18th century brace (drill)

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 31 , Dec 9, 2008
      I know that this is a bit "off-century", but I have just finished
      making a replica mid-18th century wood brace for drilling. I do some
      woodworking demos of that era and was frustrated that I could not find
      any braces in antique shops earlier than 1800, so I made one for
      myself. It is made of white oak and I have inserted a real mid-18th
      cent (by my dating estimate) spoon bit. It has not yet been stained or
      finished, I was hoping to get some feedback. I don't have photos at
      the moment, I'll see if I can borrow a digital camera and post
      pictures here, if anyone is interested.
    • Hall, Hayward
      Message 31 of 31 , Jan 6, 2009
        No, it doesn't have to, but a finish, especially oil, is going to retard
        swelling and shrinking from moisture which leads to splitting. Since
        there's no disadvantage, why not? By far, the antique tools in my
        collection that have an intact finish have faired better.

        Guillaume