my 16th Century Folding Bed

  • George Oakes
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 10, 2008
      Hey group,

      Just wanted all to know I posted some pictures of the 16th Century
      folding bed, I built from PDF plans on Medieval Encampments yahoo group.
      Since this is a woodworking site I felt the need to post them here as
      well.

      The wood is mostly all Oak Veneered plywood to keep costs down. Except
      for the legs which are 1 1/2 squared Oak wood legs.

      The project was fairly easy to cut the wood out, but assembly was a
      bear. SO MANY HINGES!!!! with at least 6 screws per hinge! UGh In total
      12 Door hinges, 12 hinges for the sides, 2 for the top, 2 more for the
      folding footboard, and 4 latches for the Top, bottom and sides.

      plus mounting plates, for the 4 screw in legs, and 6 nuts and bolts for
      the two middle legs.

      In all the project took a few weeks of building, taking time for
      breaks, nervous breakdowns, events, work etc.....

      If I were to add up the hours that I put into the bed, I would say
      about 40 hours were needed for the entire build.

      I have replaced the side hinges already from flimsy small hinges to
      beefier hinges to take the weight of myself and my lady. The slats and
      the futton mattress make for a nice comfortable sleep, and we have
      enjoyed every minute lying down.

      If others want more details I am working on getting good notes, and new
      dimensions and creating a set of plans for Queen Sized bed too.

      Peace
      Gavin