better today and i will let it fry out soon.
                                >
                                >so here is a question,
                                >
                                >there are about 25 pin hole leaks in the body of this thing. while i
                                >do
                                >not
                                >intend for it to hold liquid i do not want it leaking all over my camp. i
                                >know there must be a product that i can paint the interior of this thing
                                >with to seal those little holes before i figure out what i am going to
                                >insulate it with (i have a few ideas). i really need only a cavity the
                                >size
                                >of a medium personal cooler inside to keep my coil cold.

                                Page a contact's mobile phone with MSN Messenger 6.0. Download it now FREE!

                                http://msnmessenger-download.com

                                http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
                                http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/LmiolB/TM
                              • Scott Lane
                                Message 15 of 27 , Oct 15, 2003
                                  >ah ha! that 'splains all the black bits that came out when i flooded it

                                  Use a wire bristly brush in a drill and it will take off most of
                                  the loose charred wood. It will be easier to coat that way.

                                  Aodhfin
                                • Dan Baker
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Oct 16, 2003
                                    Nifty, Love the first water clock.

                                    Making a flat plane or a molding one?

                                    --
                                    In service to the dream,

                                    Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
                                    Privateer to the Midrealm

                                    Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
                                    (Take time to dance in the rain)

                                    Cymru am byth ("Wales Forever")

                                    >From: Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@...>
                                    >To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                                    >Subject: Re: [medievalsawdust] Water Cooler
                                    >Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 16:21:35 -0700 (PDT)
                                    >

                                    > > Anybody else working on anything?
                                    > > --
                                    >

                                    >Just got back from Colonial Williamsburg
                                    >Had a great time.
                                    >

                                    >I've got a few things going....
                                    >
                                    >a new wheel for my wheelbarrow...
                                    >
                                    >gonna try a plane....
                                    >
                                    >maybe a bow lathe...
                                    >
                                    >parts for water clock number 2
                                    > ( bigger and better this time
                                    > The water tanks will hold about
                                    > 5 gallons )
                                    >

                                    >=====
                                    >Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                                    >Seneschal, Barony of Fenix
                                    >
                                    > Aude Aliquid Dignum
                                    > ' Dare Something Worthy '

                                    >http://shopping.yahoo.com

                                    See when your friends are online with MSN Messenger 6.0. Download it now
                                    FREE! http://msnmessenger-download.com
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Oct 16, 2003
                                      --- Dan Baker <Capten_Rhys@...> wrote:
                                      > Nifty, Love the first water clock.
                                      >
                                      > Making a flat plane or a molding one?

                                      probably a flat plane first
                                      the goal is a matched pair for
                                      tongue and groove joints.

                                      =====
                                      Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                                      Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

                                      http://shopping.yahoo.com
                                    • Tim Bray
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Nov 26, 2003
                                        I finally completed this project, and had a pro take some photos of
                                        it. You can see them at:
                                        http://www.albionworks.net/Rohirric/page1.htm

                                        Photos of it "in progress" are in the Photos section of this Group, in the
                                        folder "Colin deBray."

                                        Not period, or rather a mish-mash of several periods with fantasy holding
                                        them together, but it was a wild project. In addition to all the weird
                                        joinery (clamped-front, tusk-tenons, frame-and panel, even dovetails!),
                                        this was my first ammonia-fuming project, and also a new finishing
                                        technique for me (oil and shellac).

                                        Whew. This thing put me behind schedule, and now I have to try to catch
                                        up... at this time of year? Sheesh.

                                        Cheers,
                                        Colin

                                        Albion Works
                                        Furniture and Accessories
                                        For the Medievalist!
                                        http://www.albionworks.net
                                        http://www.albionworks.com
                                      • Steve
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Nov 28, 2003
                                          That is beautifu work I love the way the quarter sawn grain shows. I
                                          was wondering if you do your own ironwork or you contract out. I am
                                          looking for a source for locks, hinges and such. Any help you could
                                          send my way would be greatly appriciated.

                                          Steve Vaught
                                          Lord Grey's Retinue
                                        • Tim Bray
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Nov 28, 2003
                                            Thanks very much! The ironwork is from two sources: the hinges and handles
                                            are from Lee Valley, and the lock is from a Canadian company, Quincaillerie
                                            Classique. That's the only commercial source for a medievaloid lock that I
                                            have found. In fact it would be pretty easy to make one just like it: it's
                                            a regular sliding-bar cabinet lock, riveted to a rectangular iron
                                            plate. The hasp is fabricated from scratch, with a staple riveted onto it
                                            to engage the sliding bar.
                                            http://www.classique-hardware.com/index-english.html

                                            Cheers,
                                            Colin

                                            At 03:39 PM 11/28/03 +0000, you wrote:
                                            >That is beautifu work I love the way the quarter sawn grain shows. I
                                            >was wondering if you do your own ironwork or you contract out. I am
                                            >looking for a source for locks, hinges and such. Any help you could
                                            >send my way would be greatly appriciated.
                                            >
                                            >Steve Vaught
                                            >Lord Grey's Retinue
                                          • C N Schwartz
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Nov 29, 2003
                                              That is one fine chest. Vivat.

                                              Is it a commission, something you made for a speculative sale, or for your
                                              personal use at events?

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Dec 6, 2003
                                                That is one fine chest.  Vivat.

                                                Thanks!

                                                Is it a commission, something you made for a speculative sale, or for your
                                                personal use at events?

                                                A commission.  In fact the customer did the conceptual design, and I worked out how to do the joinery.  Otherwise I would not have tried to do those tusk-tenons on the ends in conjunction with a clamped-front; there's an inherent conflict there.  Clamped-front chests join front-to-back, not end-to-end.

                                                I showed this to a friend on his computer, and the photos were blurry and pixellated.  Anyone else having trouble with this?

                                                Thanks again,
                                                Colin

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Dec 6, 2003
                                                  Message
                                                  images were fine on my computer.

                                                  regards
                                                  logan

                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Dec 15, 2003
                                                    > Otherwise I would not have tried to do those tusk-tenons on the
                                                    ends in conjunction with a clamped-front

                                                    What are some examples of tusk-tenons? I see sort of how you used
                                                    them here, but are there other example that I might look at to see
                                                    how they would have been used?

                                                    Thank you.

                                                    your servant,
                                                    mahee
                                                  • Tom Rettie
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Dec 15, 2003
                                                      Quoting mahee of acre <mahee_of_acre@...>:

                                                      > What are some examples of tusk-tenons? I see sort of how you used
                                                      > them here, but are there other example that I might look at to see
                                                      > how they would have been used?

                                                      Commonly used on trestles, bed frames, and large framework structures such as
                                                      looms, printing presses, etc.

                                                      Here's some more info:

                                                      http://www.his.com/~tom/sca/tusktenons.pdf

                                                      --
                                                      Tom Rettie tom@...
                                                      www.his.com/~tom/index.html
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Dec 15, 2003
                                                        I am sorry, I ment a chest that uses them. Do you have any examples
                                                        of a chest that uses tusk-tenons or was it only for this chest that
                                                        you have ever seen or know of them being used?

                                                        Thank you again,

                                                        your servant,
                                                        mahee of acre

                                                        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Tom Rettie <tom@h...> wrote:
                                                        > Quoting mahee of acre <mahee_of_acre@y...>:
                                                        >
                                                        > > What are some examples of tusk-tenons? I see sort of how you used
                                                        > > them here, but are there other example that I might look at to
                                                        see
                                                        > > how they would have been used?
                                                        >
                                                        > Commonly used on trestles, bed frames, and large framework
                                                        structures such as
                                                        > looms, printing presses, etc.
                                                        >
                                                        > Here's some more info:
                                                        >
                                                        > http://www.his.com/~tom/sca/tusktenons.pdf
                                                        >
                                                        > --
                                                        > Tom Rettie tom@h...
                                                        > www.his.com/~tom/index.html
                                                      • Tim Bray
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Dec 15, 2003
                                                          Mahee asked:

                                                          >What are some examples of tusk-tenons?

                                                          They are most commonly seen in our period on trestle tables (the 15th -
                                                          16th century kind, with two supports and a horizontal stretcher, not the
                                                          earlier boards-on-tressels kind). You also see them in some timber frames,
                                                          and in ironwork (the 14th century iron framework inside the spire of
                                                          Salisbury Cathedral uses them!). Yet another common use was to hold wheels
                                                          onto axles; the period equivalent of the cotter pin.

                                                          They are my second-favorite joint (after drawbored M&T) because they are so
                                                          strong, yet easy to knockdown and reassemble multiple times. A pain to
                                                          make, though.

                                                          Post-period, they are almost ubiquitous on Arts & Crafts furniture.

                                                          I recommend Tom's article!

                                                          Cheers,
                                                          Colin

                                                          Albion Works